3D printed razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Dec 5, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

A GIANT "THANK YOU" to Roger. He contacted me yesterday and asked if I would print a Raptor out on my printer. I have a QIDI X-MAKER it is a small platform printer 160x160x160.
    Anyhow after down loading and printing. I started with the head using Rogers suggested settings on print parameters. 1 hour later I had a printed head. Pulling it off of the table I right away notice how great the print looked. I straight away started the spring. While that was printing, I checked blade fitment in the head. The blade slid into the slot and lifted into the locators and butted up against the blade stops perfectly. There was no slop in the blade in its position.

12 minutes later the spring was done. I removed that and started the handle a full 3 hour print. At this point I set forth to put the spring into position. There was a very slight amount of flash from the table side I needed to trim. 20 seconds with my x-acto and I was good to go. I put the spring into position and after trying to push it in by hand for a few minutes. I went and got my Triceratops handle. then screwed the handle down and POP in the spring went. Just like downtown. using the Tri handle I installed a blade and checked everything out. Very stable and firm fit.

I called it the night and went inside until midnight to pull the correct handle off of the machine. Again the handle looks superb. Screwed it into the head for a perfect fit. I then went to bed. way past my bed time. As I wake up at 4:45 for work. I will post pictures later today and give a full shave report. I will have a full 4-1/2 days worth to deal with.

Roger, from what I see you have another fine razor on your hands. I am so impressed with your design skills. You can combine function with real beauty. As for printing it could not have been easier. your design takes into account printing needs and does this in spades.

Tom

richgem, gorgo2, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  2. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

Nice write-up Tom. Thank you for the kind comments. And thank you again for taking the time to test the files on your printer.

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok. Here is the report. You all know what razor. The Raptor. Blade CVS CS new. Tabac for soap and AS. I had a full 4 days worth to deal with.

Initial first stroke impression. Keeping blade as flat as I could to my face. Very smooth indeed. I did notice not a lot of blade feel. Think Gem FW. I know after that first stroke. This is going to be a nice shave. So I overcame my urge to whip through the shave as of it were a FW. I took my time making deliberate strokes. First pass was an above average pass.

Second pass went just as well. Third pass went on without a hitch. I had to do a few clean up strokes on my normal spots on my neck. In the old man creases. ZERO irritation and a solid DFS shave.

On to things I noticed specifically about the razor. Very easy to load and un load. The clever clamping works great. An extremely maneuverable razor. Outstanding design simply a beautiful tool. I do not mention it being light weight as that goes without saying. This razor will please the majority of shavers for sure. Those looking for a bunch of blade feel. You won’t get that.

Roger you definitely have a winner. Here is the shave setup. I will post some closeups shortly.
    I forgot to mention that is rinses the lather out just fine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    macaronus, gorgo2, Ron R and 7 others like this.
  4. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

+1

[​IMG]

SlimGem and Jayaruh like this.
  5. SlimGem

This 3d printed SE razor was appropriately named "RAPTOR SE" by fellow forum member @Electrif. The design was inspired by the J A Henckels RAPIDE. If it doesn't look much like the Rapide, it's because it was heavily modified for easy printing. By maintaining floating angles to less than 60 degrees in the design, this razor can be printed without supports, which means, zero post-processing. The design's geometry also follows the physical characteristics of standard 3d printers, such as 0.2mm radius minimum, 0.4mm wall increments, and a 0.12 layer height rule for consistent 200 point stepper-motor rotation. In short, what all this means is that the parts will print with more accurate dimensions, minimal artifacts, and a more solid inner structure. The files are now available for download on Thingiverse.
    GEM Single Edge Safety Razor "RAPTOR SE" by rogerquin - Thingiverse
    or
    https://www.thingiverse.com/rogerquin/designs

Raptor SE1.jpg

Raptor SE2.jpg

Raptor SE blade loading.jpg

Raptor SE lever assembly.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    gorgo2, MPF9, BBS and 5 others like this.
  6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:happy096:

SlimGem likes this.
  7. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mention Roger @SlimGem
    A

SlimGem likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Brilliant blade tension or clamping system you designed there.

SlimGem likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is. You need to get one. Very pleasant shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ron R, Electrif and SlimGem like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Oh I might have to down the road, but I just bought one of those Yaqi AC Excaliber SE razors. I did not really want to but I have 2 magazines of AC blades and thought why not. But I will have to put it on my want list. I enjoy the different razors and gadgets you fellows are creating with the 3D printers. I go on Youtube and there is a lot of businesses that have 30 to 70 of these machines printing off plastic parts. Then there are the metal 3D machines making parts and then sintering them into functional parts. Amazing what is happening in such a short period of time. It will not be long and those plastic razors will become metal ones in the near future.

MPF9 and SlimGem like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

gorgo2, SlimGem and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. SlimGem

Ron R likes this.
  13. Electrif

Sunday 25th April
    Raptor 3D SE by Roger Quintero

Printed by my son
    GEM Stainless Coated #1
    [​IMG]
    The shave was outstanding with the Stirling soap. The Raptor feels great in the hand, and with a new GEM blade, was extremely efficient at whisking my usual 2 day growth. It channels the lather away brilliantly and rinses very easily. Very impressed and looking forward to the next shave.
    Roger @SlimGem , your design is brilliant.

macaronus, Ron R, SlimGem and 2 others like this.
  14. SlimGem

Very nice! The print quality looks great, Arthur! I actually think the raptor catches as much lather as the average lather catcher.

15. Electrif

Totally agree Roger. The added benefit is that the lather rinses away so easily.

SlimGem likes this.
  16. Electrif

Tuesday 27th April
    Raptor 3D SE
    GEM Stainless Coated #2

[​IMG] Roger's correct, the Raptor traps the lather quite efficiently. Very impressed with the result today. Lovely shave.

ischiapp and SlimGem like this.
  17. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

I've heard of bakelite razors, but never 3d printed razors. I might have to give one a try.

riverrun and SlimGem like this.
  18. Electrif

Thursday 29th April
    Raptor 3D SE
    GEM Stainless Coated #3

[​IMG]

gorgo2, riverrun and SlimGem like this.
  19. SlimGem

After seeing Mr. White's @twhite great little Fuzzy Catcher, I decided to revisit the possibilities of duplicating a couple of my favorite lather catchers for 3d printing. I was also curious about the big fuss with the baton handles on the GEM Juniors. Turns out I really like how the fat handle feels, especially on light razors. The pictures below are my final design, which is a combination of two lather catchers, and the blade holding method of the 3d printed WeckGem, but with more blade feel, and of course, a baton handle. I'm finalizing the geometry for easier printing and will make the files available soon.
    Screenshot.jpg

IMG_3644m.JPG

IMG_3645m.JPG

IMG_3646m.JPG

IMG_3647m.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    ischiapp, cliffb599, hins2jw0 and 7 others like this.
  20. Electrif

Looking forward to it, what fill did you decide to use for the handle?

SlimGem likes this.