Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are 2 Filomatics that are on the fence and maybe over on the other side in the unicorn fields. Both these far as I know were only given away as free razors when you bought the Titano DE or F1 inyector blades.

filo1.jpg filo2.jpg filo3.jpg

The injector razor only accepts single edge injector blades and will not work with Schick II twin blades. They had an F2 injector razor that did but that razor is a direct copy of a Gillette Twinjector. The DE razor is interesting in that you have to load a DE blade on the cap with one blade tab between the cap and base plate before flipping over and locking the cap with a switch on the base plate.

The only Filomatics I know of that would be even rarer than these are the same DE as here but with colored handles, one in green, red and 1 or 2 other colors that elude me what they were right now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I always forget about this thread... Nothing unicorn about a Gillette Knack but this one is: the super rare color red Knack! Made in Mexico. T-4 date code = made in the fourth quarter of 1973.

IMG_20210907_110316~2_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20210907_110255~2_resize_30.jpg

IMG_20210907_110033~2_resize_25.jpg

IMG_20210907_110308~2_resize_78.jpg

IMG_20210907_110124~2_resize_42.jpg

IMG_20210907_110902~2_resize_16.jpg

IMG_20210907_110942~2_resize_0.jpg

3. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Pre merger Rotbart in a wooden case. There are probably more, but this was the first I ever saw.

rqgerg.jpeg

4. brit

brit in a box

very cool Adam.i had a similar razor ,caseless,but it was only stamped Mond.silver plate .

5. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

That's also pre merger, Hugo Büchner. I sold mine, now it would look cool next to the Otto Roth.

brit likes this.
  6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The only Unicorn I ever owned - the Butler Safety Razor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A detailed description can be seen here: https://razors.click/razors/ButlerSafetyRazor/

I found it for 5 British Pounds on eBay ("Unusual razor" was the only description)
    I then showed it to a serious collector with no intention of selling it, just to get some information.
    He offered me a boxed Schick Type A repeater, a silver-plated Collins rotary razor and three other razors before I caved in.
    The guy has been collecting for many decades and had never seen one before.
    I think he got a good deal.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:

riverrun likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i passed mine along with a 1911 canadian single ring..;):eatdrink047:

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the rariest Gillette razors out there. This is the only example I've ever seen. A N3 Slim Adjustable not only is the date code part of the reason it is super rare but the razor head also happens to be a Super Adjustable. This is a bona fide unicorn that is so urcy almost no Gillette collectors even know of it's existence. With that said unicorn may not automatically = desirable or collectable.
    Slim-Odd-02.jpg

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Is a Olaf Rasmussen prison razors considered a unicorn?

IMG_1478.JPG

:)

Ijustmissedthe50s and Aztecmike like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Put a horn on them and they could be. Honestly I have no idea abut them but if they never did make them for non incarcerated persons then the likelhood of many of them existing should be low.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They also made a version for hospitals for pre-op.

:shaver

13. brit

brit in a box

while probably not a unicorn in it's own sense this german tech was around only for a year or so..
    20211108_111621_edited1.jpg

Enrico, PanChango and Angelo85 like this.