$200 available - which straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Basset, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Basset

Basset New Member

Thinning out the den has left me with a Paypal balance of about $200. I am looking for straight recommendations. BTW, I have a Filly 13 coming in the mail in a bit.

Make your list(s).

2. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Restored Vintage. Best bang for your buck.

3. Basset

Basset New Member

Well, okay. Except for the forthcoming Filly, all of my straights are vintage.
    Here's what I've already got among the major names:

1. Pretty hone-worn Dubl Duck Special #1 5/8
    2. Thiers-Issard 69 6/8
    3. Torrey 6/8 square point
    4. Robeson Shuredges 5/8 and 9/16
    5. Wade & Butcher 6/8 black horn (Ken Rup honed)
    6. Wade & Butcher 6/8 blonde horn (Ken Rup honed)
    7. Boker Red Injun 5/8
    8. Boker 9te5, 5/8

Most of these I picked up in a couple of swaps for vintage fountain pens (of which I have many). I have others that I've picked up and restored, though the names are a bit more obscure.

So is there an obvious hole in my vintage lineup? A vintage Henckels? A different model Dubl Duck? Some of the other Sheffield names?

Links to some of the better vintage vendors?

Thanks for your input.

4. Leon

Leon Active Member

Well,

I'm seeing that your favorite size is around 5/8 - 6/8, so buying a chopper is out of the question for you (that's what I'd do :D).
    Maybe a Puma or a Dorko will be one of your best choices, since you already have a Duck.
    I was going to suggest a Filly (my favorite razors), but you already have one too.

5. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Save up $150 and buy a Robert Williams or Harner?

6. Basset

Basset New Member

I wouldn't say that 's my favorite size, just most of the razors I'd acquired in trades were 5/8 or 6/8. I do like my WB 7/8 a great deal. I think I prefer 6/8 to 5/8, so yes, maybe picking out a chopper would do.

7. Basset

Basset New Member

I've not heard of either, but then I'm still pretty new. Will keep these in mind. Thanks.

8. JimR

JimR Active Member

Well, if you want to move to new, why not a Revisor? They've got some beauties, and they're good shavers, and the customer service is Top Notch (yes, they speak English.)

9. Leighton

Leighton New Member

seconded. heard only good things about them.