1st Week w/ New Omega 49

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by swarden43, Jun 19, 2009.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So I went and bought myself an Omega 49. I purchased the red one with the black trim - it reminded me of my first car, a '67 LeMans (the GTO wanna-be), red with a black top. I already have a Vulfix 406, a "no-name" badger, and a VDH boar that started me shaving with a brush and soap.

The Omega is the largest of them. The night it came in I had to give it a test run. Out of the box the smell wasn't that bad and I wondered what all the fuss was about the stink of boar (the VDH didn't have any stink at all). I found out what the fuss was after soaking it in hot water for about five minutes :sick007! Anyway, I grabbed my MWF and easily whipped up a nice, thick lather. So far, so good, I thought. The next morning Em's Bay Rum (my strongest scented soap) was up in the rotation. Man, that didn't even cut the smell!!! I could barely make out the smell of the soap.

Long story short, the brush is making great lather. It does the job very much like my badger, but at a fraction of the cost (the Vulfix was $50, the Omega can be found for $9). The feel is much softer than the VDH, but not quite as soft as my badgers. I've read that after several months it may be difficult to tell the difference when it comes to softness. After seven days, the stink has dissipated to barely noticeable, but still there. This is a fantastic brush I would recommend highly.

Take care & God bless,
    Steve

Happy shaving!

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

After trying the Semogues 1305 and 2000 I think that the Omega 49 is my next purchase.The tips of both Semogues are really soft now(after almost a month of use) so I bet that the same would happen to your Omega.A member here (Zach) has pointed that Omega is hog instead of boar but I cant tell the difference between those kind of hairs.Thanks for sharing your experience with it and feel free to write a review about it,I bet that would help people like me to get decided.

3. Zach

Zach New Member

Hi Steve;

use your new brush in good health!

best,

Zach

4. swarden43

Thanks. I sure will.
    Truth be told, it was all your praise of the boar on SMF that sold me!

5. Zach

Zach New Member

Good to hear Steve;
    It was a fight worth fighting.

best,

Zach

6. Philq

Philq New Member

I have been usin an Omega 48 for a few years. Yep when first used it smelled like well you know. Now it is great and gets better with every use. I think I use it more than my badger.

7. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Steve,can you tell us how is your Omega performing now?

8. swarden43

I like it. I used it exclusively for a month to break it in. As soft as my badger (Vulfix 406)? Not quite, but it's soft enough that I don't mind. From what I've read about boar, it will continue to soften up a bit. Does it work as well as my badger? Sure does. I've had great results with all my soaps and the few creams I do have. It really worked wonders with MWF, the only soap I had difficulty coaxing a good lather out of from my badger. Size wise it is a tad larger than my badger, but, as I said, I like it.

Only I thing I didn't like - I wish someone had told me the logo on the side was a sticker and I would have coated it with some clear nail polish. It peeled off after the first week.

Bottom line - you say you want a badger but can't afford it... get an Omega 49. They're out there for less than $10. "Suffer" through a week of :sick007 the smell, and you've got a brush that is just as good, if not better, than a lot of badgers out there.

I just may have to get a white one and a black one to round out the set!
    Thanks for asking Teiste.

9. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks to you for your comments about it.Im enjoying the Semogues too much now but on my mind is the idea of getting an Omega and it seems that the 49 is a good one.Ill let you know when I get it.Thanks again.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I used to want one, but now it doesn't even cross my mind....

of course, if I had all 3 Semogue boars, I might think differently.... :rolleyes: :D

That is assuming, of course, that Semogue only makes 3 boars, and not more...:D

Swarden, I'm glad you're enjoying the boar no matter what brand it is.... :happy088

11. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Welcome to the Boar club...

I have a Semogue Silver tip badger, but somehow am so used to the lovely feel of the boar on my face that I end up using any of my boars most of the time. And its an awesome lather machine for all the creams I use too...

12. selhov

selhov New Member

yes i must say the omega brushes ar first class so dificult to split as i have the semouge brushes the 2000 and the popular 1305 i have the biger omega the 48 its a big brut like the semouge 2000 but doe,s a great job,next ill try the omega 49,im really pleased with bouth theas make,s they really do a great job and i cant fault them,so my next misssion is the omega 48, with what you guys say i dont think ill be let down with it ,brush mad that,a me:happy102

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

thats gonna be my next purchase,an Omega boar brush,so I dont think that we are gonna be let down by the Omega brushes.:D

14. selhov

selhov New Member

hi teiste i dont think you will go wrong i have the big omega and it whip,s up lather super quick even the williams wool soap i like the shave brushe,s but do love semouge first, omega second, if i have to put them in a reating they ar bouth super companey,s the omega 48 is areally big brut of a brush wher the 49 is a fair bit smaller but i will let you no how i get on with it when i put my order in chear,s:

15. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

I've got Omega chrome handled brushes in small (29) medium (81) and large (48). They all perform well. The small ones are the scrubbiest, with the smallest reserved for use on soaps - for which it is excellent. My badger brush hasn't touched water in years.

goshawk

16. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Thanks Selhov,let me know how it works for you
    I tottally understand you goshawk,I have 6 badger brushes on their plastic boxes now and havent seen water in 2 months....and more to come...

17. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Darn it Selhov, I don't need another brush but now I'm :drooling. :happy102

18. selhov

selhov New Member

hi freddy88 you will not be disapointer the omega 48 is great if you like a big brush and the 49 smaller which ife yet to expirience, but bouth ar under ten pound,s uk, and you can get them from CONNAUGHT SHAVING in the uk and a lot more besides, welllworth having a look at this sight they have every thing you can think of at a good price,well good luck:D

19. Vitaman

Vitaman New Member

I really enjoy my Omega 49, especially being able to lather from the top of my cheek bone to the bottom of my neck!! :happy102

20. I'd read about how large the Omega 49 was. I'd even used a ruler to get a better idea of how large it would be.

Well, today I received the brush. Damn!! This thing is HUGE!! It seems to be quite soft already, though I'm sure it will break in and get softer with time.

Can't wait to use it.:)