What ails you?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by youngunn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I want to start a thread to talk about our various maladies and support each other so as not to clog up the mostly positive vibe in the how's your day thread.

Hope this can help some, I know I'm in need of some support right now.

Leo K. and Queen of Blades like this.
  2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I've never been diagnosed, but i am pretty positive that i have OCD, and a slight form of Tourettes. I have a nervous tick that makes me keep twitching my shoulder. I swear like an animal, but thats just from being a product of my environment. LOL!

youngunn likes this.
  3. youngunn

What ails me?

I've had a rough year. Ive had severe depression for a while, switched doctors and started seeing a counselor and they got my meds straightened out and feeling better. I was sent for a sleep study, where I found out that I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea. So then I had to buy a cpap machine but a couple months in I can definitely tell its helping, before I would feel like the walking dead for a couple hours after I woke up. Turns out I stop breathing at night hundreds of times and my brain and organs were starving for oxygen. I've probably had this issue for years.......... Also I switched dermatologist because I was tired of always having psoriasis on my knees and other areas. They got the plaques under control but referred me to a rheumatologist due to my bad joint pain. The rheumatologist is awesome. But I found out I have PsA, psoriatic arthritis, which is a lot like rheumatoid arthritis where the joints aren't just worn out due to use but are swelling and causing damage to themselves... It has taken 2 months of arguing with my insurance to get them to cover the needed medicine to treat it. I am currently self injecting Enbrel to suppress my immune system to hopefully stop the PsA from attacking my joints... I have such bad knee, neck, and hand pain anymore I don't know how to deal with it. I take 4 hydrocodone 500mg a day (vicadin + Tylenol) and it makes it tolerable enough to do my job, diesel mechanic, but I know I can't do this job forever due to how hard it is on my body. So there's that stress also.
    I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, partly due to bad diet but also related to sleep apnea. When I wake up I'm so nauseated I feel like throwing up. When we go anywhere like shopping my knees hurt so bad I have to stop to sit down every hour or so.

I'm 29.

So I really appreciate being able to escape these problems for a few minutes and have fun shaving when I can, or find neat old gear or new products to try.

Thanks for listening.

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm sorry for all of the ailments that you have at such a young age! Hopefully the meds will help ease the pains. Have any of the Docs recommended physical therapy? That seems to always be a course of action with my ailments (bad back with 3 surgeries). I know in my heart that IF I were to change my diet, I could probably rid myself of my diabetes, BUT haven't had the sense to commit, just yet. Good luck in your search for relief.

youngunn likes this.
  5. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I'm old and I'm falling apart. :D Which is a problem sense I've been about 17 my whole life.

Here's a life tip for the young. You know how you can just "walk off" some pretty serious stuff now? Well in 50 years, all that "healed" damage is gonna come back to haunt you to your grave. (and by haunt, I mean hurt every day) Cheers!

Peter Allen and youngunn like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have arthritis is my spine & both knees. I recently got a TENS unit that is helping with both. But I really think I am too young to be this old.

youngunn likes this.
  7. youngunn

What is a TENS?

8. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

I've got a bum knee, a bad back, and an achy shoulder; all of which are the result of years of abuse that I sustained playing football from pop warner through college. I'm turning 28 next month, but somedays I feel easily double that...

youngunn likes this.
  9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What ails me? Oh my goodness, I could be here all day typing that out. :eek:

The only known ailments; Diabetic since 1987, and in need of a root canal.

I'm feeling those long-term effects of Diabetes that as a child/teenager I paid little attention to.

crackstar and youngunn like this.
  10. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about all of your ailments as well as everyone else who posted. I hope they get better.
    Your doctor should perscribe you something better then 5mg Hydrocodone + vicoden & tylenol While you are probably still under the recommended limit of ACAP, it sounds like you are cutting it close & it will begin to take a toll on your liver. If you feel any extra pain near the sides of your lower back or kidney areas you may want to bring that issue up to your dr. Hope it gets better.
    I have a lot of lower back pain from a dirtbike accident when I was younger, but I do not want to take any narcotic pain relievers. I'm afraid of getting addicted, so I do a lot of stretches and certain exercises that help. I also have a couple of cool massage thingys that use electricity to relax the nerves. I've even had my girlfriend stand on my back before, thankfully she's small enough to do that.

youngunn likes this.
  11. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Well I'm 26 now and have been getting kidney stones since I was around 22 I believe. I average about one a year. I had to have ultra sonic whatever its called done for them the one time. I'm sure I'll be paying that bill off forever.

youngunn likes this.
  12. Heloguy

Dude, I had the same thing. i was overweight, smoked 2 packs of marlboro reds a day, drank and ate like it was the last supper on a daily basis.
    Then, I met the love of my life.
    I cleaned up my act, started eating right and working out on a daily basis. I've dropped 40 pounds and have kept it off for about 4 years now. I'm in the best shape of my life. As far as the sleep Apnea goes, I dont even snore any more.
    I just signed up for my 2nd Tough Mudder event, and i look better than i did in my twenties! (I'll be 43 in May)
    If i can give you any advice, its lose some weight and maintain a healthy diet, cardio program. You will be amazed how much losing as little as 10 pounds can do for your overall well being.
    Stay strong and HIT THE GYM!!!
    you'll thank me in 3 months! ;)

ohpaos, Hanzo and youngunn like this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Man I feel for all you guys that have health issues. I guess the only thing that ails me is allergies. I'm allergic to pollen. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it hits me sometimes.

My problems are small compared to everyone else's.

youngunn likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's a gizmo that uses little adhesive electrodes, to deliver a low level of electrical current through the skin. It shuts down your pain nerves for a while. It's pretty safe & means less medication for me.

youngunn likes this.
  15. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

This is a good idea for a thread.

I’ve been diagnosed with depression and OCD and currently in treatment for it. The depression treatment has gone well, but OCD is very difficult to control. My doc says it always takes longer to control the OCD. But it’s been better compared to what I was five years ago. Oh my!

It effects everything I love and enjoy. Take shaving for instance, I get such joy from it, but I’m OCD about getting a BBS shave. I’m doing all I can to reassure myself to “not make perfect the enemy of good enough” and purposely hold back on some days just to gain my own control back. That’s my challenge now I’m getting my technique now. On my best days I’m happy with not trying for BBS, relaxed and enjoying my Shaving Zen. BUT on other days I’m intense and have to get a BBS. It’s like holding the reins of a team of horses.

Thanks be to God for my loving wife, who handles my ailments with such compassion, love and care.

BigT, youngunn and Heloguy like this.
  16. Heloguy

we should call this "The house of pain!" Everyone's messed up!

BigT, lradke, youngunn and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We may be messed up but at least we get good shaves!

Peter Allen, BigT, lradke and 3 others like this.
  18. youngunn

Even when I was hitting the gym a lot and in good shape I felt the same way, its my little throat flapper thingy is lazy. I can't hardly work out due to my PsA, its hard just to walk let alone exercise. Water aerobics may be the only thing I can do.

19. youngunn

I'm a perfectionist, I feel you there. My counselor has been helping me with it. I have slight OCD, not to the point of washing my hands compulsively or anything. Hang in there.

20. youngunn

My father in law gets the same things, he's had to get the ultrasound to break them up as well.