What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Well-Known Member

Those are some swoopy beauties Tom!

TestDepth likes this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! :eatdrink047:

3. TestDepth

Took a chance on a couple small Okudo stones, thinking they could be a hone or a nagura… so time to play.

This one was sold as an Okudo Tenjo Suita, and I loved the pattern. Started the JNat journey with a handheld CKTG Ozuku Koppa that I sold to a friend to start his journey, and I missed this smaller option.

1 3/4” by 3 3/4” is about as small as I have gone… reminding me of my Coticules. Started the bevel set with the Suehiro 1k and then ran through the Shapton 4k then 8k before jumping to this one.
    70D56AD6-EDAA-4FAF-8392-80F0F9AE7004.jpeg
    1 razor 1 shave does not tell a full story but the Pritzlaff Hardware had a very nice face feel. Time to get more edges!
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Steve56, Zykris, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  4. TestDepth

Edges #3&4 off the Okudo above…
    Tornblom and the new to me Tony Milton Kamisori
    Tornblom was/is a slight mess so took a bit on the Suehiro 1k, and then both enjoyed their time on the Shapton 4k then 8k before finishing on the pictured Okudo.
    BBF73F0F-7E90-46C9-96DC-23E769662D6A.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Steve56, lottenhem and DaltonGang like this.
  5. TestDepth

The second of the two small stones was this Okudo Tomae. Seems a tad softer but I enjoyed the feel. Same progression leading up to it as the other stone, but the King William era W&B required quite a few layers of tape. :)

The Shapleigh Hardware was an absolute pleasure to sharpen.
    2E2C6A42-29F7-4CA8-BC5F-A7EAD1C55131.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

On that Wade & Butcher, I'm thinking a seriously Concave Hone would be the way they honed it, in the old days.
    I had one similar to that, and I couldn't get an edge on it, even with a boatload of tape.

brit and TestDepth like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I got ambitious this week and restored and honed 5 recent antique store finds. The crack on the scale of the McPherson Brothers is stable...no movement. All honed on my Naniwa stones.
    3 straight razors.jpg two straight razors.jpg

Steve56, DaltonGang, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Russian blade. Touched up the edge a bit. More like a do over. Set the edge on 1k Diamond then flipped to my Welsh stones. Got a real nice edge on it.

Steve56, lottenhem, TestDepth and 2 others like this.