1912 King C Gillette C117599 Razor Kit

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 3, 2018.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

This is the 1979 Bill of Sale. I understand your curiosity however I have to respect the privacy of the person that I bought this set from. So, I can include it here but I have redacted private details. The description is interesting... "1 King Gillette Companion Set. also Commen?????? to King C. Gillette" which I can't fully make out? I hope this sheds some light.

Bill-of-Sale-Redacted.jpg

brit, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks like “commemoration” to me.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ditto.

brit likes this.
  4. GlennConti

AB7876D6-E4F9-4A78-9792-074ED65E30CB.jpeg

Saturday Evening Post 12-7-1912 Page 41.

This is my exact razor.

5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

1912 Christmas Ad.jpg

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Unless it has provenance that it was commissioned for a specific individual I don't think that is a $15,000 razor set if that set was sold at retail level.

brit likes this.
  7. GlennConti

FC Blank wasn't hand engraving copies of the same set. This is a featured example of what you might commission. Call it bait and switch advertising by Gillette. They weren't actually going to sell King Camp Gillette's one-off razor for $50.00. Please!

8. brit

brit in a box

i was waiting for this..:)

9. brit

brit in a box

you just took his train set..

BlueShaver likes this.
  10. GlennConti

Haha. No way.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i thought i saw storm clouds rolling in.;). it is a beautiful razor set .i would love to own a non engraved one .i don't even know where i would find one..very cool thread sir..thank you..

12. GlennConti

My friends, FC Blank was a prize winning master engraver. His work load was most likely backed up for months or years. He did work for Presidents, Kings you name it. Gillette had a team of engravers to do the mundane work of such and such doctor or businessman that wanted a $50.00 monogrammed engraved kit. Get with the program. Haha.

brit likes this.
  13. GlennConti

Here is what you get for $50.00...

Mundane-B.jpg

brit likes this.
  14. GlennConti

Cool beans... Page 457 of A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book by Robert K. Waits: Describes my individual razor... "Design is unique, includes KCG monogram, ... portrait, Boston factory, ... etc".

SafetyRazorCompendiumByRobertWaits-P457.jpg

brit likes this.
  15. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I have $50, I'll be over shortly.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Regardless of who did what I think the set is worth a little bit more than $50 in today's market.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:happy102:

18. GlennConti

Whatever. Some people can tell the difference between a simple monogram and a stock design and master engraving artwork. Some can't. I don't fault you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - right. The Panama - Pacific Exhibition winner is said to have had a retail in 1915 of $500. That is ten times what the standard simple monogrammed set went for ($50). $50 in 1912 is $1300 today. $500 in 1912 is $13,000 today. But, master engravers are much more rare to find today. Here are the drawing for the Panama Razor... (which is a world class engraving job):

GoldMedalWinner.jpg

You cant see the difference. I get it.

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You are right I can't. I am not an engraver or do monogramming. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice piece but this is more like buying a piece of art than a razor. I don't buy art for investment purposes or otherwise so I wouldn't know how to price it other than as a collectable razor.

20. GlennConti

Back in the day of Old type Gillette’s and New type razors only the most powerful or richest or most famous people could possess a razor engraved by Frederick Charles Blank. He was the real deal. As far as collectibility his razors are the pinnacle. Each is unique. And a work of art. So, now is when you ask me how does it shave?

RyX, BlueShaver and brit like this.