САЙВЕР RAZORs from Russia

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Dec 9, 2017.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

don't forget to remove the middle /splitter plate and shave with only 1 blade and report how it does, it should be little bit more aggressive than the 2 blades set up.

AGHisBBS, Jayaruh and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's САЙВЕР Razor Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Proraso
    Jayaruh #240
    САЙВЕР Razor
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Speick

Today, I shaved with the САЙВЕР Razor for the first time. Here is what happened. I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Proraso Shave Cream face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #240 synthetic brush. I had carefully loaded two GSB blades in the razor. One I popped in half, and the other went in whole. I made sure the half blades were aligned properly. After carefully examining the blades in respect to the head and the safety bar, I felt that this would not be an aggressive shave at all. I did two passes with the САЙВЕР Razor with two Gillette Silver Blue blades and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. I would say it was a mild but very efficient shave. I experienced no irritation. The Proraso soap rinses very easily from the razor, and I could see no problem with clogging. The blades are set much farther apart than in a Trac II. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Speick AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed... It was a great shave. In fact, I hardly needed a second pass, but I did one anyhow. I would say I am as near a BBS shave as I could want.

Tomorrow, I will break out the САЙВЕР Dual-comb Razor with the metal handle.

gorgo2, AlDm, jimjo1031 and 7 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Woo hoo! He's alive! I'm glad it went well and now I can't wait for tomorrow's report.

sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    No blood-letting. Always a good outcome. Thanks.

5. richgem

Well, you never know when it comes to Soviet technology. In Russia, razor shave you! (And then demands a huge bribe.)

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The Russian razor and Russian blades worked flawlessly together, comrade.

7. richgem

And that's just what the KGB told you to say, isn't it? Blink once for "yes" and twice for "no." :rofl:

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    blink.gif

9. CaseyS

CaseyS Active Member

Just because I like unusual things, I just picked up one of each. Thanks for the heads-up, Jayaruh!

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    My pleasure.
    zenablers2.gif

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

More like beats the bribe out of you.

Keithmax and richgem like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That is something of a rarity. Usually the Russian razor messes the entire process up. There are exceptions, such as the Consul which is actually a nice adjustable. This one apparently works as well, and it's a novel approach! Waiting for tomorrow's with the metal handle as I have one of those in the bullpen. For once I'm not the test shave dummy. I'm enjoying this one!

13. richgem

"Beats" is such an ugly word. At KGB-central, we prefer "strongly encourages."

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Most of the time when I see these on Ebay, in the description it says Russian Military Razor. Looks interesting though.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I saw that description when I ordered mine. A number of razors are listed as "Russian Military" on the bay. They also had a boar brush that was said to be for the military. In the case of the razors I tend to doubt this one is military issue. Too many parts, too complicated and really it's not a bad looking razor. Apparently works too. In the case of the brush - I believe it as I own one of those. It has the standard Soviet design flaws and lack of anything resembling quality.

16. richgem

Jim, maybe I missed it, but what was the turn around time between your order and arrival in North Cackalacky?
    (Yes, I'm thinking of ordering one or the other or both. /sigh)

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Ordered November 11 and delivered December 1.

[​IMG]
    Ordered November 12 and delivered December 5.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. richgem

That's not too bad! Maybe as a Christmas present to myself after the Christmas rush.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Well Enablers-R-Us, you got me, too. I have one coming as well.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    :happy097:
    enablers.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017