Need help with first DE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mreeveshp, Aug 31, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

are you in the u.s?

2. brit

brit in a box

3. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

Yea I'm US

Thanks
    mreeveshp

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

5. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

ok..good luck..:)

7. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

Thank you, I'm going to send him a link of the 34c on amazon in a bit and a link to both the astra SS and SP and see what happens from there

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

@mreeveshp
    :signs011:
    My most intuitive DE

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I just realized I didn't bother explaining why I was so specific about a 60's era super speed.

The 70's era super speeds are the ones with the black handles. They are also when Gillette razors started feeling almost...disposable. Cheaper. The quality of the plating isn't as good.

The 60's era (which is actually the last part of the 50's and the first half of the 60's) super speed razors are the last of the better quality "common" vintage razors Gillette produced. They were 100% brass, and nickel plated. They also tend to clean up well, being "young" for a vintage razor.

Gillette had been making and improving this razor design since 1941, so this particular razor style had 20 years of development, and the 60's era super speeds were the result. Beyond this time frame, Gillette kept the head design, but was constantly looking for ways to save money on super speed razor manufacturing, and I think it is a noticeable change in quality, and not for the better.

Gillette made these as a "one size fits most" razor, so they tend to be on the milder side of things. The build quality is the equal or better than any similar style razor made today.

The price is usually reasonable and within the $40 limit, provided you don't insist on having the matching case.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The stainless blades are the ones-green and white box.

on the 34c check eBay -you can’t get a break on a new one and if your patient you can find a used one for about $30

11. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

This is great. Did anyone vote for the DE89? If so, I'm not seeing it while skimming. Personally I think the DE89 is way overhyped while the Merkur 34C is quality.

I also agree a good Gillette Super Speed is a must-have and can easily be found for less than $15. I personally like the 50's era but it has nothing to do with how well they shave. :) They're easier to restore. The 60's era used a c-clip instead of a screw, but unless you're a really weird guy who re-plates vintage razors, you really won't care about that. The head design on the 60's era is a little easier to shave with.

MR41, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  12. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I sent the links to my brother and he called to make sure that it was what I really wanted so told him yes and explained that I had just found a pack of 100 astra premiums for cheaper than the SS but I really like the 34c. So it looks like I might be getting the 34c with the premiums and he said he might do both the premiums and the SS after I told him what different reviews had to say about both, I told him whenever in the far future I want to get maybe a de89 but mainly proraso white and Tabac shave soap but for now I will use the van der Hagen and mug shave soap.

So it looks like he might be getting me the razor and blades, I won't know for sure until I actually have them in hand but I'm lucky I have family that helps me when I had a serious illness and are still helping me until I can get back on my feet. I told him there are things I would like for my birthday that are for fun but I'd rather get stuff that I actually need and it's a huge saving compared to cartridge and those cheap throw aways always gave me trouble and never worked good.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The DE89 is a fine razor, but I found it TOO mild ..... to the point that a 60's flare had more aggression.

Edison Carter, MrEE and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

i used mine twice and passed it along.it was too shiny.:).i like nickel ,silver or rhodium plate..not GM bumper chrome..

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

congrats.i hope you post pics of what you get,and if you need any shave advice check this out.. https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/september-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.64607/

Edison Carter and MrEE like this.
  16. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

Thanks I will definitely post pics if I get it and I will save that link, and thank you all from someone who just registered yesterday though I've been a lurker for a while now everyone has been very nice and helpful

Thanks
    mreeveshp

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

you are welcome,happy to help.:)

18. MrEE

I can agree with that. The DE89 is fine, but people seem to pass them on a lot. I just gave mine away last week.

Enrico, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  19. MrEE

Congrats! Keep us informed. Hope you get back on your feet soon. Having a good family is a real blessing.

Also, :) You can save a lot of money shaving with a DE. Most of us don't, but as far as hobbies go, it's a good one.

20. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

Another "hobby" for me to fall down the rabbit hole on, guitar, fountain pens, knives, guns and now DE razors

Thanks
    mreeveshp