What is a good pipe in the $60-$80 range

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by jpb437, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I am thinking of taking up pipe smoking. I love cigars but they are expensive and sometimes I want to have a quick smoke and move on. I also like the wide range of pipe tobaccos available and may just want to sit and relax with a bowl. I am going to buy a MO Meerschaum for sure but I would like to pick up a quality briar pipe as well. Any suggestions in the $60-$80 USD range?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I can't give you a specific suggestion except to tell you what I did. Disclaimer: I don't smoke a pipe very often (I prefer cigars and even that not often), but I was "into them" for a good while and still have a few sitting around. I've bought only one or two specific types which I saw and just "had to" have, one of which being a church warden style. The others have all been "grab bag" pipes; pay some reasonable fee and get 2 or 3 pipes at random selection from the vendor. I've had no cause to complain. I figured if I ever took it up for good, then I could buy myself something extra nice when I saw it.

As for tobaccos.... whoo boy... and you thought your shaving gear selections where huge. I started out with some store stuff than my grandfather smoked, moved to the aromatics, and now generally prefer the ones that contain a bit of cigar leaf.

3. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Has anybody tried the MO Meerschaum hardwood pipe. They are super cheap, but I kind of want to try one.

4. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

$60 to $80 gives you a lot of choices..You could go with a nice Savinelli in that price range. I personally really want a Savinelli Trevi 320KS, a very nice manly looking pipe. I have read nothing but good reviews on that model. It also looks like it would feel simpler to holding a fat cigar.

I am a newbie piper myself. @KcHighLife would be the one to help you with more info than I.

mikewood and KcHighLife like this.
  5. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Ah yes, it can seem a little overwhelming when first thinking of getting a start. I'd be glad to throw in my 2 cents worth.
    Pipe smoking can be a little on the expensive side as well...if you find out you like it that is. PAD and TAD (pipe, tobacco acquisition disorder) are just as real as RAD!
    I usually recommend to someone that is new to go as cheap as you can to start out with to see if you'll even enjoy it like you think you will. So, stating with the hardwood pipe you asked about would be a perfect start. They are really good smokers at a cheap price. If you find that you like it after a little while with it, then pick up a different pipe.
    Check out this thread for someone else asking the exact thing;
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/your-pipe-of-the-day.34832/page-3

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Good briar pipes can be had in the $60 - $80 range. If you could step up to as high as $100, that will really open up your choices, and to a point the higher you go, usually the better smoking the pipe, but that stops around $150 to maybe $200. Then you're buying looks, style, etc. the sweet spot IMHO is $80 to $130.

In the price range you mentioned, here are some options:

http://www.thebriary.com/Nording-44_p_885.html

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/76225/savinelli-unfinished-vulcanite/

The Savinelli unfinished pipes are a good bargain, IMHO. I don't own one, but Savinelli is a reputable pipe, and the unfinished pipe will turn darker over time, from the oils in your hand and from being smoked. I've seen some unfinished Nordings that after being smoked for a year or two had a gorgeous color and natural sheen. I'm thinking of jumping on one of these Savenellis.

If you can consider going up to the $100 range, Neerup pipes are absolutely fantastic pipes for the money. Look at Pipes and Cigars or The Briary and check them out.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm looking at trying a pipe also. Any recommendations on a whether a newbie should start with a filtered or unfiltered pipe?

Steinbeckian likes this.
  8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Give your local shop and a basket pipe a try. They get a bad rap but most are good enough for the task. Ebay is also great for an old pipe. Just find one from any of the big names that looks solid and isn't cracked. An abused pipe is pretty easy to spot.

The MM is a great smoking pipe. There is no reason not to spend more except maybe looks.

Steinbeckian likes this.
  9. Steinbeckian

Steinbeckian Active Member

I tend to agree with Mike. Quite frankly, Missouri Meerschaum makes a great smoking pipe, and you will probably enjoy the experience more than you might with an "entry-level" briar. I would first pick up a couple tins/samples if available and a cob or two. I would start with at least one English, a straight Va, and an aromatic if you're so inclined. You'll learn quickly whether the pipe might be for you, and do so for a fraction of the price of a worthwhile starter briar.

That said, if you do move forward into a briar, there are some companies that make fine smokers at reasonable price points: Sebastian Beo, Neerup, and Stanwell to name but a few. Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions, etc. I love talking pipes.

Quick Edit: I realized I didn't really answer your question (Sorry!!). Honestly filters are a matter of preference. Filter pipes are still very popular in Europe, but not as much in the U.S. Important to note: it's not like a cigarette-- the filter in a pipe is typically designed to absorb moisture (which can easily be handled by way of a pipe cleaner while smoking. Moreover, they have the unfortunate side effect of altering the tobacco taste (even if only slightly).

As a bonus, MM cons come in both varieties: I tend to buy the filtered variety and simply remove it. Wide open draw and for your purposes you will be able to try both ways.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  10. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above. All solid advice.

11. Erik Redd

Thanks.
    I don't really have any any "local shops" that compare with what I've seen on the internet. The price in the local shops seems to be 2-3x the internet pricing. I know they need the markup to cover expenses, but I don't want it to come out of my pocket. I'm a hypocrite in that I complain about moving moving my job overseas but don't want to pay to support local shops.

Would a starter set like this be a good deal?
    http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/78198/nyc-fight-night-pipe-kit/#p-145135

12. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Visit the Estate Pipes area on Smokingpipes.com . Prices for estates run about half to 2/3 of new. Just bought an estate Savinelli 305 in the Roma line for $45.00 in 4.9 out of 5 condition. Beautiful rusticated pipe with smooth bowl rim! Very good pipe tobacco prices on tins! Good luck and have fun. RR

hippiebrian and Tattoobob like this.
  13. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

By the way- a few things on pipe tobaccos...
    Aromatics do not taste as nice as they smell. Some people (me) are very sensitive to tongue bite from Virginias and many aromatics. MacBaren aromatics and Virginias have reputations for bite. Few English, Balkan and Oriental blends bite, but can be a bit stronger. Pipe tobaccos are not nearly as strong as Ligero laden cigars. Pipe tobaccos come in a much wider array of identifiable flavors than cigars. Personally, I love both! Just note that they are not apples-apples. Plenty of room for both. Best thing is that nice pipes are gorgeous!

Tattoobob and BamaT like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

As far as a pipe goes, I would recommend unfiltered in a briar. The Missouri Meerschaum cobs are mostly filtered, although you can easily remove the filter if desired.

I have several cobs, but really much prefer my briars. It is very possible to get a nice smoking briar in the price range you mentioned. If you step up a bit in price to $100 to $150, you will almost always get a nice pipe; above that and you are mostly paying for aesthetics. I would however, agree that before you know if the pipe is for you to go the less expensive route. Since you don't have a good local shop I would suggest looking at Pipesandcigars.com. Under pipes, you can shop by brand or price range. Savinelli is a decent brand that will usually have some models around $50 to $60. Neerup pipes are very nice, and there are a few models in that price range. Nording is another excellent brand with pipes that range from $60 or so up to $600 or more.

JWR0201 is right about aromatics, they usually don't taste as good as they smell, especially in the second half of the bowl. There are so many different blends, you may try several before finding one you really like. I started out many years ago with aromatics like most people, then switched to Latakia blends before eventually settling on Virginia blends as my preference.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Having been a pipe smoker in the past...reading this thread piqued my interest anew. I am currently on the road in Syracuse, NY. After a leisurely lunch on Armory Square at a kaiten-sushi place, Sakana-Ya, a local tobacconist's shop across the street caught my eye. I decided to go in to Mallard Tobacconist and see if I could build a good kit for $60-90...here's what I did:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

The score:

1 bent stem Czech Briar basket pipe $33.95
    1 ounce Golden Mallard Blend. $6.40
    1 bundle soft pipe cleaners. $1.25
    1 bundle coarse pipe cleaners $1.25
    2 humidifier buttons $3.00
    1 pocket pipe tool $9.95
    1 leather pocket case (1/2 price) $14.95

Grand total for kit before tax $70.75

I also purchased a tin of Presbyterian Mixture because it was discounted as well. This shop was very old and rustic and had lots of pipes on display. The pipe basket had tons of good pipes for $16-50. A couple of walls of pipes, some estate pipes and a full service tobaccoaccessory counter are featured prominently near the entrance. The counter features true tobacconist services, choose a blend of let them create for you! The shop looks and smells like a tobacco shop should! A walk in humidor and reading area occupies the back half of the store. I sat at my father-in-law's house and started to break in the pipe...so far it seems to be a nice smoking pipe, gentle on the tongue when using the Golden Mallard tobacco. Golden Mallard is the signature house blend in that shop, and a fave in the Syracuse area. It is a mostly Virginia blend, mild cool and sweet, with the heady flavor of Virginia Tobacco the prominent feature, some Latakia and cavendish to spice it up, not super aromatic...but a great way to start in this pipe on a snowy central NY afternoon. Presbyterian Mixture should be a mass market version of this type of blend, and I will open it when back home!

Smoke em if you got em!

Erik Redd, jwr0201 and Tattoobob like this.
  16. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Welcome to sunny CNY! Did you bring your thermals?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks! I live in Denver CO, so I know how to do winter. :happy088: Snowing up in Fulton/Oswego...though much warmer than the start of the weekend!

trey06dmd likes this.
  18. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

NICE! That is a great selection! If you'd like to try some different samples, let me know.
    RR

19. Erik Redd

Nice

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I smoked a pipe for several years. Can't say they were ever a "quick smoke and move on" as you put it.

Bama Samurai likes this.