Gillette SS?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Thatdonkey, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

During a trip to a local antique store today I picked up this razor for $20. If my research is correct I believe it's a Gillette Super Speed. I'm sure someone who is a bit more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty green in the world of DE and SR shaving and was wondering if that was a fair price for such a razor? Seems to be in decent condition from what i can tell. The TTO mechanism is pretty smooth. Can't wait to get it cleaned up and put razor to beard. My wife says that my new found obsession with razors in rivaling that of my tattoos.

I probably should've started this post in the following manner: "Hi, my name is Dustin and I am suffering from razor acquisition disorder." :rofl:

1388974530136.jpg

BigT, Tdmsu and Daytonkb like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is a Gillette Super Speed and you can look on the back for the date coding and find out when it was made using this chart.

http://www.renaldo.us/grbd.php

The letter is for the year and the number is for the quarter.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  3. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

I appreciate the link, if I'm reading it properly looks like it was made in 61'. Interesting to know, cool knowing I'm shaving with a "slice" of history.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For $20. You done good! You'll have many more years with your SS.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  5. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

The suffering will soon become enjoyment.

BTW, a (late) welcome to TSD.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  6. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I started with a classic Super Speed just like that. It's a great shaver.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  7. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Good to know I found a good deal then....My plan for cleaning/sterilizing the razor was to do a rub down with alcohol and toothbrush, and a bath in boiling water. Or does anyone know of a better application to get it into proper condition.

Thanks for the welcome, and it's only been a short time and loving every minute of it!

8. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush works well.

9. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Sounds good and i got some of that laying around the house.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, that's all I use.
    Scrubbing Bubbles:
    - Eats soap scum
    - Disinfects
    - Leaves the razor nice and shiny

WARNING: BOILING GOLD PLATED RAZORS WILL REMOVE THE GOLD PLATING.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats on the nice Super Speed Flare Tip!

+1 for the Scrubbing Bubbles!

Now you need a Red Tip and Blue Tip to go with it...........:happy069:

Thatdonkey likes this.
  12. Nolan1982

Nolan1982 Member

I love my Super Speed. I only wish it was a little heavier as i'd rather not use pressure and let the blade do the cutting. For some reason, I find myself pushing a bit with the SS where my merkur futur, merkur classic and Mr C seem to just let the blade do ALL of the work

13. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

It's funny you mention the red and blue tip while trying to figure out what this razor was I ran into the red and blue tip on the web and my OCD started kicking in. I told my wife I think I really need to get these two razors for a nice complete set..... All I got was a copious amount of eye rolls and hand waves. She don't understand....lol

14. swarden43

And don't forget the Black Tip. :signs136:

Click here ---> *click* for several more links about the Gillette SS.

15. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Lol, at this rate my wife will have lawyers on the phone in no time. You're going to get me in trouble...

16. swarden43

Hey, it's what we do. :p

Thatdonkey likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes it is. If you are looking to be talked out of your AD's, you have come to the wrong place.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  18. Altair

Altair New Member

That's a Flare-tip Super Speed. I believe it's in between the Blue-tip and Red-tip as far as aggressiveness.

Not positive though, never really liked the SS. They were always too mild for me.

Thatdonkey likes this.
  19. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

"My wife says that my new found obsession with razors in rivaling that of my tattoos." At least the razors can be disposed of easily should it turn out you do not like it.:signs131:

Seriously, Gillette vintage razors are a nicely engineered piece of history. I have a Fatboy, Super Speed adjustable (slim and Black super), a birth year 1947 Super Speed, and a 1958 Cavalcade of Sports TV Super Speed. I tried the Merker, EJ, Muhle, and Parker razors but they did not work for me. I believe you will be most pleased with this vintage razor.

Thatdonkey and Bobcat like this.
  20. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

So far I've been very pleased and there is something intriguing about shaving with a piece of history...