Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is, I just checked the history so is the Personna Precision Micrometric. My bad.

2. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

I have no idea of what this is. It was listed as a Le Supreme but it is actually more of a Hol'Pif (which is a unicorn)
    It has elements of both. I've asked about it on another forum and have come up empty.
    Best guess that came up is that its a Transition razor - anyway its the only one that I and a few others have ever seen.

If anyone has more info - add it here please.....

LeHolPif copy.jpg

tonich and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They are far as I know the same razor under different brand names.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I take that back not the same but almost the same the knobs on the handles are different but the use the same basic razor head adjustment and design.

HolPif.jpg

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am going to concur that and also say the L'Essor instruction sheet backs that up since they show the same handle style as on the Hol'Pif. They remind me of the Cooper Monobilts which came with both styles of handle knurling.

7. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I walked that back before once I was able to see the tightening knob which reminds me of the difference between a British Gillette Rocket and French Gillette Monobloc, they only differ by the knob on the handle in the same manner. Same razor otherwise right down to how they shave.

9. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

They shave differently.
    Le Supremes are differential / Hol Pifs are not. This not a differential, so like a HolPif.
    It has more Hol'Pif characteristics.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I did not know that, I stand corrected. If you don't mind would you be able to put on some pictures showing the difference since far as I know there is no good picture documentation on the razor heads on any of the forums.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I just pulled mine out to look and never did notice the differential thing until you mentioned it. The guards are silghtly offset on each side.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not sure how unicorny some of the vintage Feather razors really are since it might be more a case of there are plenty of them floating around Japan still but they don't make their way outside of Japan unlike some other foreign made razors like Gibbs adjustables for example.

With that said if this razor isn't a unicorn it certainly is significant for other reasons.
    Feather knockoff of an Autostrop VC2
    FEATHER1.jpg FEATHER2.jpg

If it wasn't for this razor the Feather FHS-10 and FAS-10 blades wouldn't exist and there probably wouldn't be any modern blades otherwise that work as intended with the original Autostrop razors also One blade would be No Blade.

RFBNEW likes this.
  13. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

Like you said, it's not hard to find Feather vintage razors on Japanese auction site.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I figured it was writing issue in that it is not easy even for computers to translate from logographic to phonologic writing systems and it would also require everyone having japanese font sets installed along with English.

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I had seen everything. That is also a Walter Busch & Sohn design sold as a Walbusch Flexi.

https://shavinguniverse.com/community/threads/walbusch-walter-busch-sohn.2234/

Also there is another picture of that Apollo Mikron that shows it also came with a chromed metal handle.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Ad with the Walbusch Flexi incase those pictures disappear sometime later on. This is a bona fide unicorn.

sohn.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Kamikaze.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1352264955/kamikaze-safety-razor-co-open-comb

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd opine it is possibly a unicorn. Healthy debate is usually good on these matters. I am going to opine though it is pre WWII since kamikaze would have had negative connotations after the war. With that said I still think the feather version is more significant for everyone still having a commercially made blade that fits these style razors.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: A Japanese monoplane that made a record-breaking flight from Tokyo to London in 1937 for the Asahi newspaper group was named Kamikaze. She was a prototype for the Mitsubishi Ki-15 ("Babs").

:)

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Japan didn't enter WWII until 1941 if that is what you are getting at. Time frame for it correlates to the Autostrop model it is a knock off of which is theVC2. The VC2 was produced worldwide from 1929 - 1939 and from 1939 - 1941 in Australia only. This razor being produced in 38 or 39 first and called that to take advantage of the positive publicity of the flight is certainly a possibility.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.