Is it my razor??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ben Keller, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

As I have stated I'm new to these safety razors and am currently using a King C Gillette that I love. However if I let my beard grow for 2 days it is difficult to get a good shave. I'm wondering if it's the razor?? Or is that just how it goes?

stuartganis likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'll preface by saying I've never used the King C, but I have many razors and I have never had a problem with any of them dealing with a couple days growth.
    I doubt it's the razor, but I've been wrong before.
    Have you tried different blades?

stuartganis likes this.
  3. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

Well that is the other thing I was thinking. I have a few other brands that I am going to try

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The King Gillette is a Muhle R89 clone. There is no reason this razor can't take down 5+ days of growth. Therefore, it's you.
    It's important to find the correct angle; stubble REDUCTION, not removal with one pass.
    Map your beard growth and make three passes.
    With the grain
    Across the grain
    Against the grain.
    Don't press.
    Lather up well between each pass.
    Imagine you're removing the lather, NOT the stubble.

Herm2502, Trigger and Ratpoison like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hi Ben. It's not the tools. It's you. :)

In my humble opinion, changing up your kit while you're learning is not helpful. Consider joining the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread led by @Trigger. I believe your shaves will improve greatly after following a 30 Day Rule.

Have fun!

stuartganis, Terry, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  6. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

There is a learning curve when first using a new razor. Needless to say DE’s are a much different animal. Give yourself time try different techniques. Once you get it down you’ll be golden. Just stick with it.

stuartganis likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

In the case in might be the razor and even if it isn't using a beard trimmer on the lowest setting first to get multiple days growth down is always helpful.

stuartganis likes this.
  8. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

Thanks for all the advice!!! I'll stand pat on what I'm doing and take everyone's advice!! I really appreciate all the help

9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

100% in agreement with you Maestro.

Herm2502 likes this.