The "what is" and " how to" thread for the Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Mar 10, 2011.

1. thatmikeguy

thatmikeguy New Member

Holidays and moving have gotten in the way. Have a few pics to post, and hopefully another restoration/side project/old-school accoutrement to post as well. Should have them up soon, Houston here we come!

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Hi all,

I recently got two Rolls Razors. The 1st is an Imperial #1 in Silver Plate. The 2nd is a Viscount. The Viscount is in shiny nearly new condition; the Imperial was something of a mess but is cleaning up nicely. The blade on the Imperial is bad and really has not improved with repeated honing-stropping cycles. I am looking for a new blade for it or may just get the one I have honed. Can anyone tell me how to correctly remove the wedge blade from the head?

Many thanks,

Barry
    Newbie from Freeport, NY

3. jbraman

jbraman Member

I got a new Rolls today, Pics here. I'm not sure what model it is, but it came in a blue presentation type box. the blade has a date of '51 on it. Can anybody help me with a model?

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am not a Rolls user, but we have those who are, and I am sure they will answer your questions.

Cap7597 likes this.
  5. jbraman

jbraman Member

You should be able to flip the blade up vertically without moving the handle assembly. When the blade is pointed up, twist it counter clock-wise. Once it is turned half a turn, lift up, and it should come right off. Like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the great information!! I was able to find a NOS Rolls Blade on eBay and a Hone to replace the one on my Viscount which creaked. The hone broke a few days ago- I didn't drop it. Do these tend to crack with age? The shaves I have gotten so far have been somewhat rough and tuggy. How much does it improve with a new blade?

Many thanks,

Barry

7. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Hi,

I'm still waiting for the NOS Rolls Imperial Blades and hone. Does anyone know if a blade for the Imperial is OK in a Viscount?

Is there any special thing to do (or be careful with) when removing the actual wedge blade from the Razor Head? There is a two sided clip on the bottom of the head. It appears that this must be removed before you can replace the blade. It is not completely clear to me and I don't want to screw up anything. Has anyone had occasion to replace the hone? Does it need to be glued in?

Sorry for all the 'Newbie' questions!

Barry

8. jbraman

jbraman Member

Not sure which clip you are talking about Barry. You weren't able to just turn the blade and take it off? Is there any way you can post a photo or drawing of what you are having difficulty with?

9. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Hi,

I was able to take it off but the actual blade is in a metal housing. maybe the new blade includes the head?

Thanks,

Barry

10. jbraman

jbraman Member

Is it a thin bar, like a safety bar that swivels across the edge of the blade? I'll have to look at mine and let you know

11. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

I think so- but I'm not certain. What do people do if they send the blade in to be honed professionally?

Thanks,

Barry

12. Johnl

Johnl New Member

bdlehr - The Rolls blade may be honed with the safety bar in place, The bar will flop to the other side of the edge. If you read my previous entry on honing the blade with the rolls hone out of it's lid, flat on newspaper, on a table top, you will note that it is a question of patiently grinding each side, until, 1, the edge is evenly ground on both sides, and 2, any evidence of black rust pitting has been removed from the edge.

Light pitting can be removed, deeper rusting will require a professional re-grind, and finding a better blade on ebay will probably be cheaper.
    Several repeats of honing/stropping cycles will be required to bring a blade back to regular shaving condition, but once this is achieved, twenty stropping strokes before shaving, and twenty after, will keep the blade in condition.

Fifty years of non use requires an hour or so of effort to overcome :)

Good luck!

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for sharing! Great post!
    Just got my first Rolls and am busy cleaning and relubricating it.
    It's a stainless steel one with two spare blades, De Luxe model E. In fairly good condition, I think.
    Can't wait to try it. Carefully...

Greetz, Mike

alpla444 likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Today I had my first shave with my Rolls!
    BBS, though a bit rough while shaving the neck. Will have some more stropping to do. Thanks again for the great post!

BeeGee, alpla444 and swarden43 like this.
  15. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

this is very cool...i see these things at my antique outlet all the time and could never figure them out..lol...thanks for the info

alpla444 likes this.
  16. Tomas Garcia

Tomas Garcia Member

Just bought one off eBay and am now waiting patiently for its arrival!

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Goor for you!

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Niiiiiiice! Make sure you post some pics 'cause, as ya know, ya ain't gots it till ya gots the pics ta prove it! :)

KeenEdger likes this.
  19. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Wow- I finally got the new hone and NOS blades for my Rolls Razor. The hone went in fine with no problems. I cleaned the blade in alcohol just to make sure it was sanitary. I did a good prep and used Taylor Sandlewood. Before the cleaning I stropped the new blade about 25 times. It is much smoother with the new blade but did not give a really close shave. (3 passes) I dried it and then stropped it once more 25x. Do you think more stropping or a honing/stropping would improve the sharpness? Thanks!

Barry

20. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Oh- I forgot to say I now have 3 Rolls Razors!!! An Imperial 1 and 2 Viscounts.... The Idea of the Rolls really appeals to me. Probably 99.99 percent of the public uses cheap plastic throw-aways which give bad shaves and create a mountain of litter every year!

Barry