Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I think the aluminum with brass knob will be close. Might be a bit back end heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

hold your tongue John; don't say it...

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Also switch caps.

GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Due to another early star at work today, I didn’t get an opportunity to swap parts on the TARs this morning. However, I loaded up the aluminum-TAR with a Gillette 7 o’clock black and set the razor at 5.

it was a very close and comfortable shave, and it went without a nick (or so I thought). The Pinaud stung a bit more than usual, but I felt cool, smooth and refreshed. When I got to work and looked in the mirror I had 4 spots with dried blood on my face! The alumni-TAR is silent and deadly set on 5. Watch out!

Tomorrow will be my last day with Tom’s latest creations before I pass them on, and I will miss them dearly. No worries, because Tom will mass market these, sell them by the gazillions, and retire after every man, woman and child owns at least one.

Now let me go check for more dried blood before the boss gets in.
    9CB8ADD3-1D94-4B11-8C2E-C91188439C64.jpeg

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I am sad to say that this morning was my last shave with the TARs. So I thought I would give the last shave to the brass TAR.

I loaded the TAR up with he 7 o’clock black, now on its 3rd shave, and set the razor on 6. Yes, 6! Wow!!! I probably could have gotten through the shave in one pass, but I felt it might be too aggressive and quickly backed down to 5. No issues, no drama and no nicks. It was a very nice shave.

What can I say about the TARs that I didn’t say before? Let’s summarize and start with the handful of negatives. I find the brass to be too heavy and the aluminum to be too light. I have a concern about water having no way to escape where the head screws into the handle (but don’t most razors have that issue?). The head size is huge. Brass will tarnish unless it’s coated with some protective layer. Minor stuff really.

Now on to the positives. The heavy weight of the brass means this razor cuts through whiskers effortlessly. The aluminum puts it on par with the Gillette adjustables in weight. Both razors are maneuverable and easily get around tough areas and the nose without any issues. The shaves are smooth. Rinsing a blade without removing it from the razor is as easy as twisting the knob a few times. The adjustability is awesome and has a setting to fit every occasion and face.

The whole idea of the pass around is to provide feedback. However, to sum up my thoughts, I love these babies! Tom, these razors are fantastic! Sure, I would love to see a few tweaks, but I would jump on these razors “as is” if they were being sold today. Daily driver or in the rotation? Either way they would be a welcome addition. So which do I like best? Tough question. I love the looks of the aluminum in black. My wife likes shiny objects, so she likes the brass. Shave quality goes to the brass, but the aluminum is a very close second. If I had to pick one over the other, the aluminum-TAR is it as it has a more mainstream feel.

Now if Tom could somehow get these into production, I’ll be first on the waiting list to buy one or two. What do you say, Tom?

@twhite , you did a really awesome job with these and it’s been an honor to try them out for the past week. Thank you so much!

@Norcalnewb , I’ll have a tracking number later today that I’ll share with you and Tom.
    786839CE-F22B-452F-999E-363605559321.jpeg

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just did a bit of checking. Blade exposure for anybody that is interested. Fully closed there is .001 positive. Open to 6 .011 positive.

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Correction fully closed .0025. here are a few pictures. The angle of attack changes by 7.25 degrees
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ischiapp, GAW9576, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Ah!!! Good to know. I now feel like a wimp for not completing the shave on 6.

twhite likes this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Don’t. I preferred 4 on the aluminum

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

330790D0-85B4-4879-BB3B-42F327CFCDB7.jpeg

March 3 SOTD:

Razor: Tom White Alumi-TAR
    Blade: Gillette Nacet
    Brush: PAA Starcraft
    Lather: PdP
    Aftershave: PAA Captain Smythe's Reserve
    Additional Care:
    Unrefined Shea Butter

I had a special treat for my shave today: I received a package in the mail yesterday with the two newest creations by @twhite. The brass version is very much a beast, and both are beautiful. The adjustment mechanism is smooth and easy to operate. For today's shave, I chose the aluminum version and set it to 2. Compared to the brass it is a lightweight, but when you use it, the weight feels just about right. There is a slight blade feel at this setting, enough to let you know the razor is doing its thing. The proper angle is intuitive and easy to find. After my first pass, I had a noticeable reduction with no discomfort. Very smooth. A little re-application of lather, and I set up for my second pass. This too was also very smooth, as my typical routine is more or less a XTG pass on number two. After a quick rinse, I could tell I had a nice DFS plus, and I left it there. One shave in, and I am very impressed with this razor. I will likely follow up with the same razor tomorrow, but I will dial it up a bit.

Tom, I must again applaud this razor. Terrific job!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    ischiapp, GAW9576, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good to see the Alumi-TAR back in action. Nice picture, too.

GAW9576, Edison Carter and Norcalnewb like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  14. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jim! I am always amazed at the job Tom does on his razors.

RyX and GAW9576 like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m glad the TARs arrived safely. If you bump the alumi-TAR up to 3, I think you will find it to be a nice mild and efficient setting.

16. Norcalnewb

Thank you for the tip. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

17. Norcalnewb

CF474C62-C3A9-4CFF-B5AA-758DAD8F912F.jpeg

March 4 SOTD:

Razor: Tom White Alumi-TAR
    Blade: Gillette Nacet
    Brush: PAA Starcraft
    Lather: Mystic Waters Coconut Lime Verbena
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
    Additional Care:
    Unrefined Shea Butter

Shave two with the Alumi-TAR; this time I dialed it up to 3. It was a noticeable step up in aggression with more blade feel. Much like yesterday, it was easy to dial in the angle, and two passes gave me a DFS+ level of shave. Again, I didn't have any irritation, so it was a very successful shave. I definitely like this razor and will be said to have to send it in to the next tester.

ischiapp, RyX, GAW9576 and 4 others like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

What a sweet looking machine!

Just curious ... Any issues shaving around your nose? I had NO problems there and wondering how it worked for you.

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I, too, had no problem shaving around my nose.

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

So as you may or may not know. I made a brass TAR for my son for his birthday. This is the first DE that he has tried. He is a disposable user.

He just texted me to say he used the TAR last night on setting 3. He liked it and no blood. . He told me he will not ride the cap as much next time. He used canned goo. When he was living at home he used soap and a brush. I am having come by to pick out any brush he wants and soap.

I am sooooo proud he is going the Wet Shave Route.

Box is from @Jayaruh a thing of beauty. Thank you Jim

[​IMG][​IMG]

ischiapp, RyX, Redfisher and 7 others like this.