January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

SOTD 1x (19) I think
    I've since switched back to an every other day shave schedule and thanks to bama samari, I didn't have to give up my zen like fave pampering.
    Prep: hot shower
    Face wash: Bigelow shave cream mixed with proaso post shave balm.

Refreshing and minting feeling!

Finished off with a head blade lotion and I was ready to take on the world.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

So, as we're up to day 20. Anyone starting to feel like it's on autopilot now? I've been getting some really great shaves without much effort.
    Also anyone thinking about continuing into Feb with a change or 2 in the setup? I'm thinking about switching the tech to the slim.

Jostalli, Drygulch, VedderLG and 4 others like this.
  3. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Pretty much on auto-pilot now. Some days better than others, but that's how it was with cartridges and electrics.

txskimo, jakie55 and Spit_Fire like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Definitely feel close to autopilot. It's a great feeling actually to expect a certain result on the first pass and again on the second. I'll be continuing into February with blade trials and I'm glad I did this challenge first. Now that my technique is solid I know I'll be judging the blades on their performance and characteristics and not on stupid changes I'm making.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I know, I know...but my prep is wash face with cold water only, lather, shave. Technique insures a good shave. Prep just makes it easier for some. I use tap cold water for all of it.

You should be on autopilot on the Tech by now...nice work! I am gonna do thirty days on an injector for Feb-first of March.

This means it's working! :happy088:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    Spit_Fire, txskimo and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Which injector? I'm trying to decide between the G and the I1

First of all....I can't count THIS is day 22 of 30, not yesterday. (Can I blame it on shift work, on nights???) Today's shave was just about DFS, but I did not push it. It was comfortable, expected, and a very reasonable shave. My only question at this time is just how many shaves should one get out of a GEM SS PTFE?

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

After I finish my current 30-day adventure, I will move on to this setup. The two-band brush was made by Rudy Vey. I used the Feather straight razor for the first half of 2014, but I still have much to learn using it. Have a great day!

SOTD_Next 30 days 1.JPG SOTD_Next 30 days 2.JPG

Keithmax, jakie55, Jostalli and 9 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Pretty much autopilot now. I plan on continuing in Feb but with a focus on trying out the other blade choices for the Mongoose. Not so rigid on the brushes and soaps next month. I have new things I want to play with. ;)

9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Day 20-21
    my 30-day focus
    razor: Ever Ready 1924 SE
    blade: Personna GEM teflon coated (1,2)
    brush: Omega 31064
    soap: Williams
    finish: HolyRollah's awesome DIY balm >here< @tuxxdk 's awesome DIY splash >here<

Day 20 was a pass. I had a job interview and was a little nervous. I decided my altered mental state did not match the one I needed for a trouble free ride from the ER 1924. I switched to the EJDE89. Good choice! The relaxed comfort from hanging out with an old friend actually calmed me a bit. Actually, I think the magical, calming effect actually helped create the Zen shave: very nice BBS(rf). My version of tuxxdk's splash went on with almost no sting!

Day 21 - Today was back to to the ER 1924 and Gary's DIY balm. Outstanding BBS(rf)!

Man, you guys really ought to try the DIY recipes above. Once you buy the initial ingredients and find the fragrant oils that suit you, the unit cost is NOTHING!

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 21, 2015

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
    Lather: Tiki Soap Cabernet Neroli
    Aftershave: 4711
    First time I used Tiki Cabernet Neroli, red wine, citrus scent. Super lather! I also shaved my head.
    Go out and get it!

image.jpg

11. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Oh wow, for some reason I guess I'd never seen a Japanese style shavette. It makes sense that they would exist.

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/21/2015 30 Day - Shave # 21

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (3)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and CC Sandalwood AS

[​IMG]

Much better 3 pass shave today. Not BBS but as close as I can get on a work morning. I do have my work day routine down now. The shave takes a little less than 10 minutes from the time I exit the shower to the AS splash and clean up.

Spit_Fire, jakie55, Jostalli and 9 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I got to use that soap on loan from a friend. The scent is fantastic and the lather is unbelievable.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/21/15 - BSG - RESET Day 16

Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - '46/'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - Voskhod (1)
    Post - A/V Musk

Standard two pass until I checked it. Baby was close so did a third pass and I caught it. I wasn't particularly thinking about that when I started so maybe less concentration and more just "letting it flow" helped.
    babyboy.jpg

15. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Day 21 - BSG

ATT S1 Kronos

Rapira PL

Plisson

Cade Soap & Balm

3 pass BBS today. However, I did manage to irritate a spot on my neck. I think the S1 and the Rapira pair well, but after this trial, I may try a few more blade brands in it to see if there is an even better combo for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421852271.344987.jpg

16. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team

1. With that brush and razor, it is hard NOT to like any of your photos.

2. I'd set my alarm earlier to give extra time to chase that baby!
    ;)
    babycrawl.gif He's a speedy little crumb-snatcher, ain't he?

+1 for Zen shaving!

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 21st SOTD (Shave 16 of the challenge)
    Prep: Hot shower
    Razor & Blade: '63 Gillette Slim and Gillette Platinum
    Two Day's growth
    Second shave on this blade
    Setting 7 on the razor
    Brush & Bowl: Semogue 1460 brush and soup bowl
    Soap: Maggard Orange Menthol
    Post Shave: Cold water rinse, alum block, Maggard Orange Menthol aftershave

Was running late this morning. Wanted to see if stropping the blade made much difference, so didn't strop it. It makes a difference. Blade tugged, but was able to adjust grip, pressure, and angle to make it work. Setting 7 is the most wide open I have used the razor at. With two passes and some light buffing, I was able to get a decent shave, not quite DFS, but close. I will probably have a shadow this evening.

Agree that I am kind of on auto pilot right now. I didn't even try this morning, and got a pretty good shave. Might see if I can go through some of the other razors I have purchsed in upcoming months, and see how they do with 30 days of consistant use with the same blade. I probably won't lock down the rest of the set up.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1. Thanks for the positive comments on the brush and razor. I hope to start another Rubberset 400 restoration soon.

2. I've tried to set the alarm earlier but it seems to always end the same...in a rush. At least I can catch that baby on the weekends.

19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Spent the early morning worrying about the weather and the roads impact on our field trip to the National Western StockShow. (ended up canceling the travel) so hopped in the shower a little late. I may have learned a good lesson. My prep this month has included Cornhusker's Lotion. Forgot it this morning and I could tell a difference I've had some really good 2 pass shaves this week, but today my 3 pass shave left me wanting for smoothness. Oh well, tomorrow....

Prep: Hot shower
    Lather: Klar Kabinett
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Voskhod (3)

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The national Western Stockshow...memories memories. Went there on a 4-H trip when I was a Freshman. Raised in Western Kansas. Was a very fun trip, first time I'd been to Denver and a lot of, well let's just say interesting things happened on that trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.