Can be dangerous...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by InfernoOrangeSS, Jul 28, 2012.

1. InfernoOrangeSS

InfernoOrangeSS New Member

I just wanted to say that since I got into DE shaving very recently, I have developed a sickness. I really love the old Gillettes. I have now purchased about 12-15 of them. I think one of the things I really love about DE shaving, and probably what attracted me initially, is the link to the past. I remember seeing my grandfather back in the day using his mug, and safety razor to shave. I started out just doing research, and found this large group of people who share my love of a great shave. I had no idea such a large amount of people shaved this way. In fact, I had no idea anyone still shaved this way. It has been a great time so far refining my technique with all of your help, but even more importantly, collecting. I love collecting the old Gillettes and thought for now, I would confine my collecting to just the area of Super Speeds and the like, (though I have been acquiring nice examples of other Gillettes as well).
    Thank you all for the help and info you have imparted on everyone. It is good to be able to have reliable info on things like dates, styles, etc.
    Just recently, I have curtailed my acquisitions. I think I may be getting over my mania.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ahh, discovered brushes, creams, soaps, and aftershaves did you?

I'd let you down gently, but there's really no need. This is only temporary. I too, reached that point and was satisfied for a time. Then I started reading about vintage injectors, single edges, and straights. Once that buying spree was over, I was fine for another while. Now I'm starting to get into exotic or unusual DE razor designs...

Save yourself, don't worry about me!

PBSax likes this.
  3. InfernoOrangeSS

I know it is but a brief respite to my mania, but it's all good. I like the thrill of new acquisitions. I think it's the collector in me that loves getting razors from yesteryear. It's just that much more fun that you can actually use them and try them out on yourself. I just love that there are others who share my love and are so nice to impart their wisdom, and experiences.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

So many razors! So little beard!

DaveL, VideoGames and Slipperyjoe like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pics?

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd stop at 100 plus DE and SE razors, until I gave into the world of straight razors. So now I'm selling DE's to pay for the straight RAD. Good luck with stopping at the 12 to 15.

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I hear ya..Sometimes I think even my minimalist tendencies are no match for the power of the dark side ad's..:signs136:

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Inferno,

As far as collecting goes, you've already seen that guys and gals vary from relatively few to dozens to hundreds, with their collections in different degrees of constant flux, at least in the earlier stages (off top of my head I don't recall any of us limiting himself to just ONE but I bet there's someone).

But as to usage, if you're like most folks you'll eventually find (and this will take time and much experimentation) that you finally gravitate toward a certain few types and models that you actually enjoy using frequently - a blend of razors you'll swear by to anyone, a mix that is uniquely yours that no one else here exactly matches. As it should be!

Now and then you may regret parting with one; you'll then seek out another like it to replace it, and either decide "Nah, it's not for me after all" or you'll keep it from then on. The rest will disappear from your house forever with no twinges of guilt.

Personally, I've possessed around 20 at one time at my peak (some duplicates). I have been as low as a few and am now down to six with one inbound. For the first time I'm not foreseeing any paring down of those seven; I've tried pretty much all the basic types (if not every individual example) and have settled on what I like. But then again, I've said that before, too. :ashamed001:

Enjoy the hunt, and the experimentation. That's where most of the fun is.

Monkeylord and Conrad1959 like this.
  9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

That makes perfect sense to me, lol. I'm about a heartbeat away from selling some straights to buy a Chubby, which for some reason, I think I can't live without.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You should see if you can't trade a straight for a Chubby.

Is it just me, or did that sound a little bit wrong?

Monkeylord likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is you and it did sound a little bit wrong! OOC

awake2shave and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. InfernoOrangeSS

I am sure I won't go crazy and have a gigantic collection. As I said, I love the old/older Gillettes, so I am confining myself to Super Speeds and variations. I am sure I will eventually settle on one or two that will be my "go to" shave razor. Thanks for all the info/recollections.

13. InfernoOrangeSS

...And I will get pics up as soon as I can.

14. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

My tried and true method so far: Stay away from eBay. It gets easier if I limit myself to only garage sales, pawn shops, thrift shops....Ehm...It kind of works...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:pics:

16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I once said that....before the razor genie came and took me to those other eBay sites!

17. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

LOL, that is similar to what I said, I will just get a razor from my birth year, wouldn't that be cool....

Of course, I didn't quite stop there as you can see here, and things have only gotten 'worse' since then with a 'few' more razors added since then and now, OOPS, the brushes are invading too!

alpla444 likes this.
  18. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Sigh...I was on eBay late last night...:p

I'll post results after the auctions close... If I win.

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You know you've got it bad when you bid with money you are going to get from your next paycheck. Not that I have that problem.:innocent

VideoGames and Mark1966 like this.
  20. VideoGames

VideoGames New Member

Ugh...the truth stings worse than a dull blade's shave! :angry017:

PLANofMAN likes this.