COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I doubt so either my only point was they look to be mismatches is all. The only one that looks to be legit OEM Cooper handle/razor head combo is that gold plated one. The way it fits the razor head and handle style all point to it being a Cooper.

jmudrick likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yup. I'll contact the seller and see if it belonged to family or what. A curious pile of stuff it was. Chester Gratiot died in 1944 so apparently it didn't come from his garage. Dude must have moved from Brooklyn after 1931 with his Ericsson razor and blades from Gimbel's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    brit likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Lady who sold the razors said they came from her uncle's estate and that he was from New Jersey. That makes the connection to Cooper and the presence of the limited distribution Ericsson more explicable.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Two shaves in with the Kant-Rust Adjustable, and I have to offer a very different opinion. Both shaves on the most aggressive setting I found very satisfying in terms of blade feel, feedback, and efficiency. Angle is not wide but not hard to find. I was not tempted with the BIC blade to do pick ups on my head with the Enders as I am with most mild razors.

On the downside it's not terribly smooth and feels cheap. The chromish plating is awful, not at all as good as the nickel plating on my non adjustable Kant-Rust (or older Club). Indeed the only other razor I have with this plating type is the equally awful Segal Adjustable from the same year (1946). [​IMG][​IMG]
    Difference in plating easy to see here.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Handle matches the Klenzo marketed by Rexall. Head is rather familiar as well.[​IMG][​IMG]

jtspartan and Enrico like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I know what razor those handles on the right came off of originally. They came off of a 1920s Speedway 3pc open comb. The do have a connection to New Jersey but not Cooper razors. The company that made them was International Safety Razor Corp and they were based out of Bloomfield, New Jersey.

Here is a post with some pictures of the Speedway with this handle.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/razor-identification-help.55486/#post-1234319

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Great! I knew I'd seen them too. Thanks.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Of interest perhaps to approximately nobody else on the planet...the Speedway handle works great as a Fatip Piccolo substitute handle...frees up my Weber handle.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It also looks and works well with a Stahly razor head. I know you like those razors and when I had this handle I used to use it with my Stahly. Normally I could care less about handles but the ergonomics of the Stahly handle even if you don't use the vibrating option are horrible.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I use ATT handles with my chrome/nickel Stahlys, a custom Tibam with the gold one, just very slightly handle heavy. I'll see how I like them with the Speedway. First I've got it on my Roller Guard-Fatip 'where it looks and feels splendid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    brit likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

1947 NOS Klenzo with full compliment of blades.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  12. brit

brit in a box

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  14. brit

brit in a box

Herm2502 and jmudrick like this.
  15. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I picked up this Cooper Bakelite razor today at a thrift store for $7.50 (I bought this and a Gillette prewar fat handle Tech together for $15 so I divided the price in half). 4BE00046-E044-4BA3-AA12-EE9394C6ED4E.jpeg

Herm2502, ischiapp, Aztecmike and 5 others like this.
  16. Angelo85

B0A8D67A-CF64-47B5-8ACA-6D05E3650ABE.jpeg

Terry and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

Angelo85 likes this.
  18. Angelo85

Thank you.

brit likes this.
  19. ischiapp