Dutch Baby Pancake

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Sara-s, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

This is sort of a cousin to a crepe, but easier to make.

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Powdered sugar, maple syrup, and jam, for serving

EQUIPMENT

Blender or food processor
    Spatula
    9- or 10-inch oven-safe skillet
    Whisk (optional)
    Measuring cup & measuring spoon.

INSTRUCTIONS
    Blend the batter: Place the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender or food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Blend for 10 seconds, scrape down the sides, and then blend for another 10 seconds. The batter will be quite loose and liquidy.
    * Instructions say to mix in a blender and, of course, you can. I just start by putting the dry ingredients into a bowl and then whisking in the milk until smooth. After that, I whisk in the eggs & vanilla.

Rest the batter: Leave the batter in the blender and set aside to rest 20 to 25 minutes. This gives the flour time to absorb the liquid.

Heat the pan and oven: Meanwhile, place a 9 to 10-inch ovensafe skillet on the middle rack of the oven and remove any racks above it. Heat the oven to 425°F.

Melt the butter: When ready to make the pancake, remove the skillet from the oven using oven mitts and place it on top of the stove. Add the butter and swirl the pan to melt the butter and coat the bottom and sides of the pan.

Add the batter: Pour the batter on top of the butter. Tilt the pan if needed so that the batter runs evenly to all sides. Place the skillet in the oven.

Bake the Dutch baby: Bake until the Dutch baby is puffed, lightly browned across the top, and darker brown on the sides and edges, 15 to 20 minutes. This will vary from one oven to the next, so you may have to experiment a bit to get the perfect baking time. 17 minutes works best in my oven.

Serve while hot: You can either serve from the pan or transfer the Dutch baby to a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup or jam.

Ron R, Eeyore, richgem and 1 other person like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Post pictures, I am the expert! :p

Edit: oven??? Dutch pancakes are baked in a koekenpan! Real cooks throw them in the air when they are halfway done, and flip them over to bake the other side.

The recipe sounds delicious though!

I know it is not vegetarian friendly, but a classical Dutch recipe is to bake them with bacon, and spread syrup over them. Not maple syrup, but "suikerstroop", made from sugar beets. Maple syrup is great, but it doesn't taste the same.

Edit2: in Dutch unfortunately, but this is a good and simple recipe if you want to try it the Dutch (and Flemish) way:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Another example of how Americans can mess things up when it comes to International matters. :eek: Dutch baby pancakes are from the Pennsylvania Dutch -- who are actually of German descent -- and are baked in the oven. Dutch pancakes (pannenkoeken) are more like crepes and are indeed cooked in a pan on the stove. And both are quite yummy. But, poffertjes for the win assuming you have the special pan.

Eeyore likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Poffertjes!!! Oh man, poffertjes! :D :D

Edit: but @richgem did you ever try "spekpannenkoeken met stroop"? If not, you should try it ;)

I never realized that Americans call Germans Dutch ... some people won't be pleased :p
    (No worries, friendly rivalry about football)

For those who don't know what poffertjes are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poffertjes

richgem likes this.
  5. richgem

We don't call Germans Dutch. But sometime in the 18th century somebody heard it wrong. Dietsch/Deutsch got heard as or corrupted to Dutch. It has also been suggested that at one point there was no distinction in English between Deutsch and Dutch.

I've had spekpannenkoeken in Aruba. Heel lekker!

Eeyore likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Since you have asked for a picture;
    7EAAC53B-C847-4C4B-AE58-79BACFB3EBB0.jpeg

We dusted it with a little powdered sugar and had some bacon on the side.

IAmTheJody and Eeyore like this.
  7. richgem

I have a recipe in English if anyone is interested. Not translated by me so it should be safe. LOL

Eeyore likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Looks delicious, but completely different from what we Dutch call pancakes ;)

In fact, I haven't seen these in Germany as well. The German pancakes look more like the ones baked in the Netherlands and Flanders.

Edit: found the Wikipedia entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_baby_pancake

It looks like they are not Dutch, nor German, but an American invention ;)

I thought you had done that to Italian pizza only? :p

richgem likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Pannenkoken pancakes are a nice treat, I make mine in a very simply way my mother kind of made them. I start with two strips of lean bacon and start to cook them.
    Take a small mixing bowl and add 3 heaping table spoons of flour, 1 table spoon of yogurt of any flavour + 1 egg + some milk and start to mix while flipping the bacon.
    Add milk or cream as needed to make batter sort of runny IMO.
    Take the cooked bacon and dry off excess fat with a paper towel and cut into small chucks, pour off fat from non stick frying pan.
    Heat the pan at just over medium heat with just enough butter to lube the frying pan and pour the batter in to cover the hole area of the frying pan and add the chucks of cooked bacon to the top of batter.
    Cover for a few minutes and then flip to cook the other side for about only 2 minutes at most and then flip again for about 1 minute or so and at last flip back again for about 1 minute and ready to serve( each side will see 2 flips). The yogurt I found keeps the pancake nice and moist and keeps it from drying out from cooking.
    I always have a cup of coffee and like to have maple syrup and only add syrup to the plate not over the pancake is the way I like to have it.
    When growing up Dad got his Pannenkoken first and if Mom had enough bacon she would make us kids one, Dad got his first(head of the house) and he used just some sugar for a topping and I liked corn syrup.
    I'm not sure if they are as good as my Mothers cooking but I like the way I do them now also.

richgem and Eeyore like this.