World's Oldest Newbie!?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Rufus T., May 8, 2015.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Greetings all,

Nearly 60 YO and anticipating my first DE shave! (a squandered life, I know.)

A child of the 60s who left home at 18 with a gift from dear ol' dad - an electric razor! Probably payback for all the times as a kid that I would sneak into his shave den and play with his Gillette - loved the clicking sound when I'd turn the 'number wheel!'

Read an article lately of the move (for some) back to pre-cartridge razors. So after forty-some years of a mix of electric shaves and all the permutations of cartridges (how many more blades can they fit on those things?) that now pivot in near 360 circles, vibrate your whiskers and at some point will wax and trim your mustache at the same time....I've decided that perhaps this old dog might still learn something new.

Been checking all the different products and discussion boards and have found this to be one of the best boards, at least for me...so thanks to all who have built this site and contribute so much to keep it going.

Looking forward to learning what I can from all of you and my *first* real shave.

Best,
    RT

Seabs, GDCarrington, Cap7597 and 8 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Greetings RT! Welcome to the Shave Den.

Rufus T. likes this.
  3. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

Rufus T. likes this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I came back late in life, as well. Geezers do great with DEs, and not so well on the straight edge. I wish I had come back sooner and had a few years with a straight edge. But with all the variables we have with DEs, it's just great. Have fun.

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

RT, welcome to The Shave Den and get ready for some fun!

Rufus T. likes this.
  6. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Glad to have you aboard.

Rufus T. likes this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! Not that far from 60 and I'm having a blast. Working with DE's, Artist Club and soon Kamisori's. Glad you found us. I agree...this is the best board around!Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Rufus T. likes this.
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Yes! Welcome to the Den! There are a lot of well versed folks here that can help you on your way. Check out the help files and videos. And sign up for the giveaways. Also check out the Shave Of The Day thread for some great photos and product advice. Enjoy the ride.:eatdrink047:

Rufus T. likes this.
  9. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den. It's a great board full of thoughtful intelligent gentlemen who share a hobby most outside the community would consider a chore. I am sure you will come to enjoy it as much as we do.

Where to start...
    Razor, blade sample packs, brush, soap and maybe a bowl.
    We are happy to help!

Rufus T. likes this.
  10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks Mike, just signed up at Gary's Sample Shop for the Vintage Razor Package with all the items you just suggested. Found Gary's business referenced here on the discussion board. That's when I knew I needed to join the Den!
    Thanks,
    RT

mikewood likes this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hello and welcome =) Im glad you found us one of the best boards. I hope you enjoy your stay. =) It would be interesting to know what you're gonna start with and remember be patient you may not get the best shave ever the first few shaves, if you are not a natural that is haha.But it sounds like you have started off right

Rufus T. and Slow Joe like this.
  12. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to the den. I hope you enjoy DE shaving.

Rufus T. likes this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome RT! I started back to DE shaving at age 50, so I know it can be done.

Rufus T. likes this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Rufus T. likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "RT"

It's great that you've joined us. After around 40 miserable years of regular cartridge use, I finally saw the light about 6 years ago and took up "traditional" shaving with a single edge blade and I've never looked back!! :) I think you'll find that you've made the correct move. :happy088:

Rufus T. likes this.
  16. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Man dad had some cool razors.

Welcome to the Den and a better shaving experience.

Rufus T. likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

Rufus T. likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Nice try Rufus. I was 64 when I joined TSD.
    Glad that you landed here at TSD, better late than never. It is a great community of shavers.
    Join us on The Shave of the Day thread. It is fun, and you will see all kinds of products.
    And please Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.

Rufus T. likes this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!

Rufus T. likes this.
  20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When saw e OP I thought you may be an ole fart but 60 is just a youngen. I started wet shaving over 60years ago but di not pick up SR until age 71. A few months ago I got a friend started at the age of 82

178-bplatoon and Rufus T. like this.