May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Fantastic photos, Keith. The blade and scales on that razor are gorgeous! :D

Your photos put me in mind of visiting Communist run East Berlin when I was in high school--there was something sad, and just a bit scary about being so close to the wall and all its history.

Edison Carter, clint64, jluc and 4 others like this.
  2. timabababaluka

That's fantastic news, Gary! So pleased to hear it :D

clint64, jluc, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  3. timabababaluka

:happy102:

Attitude--I've been looking at it all wrong ;)

Edison Carter, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you Tim..:)

timabababaluka, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  5. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

So I was hanging out with another friend of mine today. He just started wet shaving, ended up showing me the kit he got. I wanna say he got the van der hagen razor with the shave soap, bowl and brush. I gotta be honest, I never owned the shave shave soap bowl and brush kit before, but it seems like a good quality kit. the brush knot is made of boar, so I have to say it's pretty good. He was gonna shave today, wanted to give him some tips, but we got side tracked doing something else. I just hope he enjoys it, cause if he does I'll introduce him to the rest of the wet shaving hobby. I've let him take a look at the different vintage razors I own, and I think when he saw them, He wanted to try wet shaving. I don't think I can blame him. Ever since I switched to wet shaving, I have noticed a difference in my skin but for the better. I'm thinking about also hooking him up with a tub of proraso green because well, who doesn't like proraso green (that smell always reminds me of when I walk into my Italian grand mother's house or any other family member for that matter). I know my last friend liked it when I pifed him the proraso and that vdh razor.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool Myles.good starting point for him.good enough for him to achieve good results with a rule/focus.don't confuse him.:) or show him too much at first..its about learning how to use what you have..

7. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Thanks Gary!

clint64, jluc, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's awesome Myles! The VDH is a good beginner razor. I own one and it does a nice job shaving my face and dome. Hopefully, your friend will see the results that he will be a wetshaving lifer. Take him to the pharmacy and show him what carts cost. He will steer clear of them. Now, just don't tell him how much money he will save because wetshavers spend those savings on plenty of products. Besides, he will figure it out soon enough. Lol!

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Merry Mixed Up Month of May!

May 6

Razor - Feather DX Artist Club (Pain Stick)
    Blade - DorcoACmini.jpg
    Soap - Stirling Port au Prince
    Brush - Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

Wow, it's later than I thought! Been a busy day doing a lot of nothing. Well, not really. Cleaned out a freezer, took care of recylables, had a picnic and walk in the woods and then a couple of meetings. Finally get a chance to shave. I think it's time to get a pain stick involved in this Mixed Up May. You know I like these and you know my blade of choice is always Feather Pro. But, you may have noticed, the picture of the blade holder is NOT Feather Pro. That's right, boys and girls, to make it a mixed up month I grabbed a Dorco Artist Club blade. I bet some of you didn't even know Dorco made those! Several of us gave them a go a few years back and, while many didn't try a second one, I found them to be better than I expected. They're not Feather. They're not Kai. They're Dorco. Which means they aren't as sharp and don't last as long, but I found I could get 3-5 serviceable shaves out of one. (Feathers can go much longer)

So, load up a Dorco and fire up my small Omega boar brush to turn some Stirling mutton tallow soap into the slickest substance on earth. Do three passes with the pain stick and Dorco blade and settle in with a very high quality DFS that doesn't give the alum any reason to scream. That'll do, Dorco.....that'll do.

Have a terrific Thursday!!

By the way - wondering when the Artist Club razors first showed up on the 30DC?? Well, that's the fun May memory today. I should say as part of this memory that the term "pain stick" was coined several months in as some of us were learning this style of razor. Everyone credits me with being the first one to call it a "pain stick", but I haven't been able to verify that. However - I can verify the first time one of these razors was introduced to the 30DC. It happened on January 21, 2015. And no, it wasn't by me. That credit belongs to.......well......you can find out HERE! By the way, it was a Feather SS.

May 6 2020.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and pic Neal.happy thursday..

11. Venkat

Venkat Well-Known Member

Today's shave: 05/06/2020
    Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB 1.45/1.25
    Brush: Simpsons Duke 3 Badger
    Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum(2)
    Soap: Razorock XXX
    AS: Alum rub & Pinaud Clubman AS

Rating: 10
    Comments: Excellent shave! Wow! What a razor!!!

Wolfman WR2 SB 1.45/1.25

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pics..i am Gary..

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That is awesome news indeed, Gary!

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sounds and looks like an awesome trip, Keith. Very cool display.
    The shave sounded pretty epic, too.

15. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jason.was good to hear.while there was little i could do it relieved a fair bit of stress.i had many great times with my grandma when i was young.:)

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice!

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Today:
    Stirling Lemon Chill
    Maggard Plissoft
    Dovo Shavette
    Jeris

Frigid and pleasing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

18. brit

brit in a box

fine shave..

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes....

After careful negotiations....

The local sheriff supports the right to have a table for dining, and general liberty under the laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.