No Variation November - A TSD Challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 23, 2015.

?

Can you stick to one kit for 30 Days?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2015.
  1. Yes! I can do anything for a month!

28.9%
  2. No. I like variety too much.

35.6%
  3. Hah!! I see right through this, Samurai is promoting 30 Day Rules!!

20.0%
  4. I am just here for the cookies.

15.6%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

28 November 2015

Day 27 - No Variation November!

image.jpeg

Utopia 3-piece
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Proraso Barbe Dure
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    TSD 2x Iced Barber Shoppe AS

Have a super Sunday!

Two more to go!!!
    :)

Troy M, Rufus T., Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I varied today. I haven't shaved yet

Rufus T., Troy M, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 29

Feather Artist Club SS
    Feather Super Professional (2)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and CC Bay Rum

Goals
    Further develop my two-pass shave technique by practicing the basics
    Break in and get more experience with the Semogue 830
    Get more experience with MdC

Have a great Sunday!

SOTD_112915.jpg

Troy M, Rufus T., Hodge and 2 others like this.
  4. Bosoxfan

Bosoxfan Active Member

After a month of use how do you like the 830? Do you like other boar brushes better that are in a similar price range?

wristwatchb and Rufus T. like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Sunday's
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip
    Gillette Super Adjustable
    Astra Super Platinum
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva AS
    The Tabac Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip brush. Two passes with my Gillette Super Adjustable razor and an Astra Super Platinum blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Twenty-nineth shave of No Variation NoVember.
    One more and done.
    [​IMG]

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Day 29 NoV
    [​IMG]

As Jim has posted above....one more and done.

7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

NoVember 29, 2015 Shave Den Sunday

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448231663.707291.jpg

Hot Shower
    Soap: TSD Unscented
    Brush: Omega 31025 Scarlatti Boar
    Razor: Mongoose B3
    Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (4)
    TSD Witch Hazel
    TSD Aftershave Milk
    TSD Yin Yang

2-day growth, 3-pass shave.

Switched up my 30-day Rule just a bit to accommodate my usual Shave Den Sunday - with their fine brands of soap and aftershave products. Switched on a little Dave Brubeck for a real smooth Mongoose shave. Best of the month!

Cheers!
    RT

wristwatchb, Troy M, Bosoxfan and 2 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I remember Take Five. A really cool piece in 5/4 time.

wristwatchb and Rufus T. like this.
  9. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Quite right Jim.

I'm in total awe of the creative genius of people like Brubeck. Musicians must have another whole section of their brain wired up differently than most of us mere mortals. I'd imagine @Bird Lives would agree?!!

Though having seen some of your unique brush creations Jim, I'd say you have a bunch of brain cells cooking along as well.

:eatdrink047: To the creative ones amongst us! :happy096:

10. mrchick

Yesterday was the first day that I did not shave since last Christmas so I woke up this morning with some substantial whiskers. I lathered up and went to work with my Feather AC SS and a Feather Professional blade. I was blown away with how this thing just wiped my face clean. I had a one pass CCS + with some areas DFS. All it took was a second cleanup pass to get a DFS. I really am starting to like this razor and I intend to keep it in the rotation.
    Thank you to all of up you that encouraged and helped me this month!
    SOTD
    TOBS Grapefruit
    Rubberset 400
    Feather AC SS
    Feather Professional (7)
    Witch Hazel
    Chrome Azzaro Legend cologne

On a side note. I just realized how much these 30 day threads did for my participation in this forum and how much it helped my technique. I have now done five monthly focuses and have increased the quality of my shaves tenfold. I'm starting to think I could shave with a rusty can lid. Just have to keep the correct angle and pressure
    I just realized that I now have 2000 posts, much to my wife's dismay. I don't hardly post elsewhere anymore because you guys and gals are the most helpful friendly group up there. Thank you!
    If you haven't done a focus yet, join us for December.

Rufus T., Hodge, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I like the Semogue 830 quite a lot. It had soft tips and good backbone right out of the box. After a month of use, I think it releases lather better. After the initial load, I still have to load more soap from the puck in order to finish a two-pass plus touch-up shave.

As far as boar brushes go, I can only compare it to an old Ever-Ready that I have (super scritchy, so no comparison) and an Omega Pro 98 (good backbone but the tips are less soft than the 830). All things considered, I rate the Omega Pro 98 and the Semogue 830 about the same in terms of performance. I like them both, but I like my badger hair brushes best of all.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Bosoxfan, Rufus T., Hodge and 3 others like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Planned Day 30 NoV
    [​IMG]
    This will be it for NoV. I'm glad and melancholy at the same time. The items I chose for the month all performed flawlessly and consistantly. I did get to learn a lot about the Type F razor and how well it can provide a DFS if I concentrate on technique. I was surprised how much it took to break in this brush and am not convinced it is all the way there yet. I forced myself to use a boar brush as I prefer a badger and that hasn't changed. I don't see this brush making my regular rotation. The MdC shaving soap had nothing to prove and was chosen really to see how it would last, using it every day. Ive included the picture from the first day of the challenge to show the usage of the Soap.
    Day 1 (For comparison)
    [​IMG]

Bosoxfan, Troy M, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

There is a study going on at John Hopkins about this as we speak....They are doing MRIs of Jazz Musicians brains when they play. They had to invent an electric keyboard that would work in an MRI and head phones that would work in an MRI....
    So far they have found out that when improvising Jazz Musicians do use a different part of their brain than for anything else.....But the Big thing they discovered was that.....There's a section of our brains that we use to keep from "screwing up"....and when Jazz musicians improvise they turn that part of their brains off....more so than anyone ever does....like shuting it down completely....It's almost dangerous....Ha ha...

So I'm gonna get this in writting from John Hopkins.....I now have a Scientific Reason and Licence to "Screw-Up"......:happy108:.....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Monday's

[​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip
    Gillette Super Adjustable
    Astra Super Platinum
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Aqua Velva AS​

The Tabac Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #27 Silver Tip brush. Two passes with my Gillette Super Adjustable razor and an Astra Super Platinum blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Aqua Velva after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed... A month with one soap, one brush, one razor, and one blade has come to a successful end. I chose well and had a blast with the Tabac and my new Super Adjustable, and my Jayaruh #27 did not disappoint.

Thirtieth and final shave of No Variation NoVember.
    [​IMG]

16. mrchick

The last daily shave with the Feather AC was a good one. Since that was the point of this focus, I would call it a success. I can't say I ever got a BBS this month, but I'm happy with consistent two pass DFS. This has been quite a learning experience and I am happy to finish the month with no scars or scabs. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I don't know that I could have finished the month without it. I actually grew to like this razor over the month and will keep it in my rotation.
    SOTD
    TOBS Grapefruit
    Rubberset 400
    Feather AC SS
    Feather Professional (7)
    Witch Hazel
    Old Spice AS
    Enjoy your week!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448897535.326069.jpg

17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Whoa! A musician and a medical researcher!!!
    You're making my head spin Mr B!!! :whacky011:

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

November 30, 2015

SOTD - No Variation NoVember
    This month is perfect for me to learn skills with new-to-me equipment.

60 yo newbie’s intro to traditional shaving. (Week 29 AC*)

Razor: Mongoose B3
    Blades: Feather Artist Club Professional (5)
    Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna
    Brush: Omega 31025 Scarlatti Boar
    AS: Changes at will. Today: Myrsol Plastic Shave

11-30-15.JPG

My mid-morning shave yesterday (Sunday) was so close that I decided that I would do a one-pass ATG shave this morning. Face-lather.

This was the last day of my month-long intro to the Mongoose - my first use of a non-vintage razor. Between a design totally different than what I was used to and the sharpest most unforgiving blade I’ve ever used - this month challenged and ultimately further developed my skills.

Simply, this combo is capable of incredibly close shaves that requires sharp focus at all times (for me). Whereas I can get away with a mental lapse now and then with other razors without needing a transfusion!

It will definitely find a place in my rotation, though with so many razors yet to try - getting to a set rotation may take awhile!

Why oh why did I wait sooooo long to dump my carts! :angry032:

Cheers!
    RT

*AC = After Carts

Hodge, wristwatchb, Bosoxfan and 2 others like this.
  19. Bosoxfan

Bosoxfan Active Member

Thanks for the feedback on the brush. Thinking it might be my first boar brush.

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. Bosoxfan

Bosoxfan Active Member

What a great month of NOvember. Really got to know the Progress which was new to me mid October. Experimented with the lower settings but ended at setting 5 - getting nice comfortable shaves with the Astra SP. Who knows maybe I'll take it back down a few settings and see how it goes with GSBs. I think Santa is bringing me a Mergress. Should be fun comparing the two razors.
    Great hanging out with you fine gentlemen for the month. Thanks for sharing your experiences with your gear. Learned a lot from you.

wristwatchb, mrchick and Hodge like this.