Best synthetic brush? Please help

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jeremy4188, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jeremy4188

Jeremy4188 New Member

I am looking for a good synthetic brush. This is my first time using a shaving brush. All feedback is welcome. Hope someone can help.

wombadom, youngunn and FacialCarnage like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

3. Jeremy4188

Jeremy4188 New Member

I am vegan and don't want to use the animal hair. If it is a good brush and will last long I will pay $50-$60 price range.

youngunn and FacialCarnage like this.
  4. Erik Redd

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, here are some offerings in that price range.

1. Vintage Shave 24 mm.
    http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1467&cat=240&page=1

[​IMG]

2. Omega Syntex 26 mm

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/omega-46151--top-of-the-line-syntex-shaving-46151.html

[​IMG]

This is a larger brush than the 24 mm above even though the picture is smaller.

3. Muhle K39256 19 mm (Small Brush)

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/mu39sfi.html

[​IMG]

Notice that each is under $60 and that I gave you three great vendors.

Vintage Blades
    ShoeBox
    Bullgoose

If you want a quick delivery of a solid brush, the three vendors I chose have a size and/or type selection as well.

Good fortune on your choice.

youngunn, oscar11 and Erik Redd like this.
  6. Erik Redd

See? I told you he'd have a lot of good advice and recommendations :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Gary has more experience with synthetics than I do but I will tell you I'm a fan. I've have the Muhle and original 28mm H.I.S. and am very pleased with both. I do use badger and feel these brushes compare very favorably. I just received a TGN synthetic knot and my first impression is very good but I haven't shaved with it yet. One word of caution, there are some excellent synthetics out there but also a few clinkers.

alpla444 likes this.
  8. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I love synthetic brushes, they are some of the softest knots I have ever used. My synthetic brush is softer then my badger that has 7months of break in time. The lather seems to be a little more rich as well.

9. Joey Pellegrino

Joey Pellegrino Active Member

I orderd a synthetic brush from ebay and I have yet to recieve it! let's hope it works well!

10. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

The fibers have gotten much better in the last couple years. As long as you get a newer one, odds are it'll be pretty good -very good. Do you remember the maker of the brush you ordered by any chance?

11. Joey Pellegrino

Diane Barber shop. I got it very very cheap so i didn't expect it to last long

12. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that. It's good to start cheap, I'm assuming your just getting started since your a new member. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean poor quality, you'd be surprised that you can get some really great Omega boar brushes for like 9 dollars and great Silver Tip badges from whipped dog for around $30.

13. Joey Pellegrino

Taking it slow.....if I like the wetshave I'll invest in a nice razor and better brush. I didn't want to splurge and end up changing my mind, but from what I hear everyone who tries it never goes back to the goo

FacialCarnage likes this.
  14. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Next time you're in Manhattan go to Pasteurs pharmacy. They have 2 locations. One on 34th St. between Madison and Park Ave. And one on Lexington and 62nd or 63rd. I usually go to the one on 34th. It's a little bigger. The place is Mecca for wet shavers. They have everything you can imagine. You can pick up a great Edwin Jagger DE89 for under $40.

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I may be mistaken, but I think you will find this "faux badger bristle" is actually a very cheap boar brush, died to somewhat resemble badger. Let us know.

16. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

One of my favourite brushes is a Kent Indinity Silvertex. This is a modern synthetic brush with a very smooth feel but enough backbone for soaps as well as creams. About £12 in UK, don't know about US though.

17. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

you dont find that brush a bit small?

18. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

No. The loft is slightly more than my favourite brush: a New Forrest 2204 badger.

19. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i use a HIS synthetic when my shaving soap tub is a deep tub.....i use a Muehle synthetic when the container is shallow.

i do prefer the muhle though

20. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member