Razor Replating Services

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Neolithium, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Since quite a few people are like me and enjoy having a vintage razor that is as shiny as it was 50+ years ago I thought I would start compiling a list of places which do razor replating. This does NOT include some like AboveTheTie who actually just use RazorEmporium and basically resell their services. If you have additional ones please feel free to PM me and I will add them to the list.

None of these are paid vendors, and this is not an endorsement by myself or any person affiliated with The Shave Den moderation staff. It is only a list for members to locate companies which offer services; we encourage you to seek out reviews and testimonials on your own so that you can have an informed decision on whom to send your vintage razor.

- Krona Kruiser Razors - Some members here have vouched for their work and customer service.
    *No longer replating as of April 2014, unknown if its temporary or permanent.*

- Reliable Electroplating - Nothing but excellent reviews. The website doesn't list razor services, please call Dale at 508-222-0620 for quotes and information.

- Restored Razors - Based out of the UK. Nothing but glowing reviews, and excellent customer service.

- Razor Emporium - Formerly had reviews which were either love/hate. The company now has dedicated employees and the turnaround is in progress (As of Jan 2014). Current reviews are excellent and it seems like they may deserve a second chance.

- WestCoast Razors - Excellent work, questionable wait times for some customers. Some have waited months trying to get a razor back, others like myself have had no issues.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    brit, PLANofMAN, Tdmsu and 5 others like this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    JBSharp and Bobcat like this.
  3. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

When contacting Reliable Electroplating Phone: 508-222-0620 DON'T EMAIL!!!! Call and ask for Dale! Picture of their work on my '59 Fatboy in Rhodium. I painted the numbers and red spring.
    They do nice work.

'59 Fatboy after Rhodium plating 06.jpg

brit, ninjack and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Neolithium

Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Has anyone used Razor Emporium that can testify to there work?

preidy likes this.
  6. I sent two of mine in to Razor Emporium I'm waiting to get them back. I'll show youz when they arrive :)

7. Neolithium

Please post a review on the service you get! They were terrible this time last year however they've vowed to turn over a new leaf and recent ratings seem to be successful on their part.

8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

You're nice to give these guys a second chance. Most would just go with someone else...

9. I did not see any of the negative reviews posts about them :-0 lol what was bad the plating?

Thanks

10. Neolithium

Plating questionable at times, loss of razors, extended time to completion of the work requested, etc. However since their revamp service has been.....revamped, I haven't seen any complains and am interested to see what they've done with their business.

11. I'm a lil' nervous now lol

I just seen them online and gave them a go to fix up great granddads razors. Hope all goes well......

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

When/If I send out some razors for replating I will be using Restoredrazors.com.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have two Gillette LC New heads nickel plated by them and no complaints at all. I have been using one of them as a primary razor for a year plus and it has held up well.

Orgoglio italianO likes this.
  14. That's good to hear :)

Thnx for your input my friend

15. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

In my opinion if you are going to go with Nickel Plating Krona Kruiser is by far your best, most economical bet. I should say best value because the workmanship is phenomenal and so is the price. I cannot say enough about the razors he has done for me.However he just does work in nickel.
    Now if your are going to go any other route, reliable is fantastic , however be warned, I have spoken with Dale numerous times. This is not a primary business of theirs nor is it a business they are looking to expand upon. They do it strictly as fill in work between jobs - therefore turn around can get rather long. That being said they do gold, nickel and rhodium and do fantastic work. You also pay the top of the line pricing. Not saying it is out of line, but it is top of the line.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've also heard overly negative comments about Razor Emporium ranging from customer service, business ethics to services rendered. I must admit that, to me, with other options available with much better feedback I don't see myself using them but that doesn't mean they can't still be excellent :)

17. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I am looking for someone that can do gold as well. I checked out Kronoa Kruiser and they seem to only do nickel.

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I will have to look into these folks. Thanks for the suggestions.

19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I had a slim adjustable plated in Rhodium by Razor Emporium about 4 months ago. They did a very good job.

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

How much does replating usually run?