Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I always forget about this thread... Nothing unicorn about a Gillette Knack but this one is: the super rare color red Knack! Made in Mexico. T-4 date code = made in the fourth quarter of 1973.

IMG_20210907_110316~2_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20210907_110255~2_resize_30.jpg

IMG_20210907_110033~2_resize_25.jpg

IMG_20210907_110308~2_resize_78.jpg

IMG_20210907_110124~2_resize_42.jpg

IMG_20210907_110902~2_resize_16.jpg

IMG_20210907_110942~2_resize_0.jpg

2. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Pre merger Rotbart in a wooden case. There are probably more, but this was the first I ever saw.

rqgerg.jpeg

3. brit

brit in a box

very cool Adam.i had a similar razor ,caseless,but it was only stamped Mond.silver plate .

Hembree likes this.
  4. romsitsa

That's also pre merger, Hugo Büchner. I sold mine, now it would look cool next to the Otto Roth.

Hembree and brit like this.
  5. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The only Unicorn I ever owned - the Butler Safety Razor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A detailed description can be seen here: https://razors.click/razors/ButlerSafetyRazor/

I found it for 5 British Pounds on eBay ("Unusual razor" was the only description)
    I then showed it to a serious collector with no intention of selling it, just to get some information.
    He offered me a boxed Schick Type A repeater, a silver-plated Collins rotary razor and three other razors before I caved in.
    The guy has been collecting for many decades and had never seen one before.
    I think he got a good deal.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:

Hembree and riverrun like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i passed mine along with a 1911 canadian single ring..;):eatdrink047:

Hembree likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the rariest Gillette razors out there. This is the only example I've ever seen. A N3 Slim Adjustable not only is the date code part of the reason it is super rare but the razor head also happens to be a Super Adjustable. This is a bona fide unicorn that is so urcy almost no Gillette collectors even know of it's existence. With that said unicorn may not automatically = desirable or collectable.
    Slim-Odd-02.jpg

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Is a Olaf Rasmussen prison razors considered a unicorn?

IMG_1478.JPG

:)

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Put a horn on them and they could be. Honestly I have no idea abut them but if they never did make them for non incarcerated persons then the likelhood of many of them existing should be low.

Hembree likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They also made a version for hospitals for pre-op.

:shaver

Hembree likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

while probably not a unicorn in it's own sense this german tech was around only for a year or so..
    20211108_111621_edited1.jpg

13. romsitsa

A British-French lovechild, a ghost and a unicorn baseplate (brass cages are rare as hens teeth).
    dec.jpg fsn.jpg IMG_2461.jpg

Hembree, ShaversRUs, Jorvaljr and 5 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It has been awhile but another razor that is solidly in Unicorn territory is the Personna Precision Micrometric adjustable. This one is a Gibbs copy that was made in England and can take a regular DE blade without modification unlike the earlier Gibbs adjustables.

Personna Precision.jpg Persona2.jpg

Hembree, IAmTheJody, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  15. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Hembree likes this.
  16. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

The Chrome version - I haven't seen too many of them.

personnac01.jpg

BBS, brit and Enrico like this.
  17. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

Apollo Mikron 1.
    Mikron 1's are unicorns. When you see them they have a metallic handle - this one is black and the only one that I've seen.
    The first picture is what I bought and I assume that the broken black piece of handle is correct.
    I turned the "new" handle out of Nylon so it's unlikely to break again. It's about as best as I am going to do with my machining skills.

Mikron1.jpg

Enrico, BBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some later model Gibbs razors that take regular DE blades. The earlier model ones are common but these later model ones you almost never see especially the click pen flip top adjustable.

This one was labeled a No13 and is a differential razor head.
    Gibbs1.jpg Gibbs2.jpg

This is I think the is the rariest Gibbs razor out there and in my opinion firmly in unicorn territory. This is the click pen flip top adjustable. I will post better pics once the one I bought arrives.
    gibbs1.jpg gibbs2.jpg

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Interesting how the case colors are also reversed from the brass versions.

20. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

Yes it is, but I wouldn't read anything into it.
    I've seen images of the brass ones in this case as well.

EDIT: I thought that the Gibbs 9 was here already. (But it has been a while)