Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Another great thing about most of the ASR razors is that they can be found for a reasonable price. The Lather catchers can be pricey alond with a few of the more rare models. But there are many great razors in there lineup that are very affordable. Especially if you are willing to look for the good deals.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. GAW9576

Ok. I took some advice of some friends on another forum and gave the Arko another chance today. Cold water used sparingly and I loaded it like I hate it. BIG difference. I think I had enough nice slick lather to do 8 to 10 passes. Also the lather didn't degrade or dry out even while taking my time with the shave. The scent is milder than when I first received the sample but still quite strong. So all in all I may end up an arko convert after all. I may just have to let it age for a while to lessen the intensity or the, Ahem, aroma....
    Oh yeah the razor was my Gem Pushbutton with a second use Meijer SS Accu Tech blade.

The results A very aromatic, very close, very comfortable, and very enjoyable shave.

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Wed April 22 2020- Always like the look of this manly robust razor and it can deliver great shaves with proper technique like any razor. It will bite at times if you get to care free.

Razor: Everready Streamline, 2nd Generation -MFG Great Britain 1949-53 One of the more aggressive A.S.R razors IMO.
    Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (7) great all around blade.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Foire"Firenze" - great soap scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm- very enjoyable brush to use.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: AVON "True gent" cologne with witch Hazel + a dollop of Avon True Gent balm,- I like the balm & shower soap scent.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 2 tiny blemish weepers = [​IMG] great shave this morning!

SOTD, Wed April 22 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s, Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Fri April 24th 2020, I was thinking about Everready(ER) razors and I picked a nice one this morning. It is the ER 1924(AKA shovel head). The razor has a front hinge and blade is loaded from the back, the shovel head gave a great shave for a light beard growth that can be harder to shave. I could use this for a daily driver if I choose to- just a nice razor with a ER streamline strop handle.

Razor : Everready 1924(AKA shovel head) with ER streamline handle - MFG 1919-33 - great daily driver IMO.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
    Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum- very nice slick soap with a nice mild scent of bayrum.
    Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf 24 mm- very nice soft tip with reasonable backbone brush to use IMO.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Proraso Green with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm .
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave this morning and hit targeted sweet spot.

SOTD, Fri  April 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well I found out today some interesting facts about the Gem Featherweight top cap. @Droo78 came across some Gem Featherweights that seem to shave differently and so he took some pictures to illustrate differences(Thanks Andrew for letting me use your photo's). I remember reading some folks recently thinking the Featherweight is over rated and it stumped me why, now we might have the reasoning to their thoughts. When the Gem Featherweight Generation #1 was ending its life cycle it seems that the G-bar and later on the in the late 1970's the Contour flip top models came out they used a deeper type of top cap Generation #2 to give a milder shave. More than likely the transition phase when the new model G-bar was coming on line they switched the caps from the original featherweight to reduce their inventory and saving some money.
    Most folks would of not known unless they had both models 1st & 2nd Generations of Gem featherweight razors and in those days they did not have the internet to compare these small changes. I went on line at _Bay and sure enough there are 2nd Generation Featherweights for sale.( you might want 1st generation Featherweights that are a little more aggressive IMO)
    From my shaving observations I have concluded that the G-bar & Contour were milder than the 1st Generation of Feather weights and other 's who had the Contour razor mentioned they are very mild for them to use.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...ead-cap-style-differences.64029/#post-1787554
    Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left has grooves on the flip tab......................................Generation #1 on the right has the smooth flip tab.
    GEM Cap Styles 1 (2).JPG

Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left with the deeper top cap....................Generation #1 Gem Featherweight on the right with the narrow top cap.
    GEM Cap Styles 2 (2).JPG
    As we can see the the milder Generation #2 top caps were used on different models over the decades. So for me I enjoy Generation #1 and recommend it.
    Picture below Gem Featherweight generation #2.................Gem G-bar................................................Gem Contour flip top. They also made a Contour push button model!
    GEM Cap Styles 3 (2).JPG
    Folks who like to read about Gem razors there is a tread to read up on all kinds of history..... and usage... with opinions on the different GEM razors.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-razor-models.60719/page-9
    So there we have some more facts on the Gem Featherweight we all enjoy. Generation #1 Featherweight on chart below.
    Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Droo78 likes this.
  6. GAW9576

Droo78 likes this.
  7. GAW9576

Just playing around a bit with today's shave and ended up with a near BBS as a result.
    Arko on my SHD two band badger provided plenty of slick cushiony lather. Oh and a hearty dose of chill came from some sterling frost drops.

[​IMG]

Droo78 and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

went over to UK _bay to see their version of the Everready Featherweight(They called it "natural angle" model) and was produced for a short time in 1953 until the E-bar came out.
    They have only one for sale if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The revamped "slim V- flat top" was The Gem version in the USA is the one with the lines on the thumb clamp. It came out in 1953 also. The one I call Generation 2 Featherweight is The revamped "Slim V-flat top"model which became the G-bar later on.(basically changed the handle.)
    [​IMG]
    Picture above shows the Gem Featherweight the 2nd generation "revamped V-flat top" is what they called it. Mfg in 1953-55.

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday or GEMonday today, April 27th 2020- Well I thought I would do some experimenting today with the Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head VS Gen #2 head and I have both heads other than the handles and that is basically the difference.(It's not a perfect shaving world in my Den) All I did was WTG 1st pass followed by ATG 2nd pass on the left side with Generation #1 the original Featherweight in all it's glory(toughest beard side under the jaw line for me also)with no touch ups to see how best to accurately gauge the shave. And on the right side I went with Generation #2 head(Gem G-Bar) with same procedure. WTG 1st pass and 2nd pass ATG to see if there is a difference. If you go to a 3 pass shave it is hard to mark a lot of differences because all I'm using is feel of my hand. And the winner for the closest 2 pass shave goes to Generation #1 head for the best performance with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) that was placed in the Gen #2 head after first side completed. Cheeks were very similar in closeness on both sides but under the jaw lines Gen #1 (Featherweight Gen#1 was noticeably better for closeness).
    Looks like a different MMMonday today with a 2 razor shave which is a rarity for myself but also had a little fun also. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Razor: Gem Featherweight Gen #1 -MFG 1950-53
    Razor : Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head that was also on the Featherweight later models from 1953-55/G-bar MFG 1955-58.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) great all around blade.
    Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" great scent with good lather qualities IMO.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great bush that I have used a lot over the last 3 1/2 yrs.
    Preshave: Showered- washed the face with regular hand bar soap.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
    Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
    Result :Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head)CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= [​IMG] good shave for a 2 pass shave.
    Results:Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head) CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers = [​IMG] reasonable shave for only a 2 pass- I need a 3 pass with a G-bar for it to shine IMO.

MMMonday Featherweight GEN1 VS GEN2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Today's GeMonday shave was a comparison between the first and second generation Gem Featherweight.

A well used Meijer branded SS Accu TEC blade was shared between the two razors.

Lather was provided by a wonderful thick creamy Tabac on a RazoRock boar brush.

The shave was finished of with a splash of Whitch hazel.

The second Gen was up first and handled the left side neck and the left cheek above my beard line. A two pass shave first WTG then ATG for testing purposes was used.

The blade was then switched to the first Gen Featherweight and the same procedure was used on the right side.

There were not drastic differences between the two but the remaining stubble on the left (second Gen) side was longer and slightly more noticeable. Neither side was socially acceptable with two passes and a well worn blade on my neck. However my cheeks (were the shaving is always easier) are perfectly acceptable.

I did a third pass to clean up the visible stubble for a socially acceptable end result.

I will do this comparison again on my next shave with a new blade to see how big an improvement that makes. Personally if I could only keep one of the razors I'd keep the 1st Gen. but I definitely like using both.

[​IMG]

Ron R likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Wed April 28th 2020

Razor : Gem Damaskeene Open Comb- Mfg 1912-15, very rare but still out there, This is the Gem flagship razor that made them into a giant company (A.S.R). All improvements were based off this original 1912 design & there were minor ones.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE blade (9) Great sharp blade with some smoothness with excellent longevity.
    Soap: Taylor of old bond street (TOBS) sandal wood- excellent scent with reasonable lather qualities. [​IMG]
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm- very enjoyable brush to use.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel + Nivea Men balm sensitive.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BsS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]great shave with my Gem 1912 Open comb.

SOTD, WED April 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Fri May 1st 2020

Razor : Gem Junior 1912 Parade variant- mfg 1943- one of my favorites with the baton handle!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great all around blade, sharp, somewhat smooth & has longevity.
    Soap: Tabac- good lather qualities and lasts and lasts...... triple milled!
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm- been using this one for 3 1/2 years and it still like the day I purchased it.
    Pre-shave: Shower, brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe vera gel on beard.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] great shave with my Gem jr 1912

SOTD,Fri May1st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday , May 4, 2020 Thought I would change something today and latherd with my CeraVe hand bar cleanser because I find it to have slickness with not a lot of lather . I was cleaning my face with CeraVe and one of those last minute thoughts I'm going to try it. I had my Haslinger Schafmilch in the bowl for a back up if things went hay wire.
    Results indicated I should of used more soap but it did the job & will work if needed, not as good as some shave soaps and will do another test down the road( I have a lot of good soaps to wean down).

Razor: Gem Micromatic (open comb) or MMOC.... - Mfg 1932-41-great mid range, this saved Gem Mfg during the dirty thirties IMO and was the first TTO to appear anywhere. Folks, Gem was a great innovator & years ahead of its rivals.Gillette was like 4 or 5 years behind in their TTO- they did build some good ones when they finally got to the public.
    Blade: Gem SS PTFE (10) great blade all the way around, Very sharp, smooths out and has longevity.
    Soap: CeraVe hand bar cleanser- will work and I will do a better test instead a last minute thought.
    Brush: Yaqi Kashmire 24 mm - dedicated brush for cleaning my whole face.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser.
    Post shave: Razorock blue barber splash with witch Hazel + Nivea sensitive balm.
    Results: CCS+DFS+BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper = [​IMG] good shave overall.

MMMonday May 5th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

14. GAW9576

Today was a GeMonday with my second comparison shave with the 1st and 2nd generation Gem Featherweights. This time a first use Meijer branded SS blade was used.

First up was the 2nd Gen. on the left side neck and cheek above the beard line. 1 pass WTG and 1 pass ATG

The blade was then switched to the 1st Gen. For the right side. Same procedure.

The 1st pass on the right side was nearly as close as the 2 passes on the right. While shaving on the first pass I didn't really notice a difference in the feal of the shaves. The second pass ( ATG ) did have a little more blade feel but not at all in a bad way. Final result was definitely visually cleaner and felt smoother on the right ( 1st Gen. ) side.

After evaluation of the shave I did a cleanup pass with a Gem Junior I was evaluating before sending to a friend. Finally I shaved the back of my neck with the 1st Gen Featherweight. Even with sunburn on the back of my neck the shave was smooth and comfortable.

In conclusion both the 1st and 2nd Gen Featherweights are great razors. However if I could only have one it would definitely be a 1st Gen Featherweight Deluxe.

[​IMG]

Droo78 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well that was a good test you did with your own equipment Greg, You did a two pass shave on each side and it indicated the best efficiency of Gen 1 GEM Featherweight over Gen 2 GEM Featherweight top caps. So there have been 3 Gem Featherweight keener users who have tested the two different head models and we have all concluded Gen1 Gem Featherweight gave more efficient end results after a two pass shave.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    GAW9576 likes this.
  16. GAW9576

I'm glad you turned me on to the 2 pass method of testing. It definitely makes for a more quantifiable test.

Ron R likes this.
  17. GAW9576

Had another great late night shave tonight. This time with a new to me Treet with red bakelite handle. I also tested a Gem 1912 that came with it in a 4 razor lot. Both razors are in very good to excellent condition and shaved very well.

Pre shave wash with artisan goats milk soap

Tabac on two band badger

Thayers aloe vera cucumber splash.

DFS on the neck BBS on the cheeks above the beard line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Droo78 and Ron R like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Thur, May 07th 2020, Tried out a different ASR 1912(Everready) & they are very similar in appearance to the Gem 1912 but the angle set by the British is typical Everready is set 4 or 5 degrees different at least this model or was dropped accidentally. Gave a very similar shave to the Gem & maybe a little more aggressive? Handle looks like a chain link Gem 1912 but the Brits went one step further and raised the corners which creates a very nice grip IMO.(see picture below)

Razor: Everready 1912 British variant- MFG 1936-53 for commonwealth nations world wide.(Marketing strategy)
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
    Soap: Razorock Amici - nice mild scent of citris(grapefruit) with good lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm "Sagrada Familia" very easy brush to lather with.
    Pre shave: brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
    Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse after 30-60 seconds
    Post shave: Razorock Amici with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea men sensitive balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + alum indicated minor irritation + 3 tiny chin weepers(operator error)= [​IMG] great shave!

SOTD, Thursday May 07 2020 (2).jpg

Ever Ready 1912 British made MFG 1936-53.jpg

Have some great shaves!

19. GAW9576

Very nice shave today. I really like the Baton handles and am glad I found this Treet with the red baton. It killed to birds with one stone when I acquired it. And this new synthetic knot performs much better than my previous 2 synthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Droo78, brit and Ron R like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looks like some nice gear, that Treet razor looks in good condition from the photo's. It's nice to have a great brush like the one I'm seeing. Never seen that one before with the nice wood work turning. Looks like you have been creative lately again.

GAW9576 likes this.