Gillette Tech Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 14, 2020.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Our Mildest Razor Ever!
    [​IMG]
    After the second Great War, the Allies returned to building razors, not the great diesel powered sky ships or armored and tracked "city buster" mortars.

With shaving still more difficult than disposing of your flying automobile's spent fuel rods, Gillette created a new razor to accompany their open comb slants.

The all new SLANT TECH offers the same effortless three pass shave you've come to find boring, and adds the stiffness and feel of a single edge blade to your DE shave!

Sensitive skin, tough beard? Do you weep when you see people's SOTD posts talking about 3 and 4 pass shaves? You too can join the crowds* of shavers switching to the GILLETTE SLANT TECH!

*hypothetical

The Gillette Slant Tech is a creation of Hard Luck Slant Co. and uses original Gillette Tech razors and a jig created by Tom White and modified by Ryan Foster.

The Gillette Co. represented in this story is fictitious. This razor was made by Gillette. My modifications are not endorsed by Gillette.

gorgo2, feeltheburn, MR41 and 9 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

fantastic Ryan..how does it shave?

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It doesn't change the way it shaves. It still shaves like a Tech. Gradual beard reduction over the course of multiple passes. It'll get you to BBS, but you'll have to take your time and enjoy the shave, because it takes 3-4 passes to get there. The blade feel is what really changes. On the rare occasion I felt the blade, it felt very stiff, like an SE blade.

Slanting this razor doesn't change the effectiveness of the razor. It changes the feel of the razor a little bit, but it doesn't suddenly make it more aggressive just because it's a "slant."

It does make for a very interesting looking razor, and is a testament to Tom's skill. If he had designed the jig any other way, it wouldn't have worked.

For a retro, yet different, Gillette look, I would pair it with one of these two models of re-manufactured handle available from Back Roads Gold's Etsy storefront. They are combinations of split old type handles with junk super speed (missing endcaps) handles, then plated in the metal of your choice. I have no affiliation with the vendor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BackRoadsGold?ref=condensed_trust_header_title_sold

Stefano73, gorgo2, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:.thank you Ryan..

PLANofMAN and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very interesting!
    Thanks for the etsy heads up, very cool.

:eatdrink013:

brit, PLANofMAN and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Wow! Just Wow!

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Tom @twhite just received his tech slant. He likes it. I'm sure he'll do a full review once he runs some more blades through it.
    IMG_1601002235888.JPEG

When paired with a heavy handle, like this:
    IMG_1600993552521.JPEG
    It becomes an excellent, even exceptional shaver.

gorgo2, brit and twhite like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I sure did like it. May even dare say there was a bit of love on the first try. I will definitely post a full report after more shaves.

Shave 1
    Tech slant with Italian Barber Aristocrat handle.
    Kai blade (1)
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok shave 2 in the books. I was going to try a different blade with a shim today. I got it all ready, but at the last second I decided to go with the same setup as the first shave. I ended up with the exact same results. Next shave for sure I will shim. I am hoping to get a bit more blade feel.

This razor is a keeper as is.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    gorgo2, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    FB_IMG_1601383579249.jpg
    One of my rare SOTD photos.

Stefano73, gorgo2, twhite and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    A review from a Canadian member at B&B.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  13. Mannic

Mannic New Member

Is this tech slant still available?

14. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I was today years old when I learned of a Tech slant. Is this a currently available service?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm ...me thinks I'll bring out the Old Type Slant for a go tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I still have three of these ..... not a tech, but I think the comb are better.

Thank you Ryan.

:)

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Betting there's no way a heated zamac head would survive even gentle torquing in a jig......probably.

Enrico likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Old Type Slant is effective but quite mild, no blade feel and narrow sweet spot...I don't think I'd enjoy a milder model [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

brit and Enrico like this.
  19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Bump. Sending one your way!

Enrico likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Comb or tech?

:)

brit likes this.