Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Razors arrived today and I will start my use of them tomorrow. Stay tuned for updates.

RyX, GAW9576, Jayaruh and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

RyX, GAW9576, twhite and 2 others like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The aluminum would definitely be in my sights.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Jayaruh, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Mine, too.

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

TWhite TAR Shave #1

Twhite Brass TAR razor
    Gillette Silver Blue blade
    Plisson/L'Occitane brush
    Proraso Green SS
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe
    Proraso Green A/S

1st outing with this razor and …..and....it was interesting. As others have noted, the thing is really heavy which has a great impact on it's use. I lathered up, set the razor at 2 1/2 and after the first couple of strokes went to 2. Upon starting the 2nd pass, turned it down to 1 1/2 and finished up. Very close for sure but...I have to be careful with this one. I find it aggressive as h^%ll and tough on my face. And before some out there start thinking "Woosie", just remember that all things shaving are YMMV. I'm old, my skin is thinning and that has a great impact on what my shaves are like.

I'll use it again tomorrow and report back again. Then I'll go to the Alumi-Tar and let y'all know

Jim99, Jayaruh, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

TWhite TAR Shave #2

TAR razor
    Gillette Silver Blue blade
    Plisson/L'Occitane brush
    Proraso Green SS
    Proraso Green A/S

Same as yesterday but set the razor to a little over 1. That worked much better for me but still felt pretty hard on my face. The weight of the razor is pretty impressive and I'm sure that has a tremendous impact on the overall performance of the razor. Both days have resulted in some weepers and a tender face. Again, in shaving it's YMMV. Now go enjoy your day folks.

Jim99, Jayaruh, RyX and 3 others like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I think you might enjoy the Aluminum one better.

Jim99, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I think so too. Going there tomorrow. The Brass TAR is a wonderfully built razor just don't think it's for me.

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Alumi-TAR Shave #1

Alumi-TAR w/GSB blade
    Plisson/L'Occitane brush
    Proraso Green SS
    Proraso Green A/S

This one is much easier to use, the lighter weight gives it a better feel to me. But it is still as aggressive as the brass one to me. Got a good shave with just a couple of weepers. Will try one more time with it but don't think either of these are for me.

Jayaruh, GAW9576, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Alumi-TAR Shave #2

Same set up as the last shave. And the same results. Time to move on. I'll be sending them out tomorrow

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Huh... I missed the sign up for a Tom's @twhite pass around?
    If there's a Round Two I'd like to get in!
    I'm there with you, and I haven't but seen photos and read shave reports. That brass unit is impressive! When do financial backers start paypaling funds?

Jim99, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  13. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I also please would like to get in if a round two on the pass around is done.

Jim99, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You are added to the list.
    Hope you enjoy it.

Tom

GAW9576, Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You are added also. To this go round

GAW9576 and dmshaver like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  17. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Oh you are very much the man!!!!!

GAW9576, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

BREAKING SHAVE NEWS
    Max Headroom Aggressively.....
    TAR'd & FEATHER'd
    by monster 1/3 lb razor

[​IMG]
    Late this morning during a TSD Adjustables April commemorative shave, one Max Headroom (cyber alter ego of this reporter) is found clutching his face in amazement after shaving with a recent creation of that shave gear wizard @twhite.

Turns out that the TARs (Tom's Adjustable Razor) in both beefy brass and stealthy aluminum are visiting the Headroom Domain for trials. And what a kickoff there was.

Stirling Unscented Sheep always gets the nod on new tests. Even though it has a smell not unlike shoe polish I've used, nothing, and I mean nothing gives up the puffy, thick, slick, protective, long lasting suds like this mutton tallow miracle.

I don't think I recall any of the other testers dialing up more than 4. Here is a shot.....
    [​IMG]
    Certainly aggressive in my book. Here is a Parker Variant wide open for comparison.....
    [​IMG]

Now since we have been hanging out with the 30DC, we have been brainwashed into the idea that adjustable razors should be used wide open, off we went at 6......
    [​IMG]
    Using the common belief that riding the cap with a rock in only enough for blade contact presents the blade at its best shave angle, the minimum.

I'm not sure the guard ever came into play and shaved only riding the cap and edge.

Only occasionally do I feel done or almost done at 2 passes, and this qualified. Selective sectional 3rd pass finish things up.

Alum was talking, but not screaming. And I finished up with Deep Blue Sea from the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks.

Not long ago, I was trying to find a 2011 Muhle R41, just to try. After this shave shave..... Nah.

The fit, function, and attention that went into this is word class A+++. Yup I'd like to own one.

For those of you with MAYhem on the mind here us a shot of another full twist on the adjuster. Well past 10.

[​IMG]

This just might be the best DE shave I've ever had.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23. Blipvert and Corona Virus free.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Excellent review @Edison Carter ! I like your style. You jumped in head first with these gems!

The TARs are both design and engineering marvels. I cranked the brass up to 5 and had a wonderful BBS shave. I was pleasantly surprised at how maneuverable they are.

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the aluminum and comparisons between the two razors.

Edison Carter, twhite and GAW9576 like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    What a read, Mr. Carter! Great shave there.

brit, GAW9576, Jim99 and 2 others like this.