2013 RAD?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alpla444, Dec 30, 2012.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Why is it that I can't resist a lot of cruddy looking razors?
    [​IMG]
    I started the Slim soaking last night. It was so gummed up that the adjusting collar wouldn't turn. The TTO knob barely did and it won't close all the way yet. I'll post some after pics as I get them cleaned up but I'm going to take my time with that. The Tech looks unused except for a chip on the head (which was in the description). The others are pretty bad. I can't even make out the date codes yet.

Larry Stephenson likes this.
  2. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Maybe, like me, you can see the beauty in them that, through some effort and care, you can bring out. Now that I think of it, some women have, on occasion, like some old, well worn tool, said the same of me!

feeltheburn likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Well, the Slim is still soaking. That thing it going to take a while. So I turned my attention to the Old. It looked awful. Somebody had attempted to polish the head with something that didn't work at all. It left some pretty deep gouges. I flattened the head back out with some 1000 grit, then 1500 grit and polished it with a felt wheel on the Dremel. I think it looks pretty awesome. Still some work to do on the handle but it's coming along :)
    [​IMG]

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

*facepalm*
    I've been shopping for additional razors already all bloody day. Thus far on my possibilities are:
    • Merkur Progress (Always wanted one to be honest)
    • Cadet OC & EJ DE89 (To go with my R41 Head) + iKon Bulldog Handle
    • iKon 2013 Safety Bar Bulldog and just keep the pair of iKons (OC & SB)
    I think what started this ball rolling was the Feather handle not fitting into my iKon stand and it's slowly driving me crazy...

Edit - No need for the I-Told-You-So JoAnna, I know you wanna say it ;)

5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Well, I turned to eBay once again. I was pretty surprised to find, scattered among the usual ***VINTAGE RARE GILLETTE "SUPER SPEED" RAZOR, ONLY 4 MADE, SUPER RARE $600.00 ONLY*** ads were a couple that were pretty good values. So naturally I have coming to me the following:

'56 SS red tip
    Pal injector
    Schick injector (looks like a G)
    Gillette "New" OC ball end
    Gillette slim adjustable "aristocrat" (?). I've never heard of this, it appears to be a slim that is gold colored.

My wife will likely beat me to death with one of them. I hope it's the slim.

All of these I got for $34.00 including shipping. I am pretty happy.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

You got a good deal there, and yes the your correct on the, Gillette slim adjustable "aristocrat" (?). I've never heard of this, it appears to be a slim that is gold colored.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I caved. Ordered an iKon Bulldog handle and DE89. I'll be replacing the Feather/iKon base setup with that. Next step will be getting my New LC head replated in chrome so I have a Closed Comb, Open Comb AND Tooth Comb for my new handle. Argh, time to get some stuff together to sell again before my wife beats me to death with the first available implement in the house...

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Then, when you tell her, make sure there a lot of feather dusters close by!

9. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

2012 was my first year of traditional wet shaving. During this year I experienced AD's for soaps (30+), creams (20+), blades (2000+), AS/ASBs (20+), and vintage razors (30). I have managed to relatively remain calm about brushes (6). I guess I should mention samples as well. Counting each packet, wedge, or mini-tub, I've received over 60 samples of creams, soaps & AS/ASBs

My main focus in 2012 was to try try everything, particularly at the end. I did manage to try nearly all of my soap and creams, 29 of 54 different blades brands, all of the AS/ASBs, and 15 of the vintage razors.

I'm tired of testing blades so I'm giving that a rest. My desire to accumulate more stuff has dropped off precipitously, except for one item, and that's vintage razors found in the wild, at great prices. I guess I've also managed to buy a couple more pucks of vintage Williams. What I hope to do is to continue to use the vintage razors I've bought and decide which ones to keep, either for myself or my sons. I'd like to get rid of at least half of them.

I've had my temptation this year, but have done a great job resisting. Really, the only thing I can see myself buying this year is more vintage razors (Can...not...resist...), and a couple of vintage handles to reknot. I may buy the random soap or cream if I find a killer deal, or if an intriguing product comes out.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: Nice score at a fair price..$7 bucks a razor is a good buy!! :)

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I see the AD's haven't hit you yet. ;) you got off fairly lightly, compared to some on this forum.

5Savages likes this.
  12. 5Savages

I just heard about the the first intriguing product that has caught my interest. Bullgoose Shaving is working with Valobra to produce an english fern scented tallow shave soap. This sounds like something I need to buy! 100g rounds, due in the spring or early summer.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A black handled Shake Sharp razor. And some more Figaro shave cream! I only have 2 1/2 tubes left. A few more bay rums and some full size Ogallala bay rums, and I think that will cover me until next year. Except that now I want to try this English Fern Valobra puck enablers have mentioned...:( :happy036:Just checked, and Figaro is back in stock!

Got the hard stuff out of the way.:bounce017::bounce015:
    Now I just need to allocate some money from the next check and I think I'll be set for the rest of 2013.:D

14. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

image.jpg

I think they cleaned up nicely. The slim is very nice though about half of the gold is missing from the doors, just nickel underneath.

feeltheburn and Conrad1959 like this.
  15. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

So far in 2013 I have bought two straight razors( just bought a Gotta) an Illinois strop, a Norton combination waterstone, I think I had better slow down a little!!!!

Conrad1959 likes this.
  16. Duran805

Duran805 Member

Mdc and merkur slant razor are on my list.

17. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

1st gen Tradere OC is on its way to my doorstep, along with two samples of Captains Choice AS. Merkur Slant (37c) and some different soap/cream/blade samples are all I really have my eyes on at the moment...

18. 5Savages

It appears that old Avon AS bottles, at least half full, have turned into one of my 2013 ADs, though once I have one or two bottles of a particular scent, I don't feel the need to get more, regardless of how cheap it is. So far I have, or am waiting for, Tai Winds, Wild Country, Bravo & Tribute. I know of one antique store that had a few more scents available but at the time I wasn't interested. If they're there when I go back, they're mine. They were only asking about $4 or $5 per bottle for them.

19. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I want to try out some Trumper Mr Taylor and St James and Eton College. If I really like one of these scents I may get their cologne. I really am tired of all these oceany, spring mist, fresh linin, unicorn rainbow racer, smells and want something masculine but still not grandpa! If that makes any sense.

20. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

There's a place that has a ton of em up the street from my house in the craziest bottles. Trains cars saddles cats bears all for around $2.50 - $4 next time I'm up there I'll snap a few pics for ya.