What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Those are some swoopy beauties Tom!

TestDepth likes this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! :eatdrink047:

3. TestDepth

Took a chance on a couple small Okudo stones, thinking they could be a hone or a nagura… so time to play.

This one was sold as an Okudo Tenjo Suita, and I loved the pattern. Started the JNat journey with a handheld CKTG Ozuku Koppa that I sold to a friend to start his journey, and I missed this smaller option.

1 3/4” by 3 3/4” is about as small as I have gone… reminding me of my Coticules. Started the bevel set with the Suehiro 1k and then ran through the Shapton 4k then 8k before jumping to this one.
    70D56AD6-EDAA-4FAF-8392-80F0F9AE7004.jpeg
    1 razor 1 shave does not tell a full story but the Pritzlaff Hardware had a very nice face feel. Time to get more edges!
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Steve56, Zykris, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  4. TestDepth

Edges #3&4 off the Okudo above…
    Tornblom and the new to me Tony Milton Kamisori
    Tornblom was/is a slight mess so took a bit on the Suehiro 1k, and then both enjoyed their time on the Shapton 4k then 8k before finishing on the pictured Okudo.
    BBF73F0F-7E90-46C9-96DC-23E769662D6A.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Steve56, lottenhem and DaltonGang like this.
  5. TestDepth

The second of the two small stones was this Okudo Tomae. Seems a tad softer but I enjoyed the feel. Same progression leading up to it as the other stone, but the King William era W&B required quite a few layers of tape. :)

The Shapleigh Hardware was an absolute pleasure to sharpen.
    2E2C6A42-29F7-4CA8-BC5F-A7EAD1C55131.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

On that Wade & Butcher, I'm thinking a seriously Concave Hone would be the way they honed it, in the old days.
    I had one similar to that, and I couldn't get an edge on it, even with a boatload of tape.

Steve56, brit and TestDepth like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I got ambitious this week and restored and honed 5 recent antique store finds. The crack on the scale of the McPherson Brothers is stable...no movement. All honed on my Naniwa stones.
    3 straight razors.jpg two straight razors.jpg

gssixgun, Steve56, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Russian blade. Touched up the edge a bit. More like a do over. Set the edge on 1k Diamond then flipped to my Welsh stones. Got a real nice edge on it.

gssixgun, Steve56, lottenhem and 3 others like this.
  9. TestDepth

Continuing to add Okudo edges to the quiver…
    Two Wade & Butchers and not really sure what the one in the back is, but guessing German made for the US market.
    31D0FC9E-1075-479D-85D3-19E4A3CAACBF.jpeg
    The feel of these two little Okudo hones are wonderful.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

gssixgun, DaltonGang, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  10. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Two more honed from the $5 each acquisition. Bengall Sheffield and one No name, probably Solingen.
    The Bengall was a little pain to get a good edge on. Almost as hard as the Clas T. Starting with Shapton HR 500…
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Paul76, Steve56, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  11. lottenhem

Rabinor Tagore TULA 600 6/8” and CVH MK No.30. Have tried out the latest 30 I have purchased but have to adjust the spine, it’s a little bit “curved”.
    [​IMG]

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That Tula is.a nice.looking razor. :happy088:

lottenhem, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  13. lottenhem

Thanks! Sorry @DaltonGang I have completely forgotten your name… it was in a good condition and it didn’t need so much effort to get it sharp. I must say I prefer Solingen razors before Sheffield. Just my opinion.

Steve56, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A few special customs came to visit snowy North Idaho this week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one, an AiAi from Japan is just so sweet finished on my Nakayama

[​IMG]

DaltonGang, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  15. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I have a few razors from solingen with the same spine pattern, which are all made by Ern. If you look really closely at the picture of yours you can see the remains of the r and a slight bit of the e also. They are excellent shavers.

Steve56 and lottenhem like this.
  16. lottenhem

Thanks Paul! I totally agree with you regarding that they are excellent shavers. I also admit that you have far better eyes than I have

Steve56 likes this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here’s a problem razor that might make a good discussion of honing a wonky razor. It’s an orihi kamisori and it’s bent/warped. I do not know how it will turn out yet, but mu guess is that I can hone it with a straight edge but it will be a little narrower. The bottom part of an orihi is basically a wedge. the top part is forged at an angle that makes a steeper angle on the ura side.In the first image, the left side is the omote, the right side is the ura. This is a two-piece forging, most of the omote and the top of the ura are soft iron.

401832D0-1099-43CD-A78C-80203A62579D.jpeg

The second and third image show the problem, the diamond plate I’m using is only hitting the middle on the ura, you don’t even need Sharpie to see it, and on the omote it’s only hitting the ends, the heel quite badly.My strategy was to use a lot of tape on the omote to keep the bevels thin at least until the stone hit all the edge, then I can pull however much tape that I want off and reset the bevel with reasonable assurance that I won’t have a lot of wear on the omote spine when the stone isn’t even hitting all the edge. This kind of a strategy can also be used on frowns, wonky Dovos, and chip removal. Alternatively, I could have begun by simply honing knife-style at about 30 degrees until the stone hit all the edge, then proceeding.

DFCCA36C-ED86-4ED7-A134-8741F2DDD474.jpeg 29E041D6-807C-45B2-B9D2-020416D11E21.jpeg

I began by using a 1k Shapton Glass HR to see if I could straighten the SPINE a bit, ala a Gold Dollar, and the spine is actually reasonably straight, I got a slight, straight even wear pattern on the ura and a slightly less straight and even wear pattern on the omote. Then 3 layers of electrical and one layer of Kapton on the omote and 1 layer of Kapton on the ura.

After quite a while on the omote, I had the plate hitting all the edge - barely. The steel is do hard it makes a Tornblöm look like cookie dough, that’s the reason for the diamond plates and Shapton HR. I flipped it over and worked until I had it hitting the edge on the ura.

A9F8BFB9-7AAC-4656-95E8-2C2FC0BF0D62.jpeg

Whew, glad that’s done. Not so fast, when I honed the ura where only the center was initially hitting, that reduced the width of the razor slightly in the middle, so when I went back to the omote, the plate is no longer hitting the middle - again. So this is going to be an iterative process I believe, but I’m done for the night.

Glen does wonky ground Dovos by honing to a slight smile I seem to recall, but a smiling kamisori would look odd.

I also realize that I may well have to do some refinishing on it when all is said and done. It’s been a real PITA, but this is the way that you learn how to fix things with minimal impact on the razor.

I’ll update

DaltonGang, lottenhem and TestDepth like this.
  18. lottenhem

Steve,
    I think the best way would have been to adjust the spine by taping the edge and grind down the spine until it is parallel with the edge. I know that many people are allergic to “hurt” the razor and get cosmetic damage to the razor. However Gents, it’s tools we are speaking of….
    Just my Viking opinion
    If the razor isn’t in order with all angle’s, adjust it until it is. I have personally stopped using tape for the spine.

Steve56 likes this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Great minds think alike Hans, that’s actually what I did - see the paragraph right under the third image.

The problem I believe is that the ‘spine’ is all unhardened iron, and below the spine is a section where extremely hard steel is forge welded to the soft iron. I think that when the razor was cooled/tempered, the bottom section with two dissimilar metals warped. So the spine where the razor hits the hone, where the arrows point, is straight, but the section below is warped. The red line represents the hard steel.

7A806BD8-CC5A-42D5-8CC1-DBA989348596.jpeg

lottenhem likes this.
  20. lottenhem

OK, missed that information. My Kamisori is opposite the right hand side according to your sketch is “flat” and have a equal grind along the edge. It’s the left hand side that has to be straightened up. First picture the hollow side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.