1912 Ever-Ready Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Bought this this weekend and I noticed when I got it home that it is a full 1/4" shorter than a Gem Jr.? Why?

Also there is some corrosion issues I need to deal with. Specifically it seems the original owner let it sit in something that ate through the plating in some spots. I managed to remove the accumulation with Neverdull but the raw metal is still there. Any thoughts on how to cover this to inhibit the rust.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

what color is the underlying metal? If its copper, it wont rust. I'm not sure what the razors were made out of in 1912 but I'm pretty sure most gillettes and the sort were made of copper or brass. If it is brassing, no worries. But also, no ways to cover it up.

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Would you happen to have a picture of the razor? Does the handle perhaps looks like this? I have a GEM 1912 with this shorter bar handle. It is about a 1/4 inch shorter and not as heavy as the ornate handle.

[​IMG]

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

DSCN0395.jpg

DSCN0394.jpg

DSCN0393.jpg

There is also a patch of removed plating from the handle. I would just like to arrest the rust.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. I guessed right. That is the handle. My assumption is that it a a travel version something like the Gillette Tuckaway. That is the exact same handle as my 1912 GEM.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Except mine came in a paper box. Which I have.

7. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

IMHO. One of the best shavers ever made.:D

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I'll let you know tomorrow. :)

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

handle sizes varied sometimes. guido is right about the travel thing; some came in travel sized cases.

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am currently formulating a design for a case. I will make one when I get the time.

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

if you cant make one, you should be able to get something cheap on ebay.

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Due to my hatred of ebay I killed my account.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i cant say i blame you one bit.