2 year storage on razor dull

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Turk, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I have 2 razors that after a couple shaves I put away and used others. They were honed by some of the best on this site and came to me super sharp. I pulled them out and stropped them and I just can't get them sharp again. I do have a 12k naniwa stone but haven't used it. Thought I could get by with just stropping them. The question is as they sit, do they build up an oxidized layer that ruins the edge and will require me to take them to the stone?

Billyfergie, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Simple answer is, Yes.
    Reason being is that unless they were stored, with oil on the blade, there will probably be some oxidation. It might not be visible without good magnification. Try a few strokes on a pasted strop, then linen, then leather. That should bring it back. Unless the edges were damaged,.before storage.

Billyfergie, Karl G, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Thanks DaltonGang. I did store them with oil on the blade and I treat the edges like a newly born baby. I dont have a pasted strop but I will give them another good stroping before I take it to the stone.

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I store my razors with camphor crystals inside plastic pickle jars.
    The camphor sublimates and deposits an oil film on everything inside the jars.

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hmm, I've never heard of that. Interesting. Do you have any links to articles on this?? Sounds like it would be a fun read.

6. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Without a pasted strop, I'd suggest using a bolt of paper and chromium.

It's easily the least expensive stand-in.

8. ralof1

ralof1 New Member

Yeah, you should still try to maintain them from time to time, because these fine blades need to be polished and oiled