1st Injector Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnniegold, Sep 28, 2007.

1. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

I'm thinking tomorrow may be the day for my first injector shave. I just received my Schick E 3 injector the other day and my Schick blades arrived today from drugstore.com. My Ted Pella's won't be here until next week. Any advice?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Uhhh.....have fun? :cool:

3. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Advice...

Yes indeed. The technique for the Injector is different than that of a DE. So, just like when you began shaving with the DE, TAKE YOUR TIME. Even though it is a Single Edge (SE) blade it does shave differently than a DE. It's lighter and the head is angled so just watch your technique. I have one but rarely use it because I can't find a quality blade. I have about 8 packs of the German made Schick Injector blades (haven't tried the TP's yet) and I'm just not happy with them.

HOWEVER, as we all know it's a YMMV issue and you may love it. I hope so...

Good Luck and Enjoy your shave... :D

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Advice?

Just shave baby! ::

5. alfabet

alfabet New Member

I have been lurking for several months and have just registered. What a great site! I am 56 and just got back into DE shaving about six months ago although I have used a brush consistently for almost 40 years. I have been through many of the DE types of blades and razors and think I know what I like but now that I have shaving AD, I am still trying blades out

Here's the thing: I bought a couple of shick injectors on ebay, one is a basic fifties short model ( I really don't know the exact models at all) and the other is a more deluxe, fifties model with a gold head, much longer with a "hygro" (sp?) feature. I also bought 20 blades from the Pella site and pumped one into the short one yesterday. Without doubt the worst shave I have had in years. No cuts, nicks or otherwise but I could not get a close shave despite some five passes. I have the longer deluxe model also and have loaded one but think it also will be disappointing.

Any suggestions to improve the blade alternatives or is that just my experience and I will give up on them and make a gift to some lucky member?

Thanks.

Andy K

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den, Andy! I'd try a pharmacy or discount store and see if you can still find real Schick injector blades.

Glad to have you with us!

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes, Welcome to the Shave Den :eatdrink004

Besides CVS carrying some injector blades, nationwidecampus.com carries the schick:

http://www.nationwidecampus.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1754&cid=41

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome Andy!

As for advice for Injectors, be careful, go slow and have fun :D

9. Hi Johnnie,
    First, let me tell you injectors can give great shaves. Unfortunately, it may take a little while to find the right combo of razor and blade. Hehe, I started with one of those older types like yours, and found it to be way too aggressive. I didn't know it at the time, since I had no other injector to compare it to. Left me with razor burn and assorted small divots. That was the case after a full week of trying em out. However, some other members LOVE em, so go figure.
    I'd suggest maybe trying it for a week, since there IS a learning curve. Then, if that works fine, you're done looking. If your shave is still lacking in some ways, I'd recommend an injector from the 60's or 70's, like a 'J' 'L', or 'M' model. They gave me very close shaves with no irritation.
    Blades are very important and you won't get a great shave until you find the right one. Hehe, more often than not, that means trying a bunch of em.
    Andy? If that 'short' razor you referred to is an 'E' or "G' type, I'd switch to the hydromagic model to see the difference. Most of those models aren't known to be very aggressive, except for the '500' model. Once again, the problem MAY be the blades. Even using an injector to achieve a BBS shave takes some committment and motivation. Sorry, but it was certainly true for me. It IS worth the effort though, and very attainable in a short period of time. Finding the right combo is crucial though.
    Hope that helps in some way, guys.
    Martin

10. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Thanks for all the advice people. I used the E-3 three times with a Ted Pella blade and found it to be a enjoyable experience. So much so that I bought a Schick L-1. I think the injectors are going into the rotation. :D

11. fritz

fritz New Member

Andy, the Ted Pella blades are more than adequate. Unless there is some strange mechanical problem with the razor, it should shave just fine.
    It requires a slightly different technique than a DE. The flat part of the top should be almost parallel with your face. In other words, a much smaller angle between the blade and your face than with a DE. That said, you then need to go carefully and with little pressure. If it's not shaving well and yet you have no nicks, it's probable that you're using way too much angle.

The long-handled one (sounds like a J-3 model, click here and scroll down) will probably work a little better for you, until you gain experience.

Let me know if you want to get rid of them, please! Although if you give them a chance, they can be very nice shavers.

12. fritz

fritz New Member

Yes, 6 months ago I never had shaved with an injector, but now I have several and like them. If you want a really close shave, buy a pack of the Pro blades for the Feather AC straight. They are about 5 mm longer than an injector blade, but otherwise same width and thickness. You can use a Dremel cut-off tool, or just two pair of pliers to snap off the extra length (EYE protection!) and insert it. Incredibly sharp, smooth, and very long-lasting.

13. alfabet

alfabet New Member

Thanks for all the good advice and responses. It does appear that the model I was referring to was a J-3. I will try again tomorrow with more attention to the angle of the blade and see what "shakes out"

Andy

14. alfabet

alfabet New Member

I used the J-3 razor today and took the advice given. Also probably did some extra special prep to be sure. The shave was good to excellent and will be improved with time and technique. A very easy razor to use and forgiving. I think I will try to cage some of the schick blades. though to see if they are substantially different.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Andy K

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Andy!