2013 RAD?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alpla444, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, I know a Nigerian prince who wants to move money out of the country and is willing to give you 50% of the $10 million he moves to your bank account. All it takes is for you to send me your bank account number and $5000 to prove your serious about this. :angelic007:

PLANofMAN, BamaT and Monkeylord like this.
  2. A truck full of "under the radar" cash; could also be read, "Wife doesn't know I have it" cash would be sweet right now. While I scored a like-new E-3 Fatboy the other day in a junk shop in Utah for a song (encrusted in shave-spooge; cleaned up like a new penny!), I am soooo coveting an Above The Tie Titan SS razor, or even the 7-piece set from them...

178-bplatoon and alpla444 like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just got an Atlas handle from Above the Tie. I like the 3" length and the Barber Pole knurling, but wish it was a little bigger in diameter and beefier, with deeper knurling. I'm wanting a shave head also, I just can't decide between the R & M which one will work best for me. I'm fairly sure from reading reviews that the H will be more aggressive than I prefer...:shaver

alpla444 likes this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'd probably go with the middle of the road, that way if it's still a little too aggressive then it'll be easy to sell and get most of your money back.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Got a couple Fatboys fairly cheap but they needed some cleaning up. Still a bit to do but here they are with most of the crud off. Both still have all of their finish so I'm pretty happy. With all the crud on them I wasn't too sure when I bought them.
    [​IMG]

6. Erik Redd

Nice looking fatboy's. What are the date codes?

7. feeltheburn

G1 and G4.

alpla444 likes this.
  8. Erik Redd

I think that's 1960, 1st and 4th quarters.

I'm looking for a D1, 1st quarter 1958 to correspond with my birth date.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. Erik Redd

Wait, that's probably 1961 for G. Whoops.

10. feeltheburn

Sorry. I've heard the '58s are hard to find. I was born after they quit making the fatboy so I wasn't really looking for anything specific. I guess I might look for a P4 Super Adjustable at some point. :)

alpla444 likes this.
  11. Erik Redd

The Super Adjustable's a nice razor. I've got a P1 Super adjustable from an uncle's effects after he passed away. Even though it's obviously well used, it's a nice looking razor. The gold and black complement each other.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'd love to pick up a Gillette Tech razor, try some TSD soaps (looking for something a little slicker than the VDH I picked up locally). I'm still new to DE shaving, so I'll be trying as many different blades as I can, and when I get the perfect one picked out, stock up.

alpla444 likes this.
  13. feeltheburn

I think I figured out how to find deals on e-bay. The trick apparently is to make multiple bids on identical items. Here's how I figured that out. I found this ad.
    [​IMG]

It's a little hard to see what kind of condition these are actually in so I figured $15 with shipping for all 3 was about all I'd be willing to pay so I bid that thinking somebody would probably want them a little more. Since I figured this one probably wouldn't happen, I found this Krona. I want to try one so I figured I'd put a $5 bid on this one thinking that probably wouldn't get it either.
    [​IMG]

So, now I've got 2 Super Speeds and 2 Kronas on the way. :)

14. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I am going to try and buy much fewer than the 60 or so razors I bought in 2012. So far I'm doing good just a cased 61 slim aristocrat and a Merkur 39C. I have some vintage brushes I am going to restore with TGN knots. Maybe a few soaps and creams. I should be set with blades. I have at least 50 of each Feather, Voshkod, Astra SP, and Polsilvers in the drawer.

PLANofMAN, Suisse, alpla444 and 2 others like this.
  15. feeltheburn

Good luck Luteplayers. I think once I get a decent example of each of the main types to try out, I'll be happy. I really just want to try them out and then keep a few of the ones I really like to shave with. We'll see if I can actually stop once I get to that point. :)

16. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Only 2 weeks in 2013 and I already bought 3 soaps...How to stop it ? Maybe to quit reading shaving forums :sad027: ?

Monkeylord likes this.
  17. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I think I would like to buy a razor made this century at some point. I have been eyeing the Merkur Barberpole, but I don't know if i will actually do it or not this year.

alpla444 likes this.
  18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have 2 1959 fatboys great razors, and mine are very similar condition to yours they should be great shavers for you.
    Nice find;)

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I want to try a couple of the Bathouse Soapery & Caldarium shave soaps. Ditto for the Strop Shoppe, Nanny's Silly Soap and Neal's Yard Remedies soaps. I'll order those over the next year, and reduce my current blade stash from 60 or so individual blades down to a few packs. Maybe try a few new blades, such as Voskhod, Rapira Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Rapira Platinum Lux, and also scout around the local Indian grocery stores. After trying three different razors, 60 or so blades and seven or eight different soaps, it is pretty much time to call it a day. A primary and backup razor, five or six different blades that work really well and a few great soaps will do the trick. Of those, all I really need or want to have on hand is the razors, a few packs of blades and a couple cakes of soap. No hoarding for me!

20. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Well I couldn't resist, it's only January still and bought a Razorock OC and tried it this morning. Can't say I liked it though. I'm putting money aside to get my first straight, hopefully soon!