Simpson knot replacement equivalent

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

So here it is ..... I recently purchased a very butterscotch Simpson Chubby 1 and it desperately needs a new knot. My question is what would you choose to re-knot? It really needs to be a 22mm or a 23mm (size limitations ..... it is what it is). BTW I'm trying to keep the traditional look of it as it was originally.

A current pic
    IMG_1836.JPG

I've tried a silver tip in the past and found them lacking in backbone and too soft.

Here's what I've looked at ......

High Mountain White from the Shave Forge
    Gelousy SHD from APShaves

Maggards also has a few nice SHD knot I've tried.

Thanks for you thoughts ....

:eatdrink013:

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Two band badger...............

brit and Enrico like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I agree as to the price and quality, but leaning toward the look of the High Mountain White ..... also it's one I haven't tried.

Yes, I've almost set in my decision, but was wonder if someone's had a bad experience with this one or a better option in their opinion.

:signs002:

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Two Band, for sure. I would let Scott at Declaration Grooming put a new knot in it. You will have to remove the old knot before sending it to him.
    This brush is a keeper, correct?

Sevenbark, Enrico and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

what about a simpson synthetic knot from one of those t-2 or 3 brushes.remove and discard the handle.i think a few members here have done that already...i love my simpson best badgers.or 2 band/finest etc..i would put a simpson knot in it though..just me.. download.jpeg

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not take nothing away from Scott's fine reputation, but if I'm going to the length of removing the old knot, why would I send it to him?

Oh ..... I see he does tie his own knots, but if I'm going to pay $140 for re-knotting I better buy myself a casket, due that SWMBO really wouldn't understand.

And yes, it's definitely a keeper ...... so is my wife.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'd rather stick with badger and have a feeling Simpson would cost a boat load to restore.

jtspartan, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

most likely.my commodore best badger,22 mm knot brush was $60-80 depending on sales..

jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  9. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

You won’t regret doing this. You would need to confirm that he could fit that diameter hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enrico and brit like this.
  10. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

An Envy white supreme knot could look pretty sharp in there. Strong backbone and soft tips when wet, and he has them available in smaller sizes like you’re looking for (bulb or fan I believe).

Enrico likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think the Gelousy will be the closest to the original in feel, if not in looks.

Enrico likes this.
  12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I’m still learning about badger knots.... My favorite so far has been a couple from TGN or the most recent from Envy shave. 2 were 2 band badgers, 1 was a HMW (envy shave).

My experience with gelled badgers, many rave about them, but I never figured them out. My two examples were lather hogs, or it’s probably cause I don’t load enough soap. When I tried to overload them....they just kept blooming to a full mushroom cap, and only painting strokes released decent enough lather.

I would also second Gary’s idea, the Simpson Trafalgar series is really good, along with the Omega EVO. I’ve sacrificed 4 so far of these handles for their knots ( two were replacing the gel knots).

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My liking is on the stronger backbone and I forgot that I had already tried a gel tip and didn't like it ...... kind of slimy feel to me. So now I look through the descriptions to see if they're Gel tipped or not.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

In addition Gel tip were definitely not what was used originally.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    https://thegoldennib.com/best-badger-hair-knot-22mm/

This is the knot I would put in it to keep the brush looking like a simpsons brush. It probably won't have as much backbone as the original, though if you set it deeper, that might solve that issue.

Edit: they also have 24mm size as well, and the glue can be sanded to make the knot smaller.

16. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have a 59 that I knotted with a Envy White years ago with no regrets. It is a 28mm with set low to keep stiff but still very soft. Next to a Duke for comparison. I have also used Oumo SHD on a few vintage brushes and they are also a very good option

4F472B41-F3E8-4053-AAE8-3682AEE38F97.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    jaro, Enrico, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  17. Campion

Campion Active Member

I would send it to Simpsons for a 2 band SiLVERTiP knot. If cost was an issue I'd put the brush away and I'd try to save $10-$15 a week or whatever I could afford until I had the cost of the new knot. Putting a Maggard knot in that handle is like putting a VW Beetle engine in a 1966 Porsche 911.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very funny!

:happy097:

brit likes this.
  19. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

hey I have a friend who had to replace some parts on his porsche and they actually came from the VW place because they even had the same part number.. Porsche wanted several hundred dollars for a heater hose and volkswagen had the same hose with the Exact same parts numbers just a different box for like 25 dollars..

Lancre, wristwatchb, Terry and 3 others like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Now that's a hoot!

Seen stuff like that for years and years.
    Especially in the food industry.
    Well....

tp