Disposing of used double edged safety razor blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

When a trusty double edged blade reaches the end of its sharp life, what is the best way to dispose of it? I know better than to just toss it into a trash bag, as it may injure others.
    I have had several ideas, from wrapping it in plastic shipping tape to placing several inside a small pill bottle. Any advice on this? Thanks -

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Do have a medicine cabinet that is recessed in the wall?

I still have an old medicine cabinet that has the blade slot in the back for deposing blades. That is what I use.

Herm2502, Frank C. and Dark Vapor like this.
  3. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

No, unfortunately I do not have a medicine cabinet of that type.

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Here's an old thread.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/safety-razor-blade-disposal.8435/

I bought an old blade bank off eBay for a few dollars, it was almost a year before it filled up, mainlt because of the SE blades that are a lot bigger than DE blades. I checked eBay and they seem to be a lot more expensive now. I've got a round can with removable lid some cologne came in, I'll just put them in there til it's full, then dispose of it.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

DE Used Blade Bank...$1.00
    available online if you wish not to make your own can.

[​IMG]

BigMark, Boojum1, Ryan B and 3 others like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I keep my blades in an old tin that had Udder Balm in it at one time. Once the container is filled do most people tape it up and put into recycle?

Dark Vapor likes this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Those blade banks, made by Feather if I am not mistaken, are great. They fit on a medicine cabinet shelf and are dirt cheap. My first one held about two years worth of blades, and I shave every day. Em's Place sells them, as do many other online wetshaving stores.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I use an old Altoid tin. I've been DE shaving for almost a year, using blades on average 4 shaves, and the tin isn't even 1/4 full. One day when it is, I'll take it to a a metal recycler.

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Blade Bank as the others have noted. A large pill or vitamin bottle (as I use) costs nothing and works well. You can even cut a slit in the side or top for easy loading. Then just tape it over with duct tape before throwing the whole thing into the trash (or recycling) when full. A plastic pint or 1/2 pint milk or juice container also works well.

Carbide Mike and Dark Vapor like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I repurposed an empty "Deep South" brand parsley container..I keep it in the bottom drawer of my bathroom vanity....The lid on it is has a flip top and is perfect for easy disposing of old razor blades either DE or SE..I shave daily and at the rate it looks like I'm filling the container at it will take at least another 4-6 years before it's filled...Then I'll just tape the top down, punch some holes in the sides with an icepick, throw the whole thing in the garbage and get another...
    Advantages:
    It repurposes trash(the plastic spice container)
    Minimizes handling of the razor blades,
    Keeps them safely contained for easy secure disposal..
    The only drawback is it isn't pretty if you want/need to keep it on top of your vanity, also your vanity drawer needs to be 8 1/2" deep if you use the large size container(8 1/2"x3 1/2"x 2 1/2") Although they do make smaller sizes...:)

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Dollar store coin banks work well too and are often made of cardboard so they can be recycled as well.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some blades come with a plastic dispenser that has a slot on the back for used blades.
    I, too, have a blade bank.

Carbide Mike, Daytonkb and Dark Vapor like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I just use an old hair wax tin container with screw-on lid for my used blades. Around 3x6 cm in dimensions.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  15. cswann1

cswann1 Member

I take a $.50 can 0f chicken broth and using a large kitchen knife cut a slot in the top and dump the broth. Viola! blade vault.

16. JSJS4

JSJS4 Member

I use an empty plastic blade dispenser for now. I'll guess I'll find something else when I'm out of those.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  17. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Get a can of chicken broth. Stab it until there is a gap big enough for a DE blade. Pour out the broth. Rinse. You have your blade bank.

preidy, KcHighLife and Dark Vapor like this.
  18. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I use an old coin bank

Attached Files:

Carbide Mike, BigMark and Dark Vapor like this.
  19. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Thank you all for the great ideas!:)
    I have a recently emptied vitamin bottle with a screw on lid. I use them to store screws and such.
    I don't know why I didn't think of it before. It works perfectly for used blades also.

BamaT likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A Frog blade bank....seems rather cruel.
    [​IMG]

Herm2502 and Dark Vapor like this.