What you might not know about The Shave Den

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dridecker, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

This is for both new and old members alike, since there may be a few things about this fine forum that you never knew.

The Shave Den, that great spot on the internet where many of us come on a daily basis to talk about, and ask questions about wet shaving. For some of us, it’s a social gathering place where we come to chit-chat about anything and everything besides shaving. Since becoming a member, I've met and become friends with people from all over the world, and hope in the future to do so with many more.

:signs002:But at what cost, is it free? Yes it is to you and me, but to our Administrator Sparky, that is not the case. The software that the board runs on isn't free, and the server and bandwidth to run the board are not free either. Yet unlike some boards, TSD has remained free from advertisements, and there is no big push for donations to keep it running either.

:signs002: So what pays the bills? The proceeds from The Shave Den Shop pay for the cost of keeping The Shave Den up and running.

:signs002: What is The Shave Den Store? In a word, JoAnna, or as she may be better known to many of you the Queen of Blades. You see, the TSD store is a one person operation, from time an order is placed until the time the order is shipped, it is that one lady that does it all. She custom makes soaps, creams, aftershave splashes, and aftershave milks to order, stocks and pulls items for orders, boxes and ships those orders all by herself. Not that that isn’t enough to keep her plate full, but she also oversees much of the running of the forums on a day to day basis. Sure she and Sparky have help from us mods, but there is very little that lady doesn't have a hand in when it comes to the smooth running of this board.

Now here is the real kicker, she does it for free! That's right, free! When I said earlier that all proceeds from the store go toward paying the fees to keep The Shave Den up and running I meant it. JoAnna does all of that hard work solely to keep this board running, without drawing any pay for her efforts. Even when making her own custom shave goodies, the only reward she gets is knowing that the forums are running, and when somebody thanks her for making the outstanding products that she makes. And trust me folks, I know for a fact that the lady puts in many, many a long hours on a daily basis for this place.

So at this point I want to say thanks to the two special people that have given me my home on the web.

Sparky, I thank you very much for all the behind the scenes work you do around here, and for giving us this fine board in the first place. :happy096

JoAnna, thank you for all the hard work you do in the store to make sure the bills are paid so we all have a place to go where we can find info for our shave questions, and have a place to socialize. :thanks:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yes! I have never met or chatted with either of you, but a big thank you to Sparky and JoAnna from me as well. I got all of my start-up tips from this board. TSD has been an invaluable resource for me.

Mike-R41, JazzDoc, alfredG and 2 others like this.
  3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Muy excellente post, sir!
    Will do my part to spread to word

JazzDoc likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Many thanks to JoAnna and Sparky!

Hats off to you, Bill, for a most magnificent post.

jason koonce, JazzDoc and PatrickA51 like this.
  5. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Very fitting tribute to someone who really works to make a community and bring together people from all continents and races for a common passion.

Thank you Joanna & Sparky - Please keep the goodness rolling !!

Bill, You are good man for letting us all know !!

:happy096:thanks:happy096

JazzDoc likes this.
  6. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I think openly accepting monetary donations from members is OK and think many folks would contribute.

Old School and JazzDoc like this.
  7. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I'll add to the chorus of many thanks to Sparky (never even heard of him before this post), JoAnna, and all of the mods who are also clearly working for free.

JazzDoc and awake2shave like this.
  8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I didn't even think about most of the people here not knowing how much Sparky and JoAnna put into this place. Great idea to make this post Bill!
    A well deserved thanks again to Sparky and JoAnna.
    And, for those who want to donate, you can buy a "donation" in TSD store. Though, as has been pointed out in past threads, simply buying shave goodies makes a significant contribution.

JazzDoc and awake2shave like this.
  9. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Bravo, Bill :happy096

Well said :happy088

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

American shaver likes this.
  10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Good to know. That makes the store sort of like a co-op that we all benefit from. Perhaps we should offer to send the store products we no longer intend to use (old vintage razors, new unopened blade packs, etc), so the store can resell them, if that is feasible. At the rate I am experimenting/accumulating, once I find my favorite few I would consider a worthy place to "thin down" to. Even pack rats need to practice reduction sometime.

11. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Great post Bill!

And thanks so much to JoAnna and Sparky!

I had no idea that the entire proceeds from TSD products go toward running the board. I believe that is the definition of dedication.

12. stingraysrock

Hey I will +1 that. I am new to the board, but I think that you have a great idea!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wow, guys! When I woke up this morning and saw this thread, I was just flabbergasted. Took me awhile to figure out how to reply.

People always wonder why I work so hard and do so much for nothing. It's not nothing. This forum isn't just some forum to me. I and a bunch of great friends created this forum. It's very truly my internet home, and want it to be the same for others. I have made wonderful friends here. Some are no longer around, but they still have a place in my mind and thoughts. And there's always new, interesting, intelligent, and fun people coming in everyday.

Makes it worth the hard work and stress.

It most certainly does. We thought about selling magazine subscriptions to y'all, but figured the schools had that covered. :rofl

Wouldn't it be nice if schools sold school supplies to raise money? :think002
    Absolutely! The community is very important to us here at TSD. If anyone wants to donate, trade, or even sell unused or good condition shaving paraphernalia to the store, I am very happy to discuss such dealings with anyone, preferably through the store contact us/email as my PM box gets pretty flooded.

Same goes for the Newbie Give-Away. If you have stuff (ie- unused blades, samples, razors, brushes, etc) laying around you'd like to share with newbies, we'll be happy to accept those, too.

Anyways, thank you guys very much. Especially Bill!

It is my pleasure to be able to help provide this wonderful community to you all!

And last but not in the slightest bit least; Thank you ALL for making this a community worth wasting (I mean, spending) time at. :happy096 Without your info, tests, experiments, et al there wouldn't be a forum.

brit, JazzDoc, Key 2 Wellness and 3 others like this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

wonderful post,Bill. I add my thanks to Sparky and our Queen.
    I'd also like to thank our terrific moderators for keeping TSD the excellent place it is.

JazzDoc likes this.
  15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Knew I was going to forget something.

Thanks to our great mod team, and our fearless leader, Sparky! :1respect

JazzDoc likes this.
  16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Ah, yes, Bill, such a post was indeed overdue. Publicly acknowleding what Bobby and JoAnna do for this board is a great way to let them know how thankful we all are - me included - for what they do. So THANKS, guys! ::

JazzDoc likes this.
  17. groffjj

groffjj New Member

Thank you so much for this site. It has pushed me into wet shaving and given me heap loads of advice to make my days that much happier.

18. DragnetFan

DragnetFan New Member

I would like to add my thanks to all those who make this site possible, it is such an awesome resource, so thanks to Joanna, Sparky and all the Mods!!!!

19. Kevin

Kevin Member

Very good information

Thank you very much Bobby, JoAnna for the hard work/passion you bring to this place. I truly believe that the work, and sacrifice you both do, as well as the non-advertising format is what makes this place so great, and a place to make good friends.
    I couldn't step away from the mic with out thanking Bill for bringing this to the public's knowledge, and the MOD Team for the work that they do.

:happy096:thanks:signs107:happy096:signs107:thanks:happy096:signs107:thanks

:happy093:happy093:happy093:happy093:happy093

20. stingraysrock

Speaking of the non-advertizing format; thank you!

Also, I find that interface / formatting of TSD is easier to read and navigate than some of the other shaving boards out there, although I intend no slight what-so-ever to those other boards mind you!