Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It's an awesome razor. Good for "lil Tommy."

Redfisher, Tjebbe, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

8F1044DD-C571-4DAF-9066-B2970732253E.jpeg

March 5 SOTD:

Razor: Tom White Alumi-TAR
    Blade: Gillette Nacet
    Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
    Lather: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
    Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
    Additional Care:
    Unrefined Shea Butter

This is the last shave with the Alumi-TAR, and I dialed it to 4. Again, there was a noticeable change in aggressiveness, but the razor remained smooth. I had just about completed my shave, finishing up the second pass on the chin, when I got a little careless and relaxed my chin muscles (?) causing the skin to slacken a bit, and the razor got my just a little. A little styptic pencil took care of it, and I had a nice DFS with no irritation. This razor has been a pleasure to use. Tomorrow, I will go with the brass version for 3 days, then the will be on their way to the next lucky gentleman. I hope everyone has a great day!

RyX, Jim99, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

That's awesome, Tom!

twhite and GAW9576 like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

I haven't had any problems either, but I usually shave using strokes from the middle of my upper lip out on the first pass, and then from the outside towards the middle on the second. Most razors seem to do this well.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Norcalnewb like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Cool picture. Chin muscles huh? Gotta keep them tight.

GAW9576, twhite and Norcalnewb like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

85425D79-9D17-4A52-8FEF-785CDEBD521A.jpeg

March 6 SOTD:

Razor: Tom White TAR
    Lather: Stirling Haverford
    Aftershave: Stirling Haverford
    Additional Care:
    Unrefined Shea Butter

The brass TAR was up this morning, and it definitely has some heft. There is more blade feel, at least to me, with this one than the Alumi-TAR, and when combined with the weight, it makes for a more aggressive shave. I did two passes and ended with a DFS+, minding the little spot I slipped up on yesterday. All in all, it was a definite good first shave with this razor. I hope everyone has a great day!

ischiapp, RyX, Aztecmike and 7 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jim! I'll have to start chin calisthenics to help out.

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The weight of the razor gives all the pressure needed with this baby. The weight is probably why I found this razor to be so smooth. There is definitely more blade feel with the brass as compared to the aluminum TAR, but not a bad feel.

10. Norcalnewb

Agreed, they are both smooth, but there is more blade feel in the brass version.

RyX, GAW9576, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

24FAB05D-65D2-409B-AE88-3341B96871F1.jpeg

March 8 SOTD:

Razor: Tom White TAR
    Lather: MWF
    Aftershave: The Veg
    Additional Care:
    Unrefined Shea Butter

I skipped yesterday, so I am only going to log two shaves with the brass TAR. I dialed it up to 4, which was the highest I had gone on the aluminum version, and was rewarded with a two pass BBS. Very smooth and easy. @twhite has definitely created a couple of excellent razors here. It is interesting between the two, as they shave similarly, but still differently. The Alumi-TAR is a bit milder with a little less blade feel, and the brass with the heft feels more aggressive. But, both are extremely smooth and comfortable. A bug thumbs up from me. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

ischiapp, RyX, Aztecmike and 6 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice setup and shave. The TAR sure takes a fine picture.

Norcalnewb and GAW9576 like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Jayaruh, Norcalnewb and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jim! They are both photogenic.

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

@SharptoothC have you had a chance to try out the razors yet? What do you think?

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

@twhite I haven't gone dark, I promise! I wanted to give a full testing before reporting back on the razors. The first shave was learning the razors. The second one, I knew what I was getting into and had a better feel for them.

First off, I'm very impressed with the build quality. Both razors are lookers, and feel like quality. The means of taking the razors apart threw me off at first. It went against my training. But now that I know how it works, I appreciate your take on it. It gives a good feel for absolute zero setting. Everything held tightly, and I never felt concerned about the blade alignment. Everything was tight and true.

The brass razor was much heavier than I expected. It felt REALLY heavy in the hand. I had to take my time with it. It has a lot of blade feel. I'm not sure if it is the positioning of the blade or the weight mentally weighing on me, but I felt the need to go with a light touch. It wasnt blade chatter at all. I started riding the cap like an asthmatic riding the last horse out of Italy, and finally found the sweet spot as far as angle. After a few false starts, I settled on the "2" setting. For my preferences I couldn't imagine going much higher. There's a pronounced difference between settings. "2" was just right. I used it for the ultimate test for me: a head shave. I usually use a GEM Clog Pruf for head shaves. I have to open up and clean the hair out of most razors multiple times while head shaving. The Clog Pruf has been the closest I've gotten to something, well, clog proof. Well, let me tell you: this TARS deal didnt clog not one single time. I don't know how you did it, but it easily rinses out shaved hair and I never once had to stop. Outstanding.

The next day I tried the aluminum. Man. This thing is the real deal. Easily my preferred option out of the two. It's lightweight without feeling cheap or fragile. It feels like it'll stand up to regular use. I have really enjoyed using it. I bumped it up to "3" and was fine there, but Inthink with regular use I'd be most comfortable at "2". It shaved right well there. I most definitely got a clean shave out of the deal. It felt similar to my Flare Tip at that setting. Comfortable but plenty effective.

I'm gonna give each one more go and should have them on the move Tuesday. I'm downright impressed overall. You are a talented mad genius.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Norcalnewb, twhite, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The TAR CP, huh? I think you are the first head shaver to use the TAR. The brass one is quite a handful.

Edison Carter, twhite and GAW9576 like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Go big or go home, right? Took me a minute, but I got a good shave out of the deal.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Just checking in. Are the razors on the move?