Types of aftershaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I use straight WH mixed 50/50 with Rose Water.

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I used Thayers Witch Hazel with Lavender and Aloe Vera. It doesn't contain alcohol and really soothes and moisturizes.

Charles K likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Straight WH. I'll follow up with a cologne or aftershave like Brut or Clubman just to smell good.

4. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I first used straight WH. Then I added just enough Tabac cologne to give it a nicer scent (about 10 to 12 squirts for a 2 oz bottle). When that bottle was half gone, I filled it back up with rum (after pouring a drink first), making a 50/50 mix of WH/Rum, plus cologne. My next step will be to add a bit of glycerin and aloe juice. I do like the bit of burn the rum provides.

After that, use other after shave products, which may or may not have WH in them.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Has anyone mixed a bit of their leftover lather with the witch hazel? I started doing this when I wasn't going to be wearing any A/S. I just take about a dime sized amount of lather in the palm of my cupped hand and then pour the witch hazel on top of it. I rub my hands together then go to my face with it, just as I would do when applying only WH. I don't use enough to make my face all soapy, but enough so that I can carry the scent a bit longer. It seems to work pretty well, for me. I like being able to smell the scent of my soap/cream long after I'm done shaving.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I have recently found that mixing extra lubricating/intensive care skin lotion whatever brand I personally go to the Dollar Tree or Dollar General (I'm a terrible cheapskate I'll be the first to admit), and then buy the generic version of original Listerine and start off by mixing them about 50/50, (mix a little water with the Listerine at first if you wish) and put the mixture into some sort of bottle and shake vigorously. Apply after shaving. The skin lotion part will soothe and moisturize your face while the Listerine part of the mix will have a very nice cooling/invigorating effect on your face with no stinging. If you go to the Dollar tree you can get a bottle of high powered lotion, some generic Listerine, and a nice little pump bottle/container all for just 3 Dollars plus tax. Not saying its the best, but it works for me just fine and its cheap.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Question: Why apply a splash or balm on wet face?

8. Rui Marques

Rui Marques Well-Known Member

+1

9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I didn't get any response here, so a while ago I posted a thread on the topic.

I found that it's merely for diluting the splash so scent and alcohol is not so strong. I've since tried that approach and with my Williams/AV I kinda like it, whether it's wet hands or wet face doesn't matter, but the result is good.

So it's not something you MUST do, like when boiling potatoes, add water to a cooking pan first.

Balm wise I don't see the point.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/wet-or-dry-why.33446/

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never used Witch Hazel as I'm still unsure of it's purpose/benefit over Nivea/postshave balm and/or a nice smelling splash. I like to put on the Nivea first for the protection and soothing feeling it gives and then after letting it air dry for a bit, follow with a splash(AV,Pinuad,Mennen,FloridaWater or a BayRum etc) for some smell..I also like topping everything off with a "VERY" light application of baby powder to help remove any left over moisture and it makes my face feel so good....

As to why apply it over a wet face?? I think it's suppose to help hold/replace moisture in the skin, but I honestly do it because I was told to in the beginning and I'm used to dong it now and it doesn't seem to hurt anything and feels "traditional" and comforting to me now....:)

BigT likes this.
  11. Sea Doggy

Sea Doggy New Member

While I do enjoy a good BayRum I try and stay away from aftershaves. A few drops of Shave Secret is good for me.

12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Very helpful, thanks

13. Charles K

Charles K New Member

I use Thayers also, normally when I shave at night, Aqua Velva for daytime.

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Excellent information. Thanks Will.

:happy096:

15. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Very informational post. Thanks

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Just don't do that Mac laugh :) (drove me nuts)

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I doubt he will. He hasn't been around since May 2010.

18. Paul Turner

If I may use a baseball analogy, bay rum will be my "setup" aftershave for Clubman. That is, bay rum for most of the fall, then Clubman throughout the winter.

Hodge likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

I'll throw in Rise Cooling Balm in your section bout balms.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

In my den it's alum, then balm (dermatologist recommendation) goes on before the splash - but YMMV.