2019 Traveling Box Tour Round Two

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, May 24, 2019.

1. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Awesome report sir! This is really fun!

John Beeman, RyX and MR41 like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

There's a lot of great razors in the box but most of them I already have one (in some cases two or three) so most of the razors will be staying in the box.

I have a vintage puck of Williams and an Old Spice shave mug for sure that I plan to donate. I'm also thinking about a Pinaud hair tonic sample.

If there's something you want to try, speak up now and I might just have some.

Enrico and RyX like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Thanks for leaving the Arko Aftershave balm for those of us later down the line.

Enrico, RyX and John Beeman like this.
  4. John Beeman

I'll check my Arko creams. If I have the matching shave cream I'll put in a sample.

RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So what type of stuff should we concentrate on putting in the Box? What seems the most popular? Soaps/creams, maybe brushes? Should we back off on adding razors (except SE), blades and A/S?

I'd like to try the two Old Spice clear bottles that just got included but I absolutely don't need them; if someone down the list is interested I'll leave them in. I'll probably include the big Omega that Panchango gave me, I'm growing attached to my brass brush.

Since this is an opportunity to add stuff, if there's a consensus on general types of items that can be pulled, I'm for that. I just don't want to pull something someone's got his eye on (and I almost pulled the Avon tube too, just to make room).

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I dropped that in the box. Forget who I got it from in a trade. It's an actual Mühle R89 Grande. There are several companies using the same or very similar cap & base plates. I found it on the mild side and slightly slippery of handle, but it is a beautiful unit.

Anyone know who put this cap and base plate in Round One?
    RFB 1.gif RFB 2.gif
    I think it's a '34 NEW Deluxe from the markings. Also called a Red & Black for the colors of the case they came in. Far as I've been told the R&B's were gold washed. This one is either nickle or chrome. I'm wondering if it was replated because the finish is in great condition. It also shaves great!

Enrico, John Beeman and Jrdelgado like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

JB, I haven't forgotten your President. Will mail to you when the Box goes out.

John Beeman, Jrdelgado and RyX like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I included the bright nickel New Deluxe head that Chris at Razorplate did for me a few months back. Decided now that I have the Senator (and a beard) it was just taking up space. All I shave now are lower neck and cheeks and I'm not planning to mow off the beard any time soon...so I got a lot of stuff I just don't see myself needing to hang onto anymore.

John Beeman, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jrdelgado

I don’t need the old spice clear bottles. I’ll be happy with anything in there. I believe I will have a few brushes and maybe brush handles to add.

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't remember if it made me itch, but I've got Proraso Red SS & AS. It's got a great strong sandalwood but no cologne scent. I wouldn't miss it if it got donated to a homeless shelter, or someone snagged it.
    I think that's Leather AS & Cologne. Good juice! Found one each 2/3's full and I'm enjoying it. Leather forward and dries down to Old Spice. Good Shulton product. Since I have some I have no claim.
    For anyone that likes or wants to try a boar brush, Omegas are top shelf. The handles tend to be on the cheap side but the knots can be used to restore others. I got the big red 10048 (or 49) when it passed my way. If someone wants that one grab it before I do.

John Beeman likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad to know that bit of history. There was a question if the '34 Deluxe came in other than gold wash. This one does and I'm OK with it. I checked the Razorplate website - by appointment & taking new work as of a couple weeks ago.

brit likes this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It is a loose rule... If everyone gives more than they take, the box at some point will be overloaded.

MR41 and RyX like this.
  14. John Beeman

Old Spice Leather is good stuff and I already have some so the set that’s in the box will stay. I did sniff the cologne and it might be starting to sour so don’t be surprised if you’re underwhelmed.

The Omega is gone but there’s still two of the blonde handled boars.

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

When The Box left my den as I taped over the multiple layers of preexisting tape, the fold over tabs were an inch apart. It was over loaded! I didn't get The Stink Eye from the USPS employee but there's limits to how much we can get away with.

As evidenced by the quality of gear folks pulled and added, and those that signed up for Round Two, there's some good quality stuff happening. A value judgement happens for each participant, so lets keep it going! I like the communication folks are sharing. Knowing what others desire can help fine tune the contents. Jeff @stingraysrock is The Originator so he does have final word on rulings as to what gear is suggested or discouraged.

(Round three?)

gorgo2 and Jrdelgado like this.
  16. John Beeman

The last time I had the box my Post Office clerk commented on the weight.
    I told him I was mailing concrete samples to a client.

Enrico, brit, ordinaryshaver and 2 others like this.
  17. Jrdelgado

:happy102:

brit likes this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

Gonna steal that!

RyX and brit like this.
  19. Jrdelgado

(Round three). I’m interested!

RyX and Enrico like this.