Making Homemade Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by HolyRollah, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tuxxdk likes this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Patience - I have none, Masters!

Omelmad likes this.
  3. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Just "intensity!" I made mine in 5 weeks; & am satisfied...:happy005:

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Soooooo.... Did you filter it Already? Haha

tuxxdk likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

Thinking about it. Just mashing around the remaining hard bits with a spoon I got something on my hand by accident... woah... smells amazing!!

I might do it now.. or not... maybe... will I? Argh!

Omelmad and twhite like this.
  6. Omelmad

Hahaha dooo it! I waited 5 weeks

twhite likes this.
  7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

closest I cam to something like this was adding menthol and lemongrass EO to witch hazel. I'll have to try an alcohol splash sometime. I'm thinking citrus and mint with a touch of rosemary.

Omelmad and tuxxdk like this.
  8. tuxxdk

I just did!! Couldnt/wouldnt wait anylonger.

Runs very slow through the filter at the moment.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

@HolyRollah I know what you mean now with the lime not "coming through". I have a very faint scent of the lime zest in my batch. I was afraid it was too much when I started it.

I have a few corrections for the next batch, but man this is one heluva splash!

Omelmad likes this.
  10. okiwen

okiwen Member

This kinda answers the question I came to search for. Started my batch Oct. 26th, I guess I have about two wek more. Well, ok. If I have to...I guess I will wait.

11. Omelmad

What are you changing? =)

12. tuxxdk

Well, for starters I used @HolyRollah and @Omelmad recipe. I combined the two and got the lime from the one and the clove from the other.

What I will change, I think, is this:

• Less WH, more vodka. To increase the alcohol % and lower the usage of WH that is very expensive here.
    • Less glycerin and Aloe vera. There is enough as it is now, so less should work just as fine. Plus make the splash more clear visually.
    • More lime-zest. I'd like a tad more whiff of lime.
    • More ginger root. To get a tad more citrus whiff.
    • Perhaps exchange the vodka for some pure spirit 96%, neutral fragrance. To dissolve the oils 100%.

I think the above 5 alterations will give the splash that last bit to make it "perfect". I need to try at least. Also, now I have 200ml of 1st version so the waiting for the next one will not be so hard for me. I'm planning to get lime and ginger root today and start a new batch one of the following days. Being home on paternal leave gives me some spare time to play with this :)

I used it for today’s shave.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Jim99 and Omelmad like this.
  13. tuxxdk

So, this is my concoction this time on the second batch. I haven't added aloe vera, glycerin or vitamin E yet. They'll go in when I have filtered it in due time.

I have doubled the ginger roots and lime zest to give it a bit more fresh lime and citrus-scent/whiff, I have reduced aloe vera, glycerin and vitamin E to 1/3 of the original amount. I have reduced the WH with 75ml and added those to the rum and vodka, of which I have evened out to equal ratio.

I'm all out of regular vodka now, so the next batch will be with Krakus Spirytus 96% vodka instead :D

This mixture is a blend of @HolyRollah and @Omelmad mixtures and then I have adjusted here and there to a personal touch. Looking forward to see the clearness of the liquid now that the oils (glycerin, aloe vera and vitamin E) are much lower and I have more alcohol in it as well. It should not come out of solution as before. Time will tell.
    • 190 ml dark rum
    • 100 ml distilled pure Witch Hazel
    • 190 ml pure vodka
    • 2 cinnamon sticks
    • 4 limes, use zest equal to ~4 tbsp.
    • 2 tbsp chopped ginger roots
    • 15 allspice berries
    • 40 Tellicherry black peppercorns
    • 28 drops Bay EO
    • 4 drops Clove EO
    • 12 drops Rosemary EO
    • 5ml / 1 tsp. aloe vera gel
    • 5ml / 1 tsp. pure glycerin
    • 5ml / 1 tsp. Vitamin E

Jim99, twhite, Omelmad and 1 other person like this.
  14. Omelmad

It sounds like it Would be hell of a bay rum =D I hope you get the lime scent you want. I dont smell mine very much, but i guess its there but faint. I Didnt want the lime to be overpowering so Im good as it is.

I dont want to spend more money on it

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

I must say I've been bitten by this homemade stuff. I stood last evening and made the batch having great fun. I don't want too much lime either.

I'll try a small sample with vanilla and see how it comes together with the bay rum.

twhite and Omelmad like this.
  16. Omelmad

Ohh.. Vanilla =P I think if you make it faint it would be there but not take over. But vanilla EO tends to be very potent

tuxxdk and twhite like this.
  17. okiwen

okiwen Member

Just decanted after 6 weeks. Will bottle tomorrow. I do not have the orifice reducer for a 4 oz Boston bottle. Any suggestions? Definitely took on a flavor of its own the last few weeks. Can't wait to try it. Will end up being Christmas gifts, but I will be starting my next batch right away.

tuxxdk likes this.
  18. tuxxdk

Will use vanilla-sticks. Don't have any EO's.

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Omelmad

smart smart.. does that work? can you use those without making it sticky ? =P

tuxxdk likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

I have no earthly idea :D