1000th Post - A Summary

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by qhsdoitall, May 21, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I thought for my 1000th post I'd give a summary of where I am at in my quest for shaving nirvana. I thought it was only fitting. Let me first say that being here has been very enjoyable and enlightening. You're all good people. Some of you have gone well beyond the call of duty with your generosity and advice. I hope to return the favors sometime.

I have been shaving for 35 years. Most of those years has been with the cartridge razor of the month. Sometimes, I will still bring out the Sensor if I am in a hurry. My wife got me started by gifting me with a Merkur Futur DE Razor after I expressed interest in wet shaving. I have AD (Acquisition Disorder). I am a confirmed DEAD person. (Double Edged Acquisition Disorder). I started out like many others. Proraso everything from Target and quickly moved into other products. Now, I have a plethora of razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, pre, post, aftershaves, balms and colognes. I have tried numerous techniques for shave preparation, lathering and beard reduction. With trial and error and everyone's wonderful help and advice, I have come very close to achieving my goals. I know that I am far from done though. There is so much more to learn and new products to try. I have recently started playing with straight razor (str8) shaving. I have a couple of razors and a strop. Again, with everyones help, I'm sure I will get the hang of and enjoy using a str8.

For me, it's not so much as reaching the goal but the journey and it's been a wonderful journey so far. Yes, there have been a few cuts, scrapes and just out and out bad shaves but, you sometimes have to do something wrong to help you learn what to do right. Angle of the blade, no pressure, slow beard reduction and knowing beard growth patterns are everything. The equipment and products become secondary. Use whatever you want for whatever reason. If it works for you, then great. We're all trying to reach BBS with no irritation or close to it.

I'm at the point where I can slow things down a bit. My future acquisitions will be upgrades to some equipment, pursuing str8 mastering and trying the occasional new shave product. I have so many great things now that I don't have to branch out much more. I do not collect. I use. So, if I buy something it gets used, evaluated, and either ends up being used a lot or put aside to maybe give someone else a chance to try. Shaving is not just about getting rid of whiskers. It's a sensory experience. The lather building process and smoothing it over your face with a luxurious brush, the slickness and scent of the cream or soap, the feel of the blade gliding across your skin and finally, your freshly shaved smooth face finished off with the right aftershave and cologne. It's not a chore anymore. It's something to look forward to. It's a slice of time put aside just for me where the rest of the world can just wait until I'm done.

Here's to a wonderful shave and a better one tomorrow. ::

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

congrats on the 1000th. Always enjoy your posts. Keep 'em coming.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Stop it I am getting misty

Thanks for tooting your own horn Rich! :D :D :D

4. xChris

xChris Member

Great post reflecting on your journey -- I enjoyed reading it!

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Rich: very nice! Keep up the great posts, man. I look forward to the next 1000.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thank You!

Well said buddy! Excellent post :happy088

And.........Congratulations ::

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Keep up the good work, Rich.

:happy096

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

An interesting read, Rich, reminds me very much of my own story! :happy096

Here's to the next 1000 posts :eatdrink047 :eatdrink004 ::

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations on 1000, Rich!

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're next!

11. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Rich, Great read on your shaving journey!
    Congrats on 1,000!!!!!!!
    Enjoy your shave!

12. Queen of Blades

Not so sure. :ashamed001

I've been quite busy lately. In case y'all hadn't noticed, I haven't been around as much as usual.

I'll be back in full force soon hopefully.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

I have been picking up you chatter slack, I should be up the 3 grand by now. :rofl

14. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Oh.
    I noticed MoM.....;)
    Hope everything is cool with youse guys.

15. Queen of Blades

I'm doing great. Just busy.

sorry for the high jack Rich. :ashamed001

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Oh, we noticed. :D

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

No problem, it's not about me. It's the journey taken with fellow wet shavers.

18. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I'm late to the party, but nevertheless:

Very poignant 1000th post, bro. Congrats!!

19. Capt America

Capt America Member

(scared whisper) I see DEAD people...