Schick Type L injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Feb 17, 2020.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Saw this for sale on the bay today
    Looks light green

green L.jpg

Enrico and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Already documented it in the second variant styles.

John Beeman likes this.
  3. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Disregard

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
  5. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Well disregard then....learn something every day.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update new yellow handle Type L added. It looks like an easy rider but is actually just another style of the 2nd variant Type L razors as can be seen by the logo and guard.
    Ly1.jpeg ly2.jpeg

Update 2 added some more pictures that better show the unique style logo and guard on the Easy Rider Type L.
    se1.jpeg l6b.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Droo78 likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great write up. I really enjoy my stick shift though I remember when it can out, I thought it was basically a toy ..... I was wrong.

:eatdrink047:

Aztecmike likes this.
  8. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I’m getting interested in these L types - great discussion and research here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Droo78 likes this.
  9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had one of the most mild and comfortable shaves I’ve ever had with an SE razor this morning with my Easy Rider Injector. And it still shaved everything in my usual one pass to get the close comfy shave that is always my goal (I no longer chase BBS). What a delight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aztecmike, Droo78 and Enrico like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

New first variant style handle razor added. Found what is assumed to be a white handle version and not a Championship razor with it's stripes worn off.
    Typel14.jpg

Leo K. and Aztecmike like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Concerning a Type L I documented but didn't have any further information. There is a Type L that looks like an L1 but has teeth on the guard. I can confidently say it was indeed produced for use in the US and not just Japan and can put a tentative date of 75 - 76 for it.

Here is the razor and a Schick Grip, you can see both have teeth on the guard.
    sg1.jpg sg2.jpg

Next is both have a patent stamped on them. Same patent and it is a US patent. That is the proof the razor was produced for the US since they usually don't stamp US patents on items being sold exclusively in a foreign market where it doesn't apply.
    sg3.jpg

Same stamping but different die since they both have different Mxx numbers. That patent expired in 1976 so these particular variants couldn't have been produced after that date. We know the Schick Grip was produced between 75 - 76 and that range is probably the same for the black handle razor. They should be the same razor heads on different handles shave wise but that needs to be tested still.

Main section on the different variants will be updated accordingly once testing is done.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update, rewrote the section with 4th through 6th variants now that testing is done.

riverrun likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've got a 1972 yellow handle L1 sold as a Schick Lady Eversharp, not as a 500, and it has the Hydro-Magic lever. I bought it about a month ago, NOS. I've already trashed in the packaging but here is the pictures from the eBay listing which show the name and 1972.

eBay pics:
    Screenshot_20210517-035150~2aaa.jpg Screenshot_20210517-035216.jpg Screenshot_20210517-035300.jpg Screenshot_20210517-035338.jpg

My pics of it:
    IMG_20210517_040459.jpg IMG_20210517_040539.jpg IMG_20210517_040523.jpg IMG_20210517_040512.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Enrico likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That razor is documented here under the Type K injectors. The delineation used is it is says Lady Eversharp on it.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...e-h-and-k-schick-injectors-for-dummies.63741/

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I was using the long-time standard Schick info at http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm which suggests it's a Type L1 based on the handle style alone. I have both a white and a turquoise Type K1 (flared tip, tipped with metal ferrule).

Having a stamped on the top of the razor head Schick or Lady Eversharp or LE logo doesn't change the type, I wouldn't think - especially being made in 1972, marked Schick on the front of the package at the very top in big letters so sold as a Schick as the Lady Eversharp model, and marked Schick Safety Razor Company, Milford, Connecticut on the package.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Enrico likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It does. The ladies razors have different shave geometeries for the blade from the mens razors. That holds true for any Lady Eversharp razor vs. whatever contemporary mens Schick regardless of logo being sold along side it.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some updated info on this razor. This is a European variant and was packaged with Schick Twin injector blades. I am fairly confident this white handle Type L with this razor was indeed made for European markets in Holland since I've seen a few before now and they all were listed from sellers in Europe. What is telling the company name is still Eversharp on the blade dispenser so unless they kept that name past 1970 when Warner Lambert bought Schick from Eversharp that puts at least in Europe the introduction of Schick twin injector blades at least 2 to 3 years prior to when they did in the US.

white handle1.jpg white handle2.jpg white handle3a.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Did some sleuthing on this razor and the date of 71 - mid 72 is backed up by the postage rates.
    postagerates.png s-l1600.jpg

As you can see the shipper cost 10 cents to ship 3rd class I also happen to know the package won't be more than about 3 ounces and the Schick Injector System was trademarked in 71 which is used in the instruction sheets. That spreadsheet chart is from the US postal regulatory board's website of public information on historical postage rates. The only 2 times an up to 3 ounce package was 10 cents was in 71 and until July of 72 when it jumped up to 12 cents.

If anyone else wants to research postage rates on vintage shippers.
    https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/rates-historical-statistics.htm

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021