2019 Traveling Box Tour

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Mar 9, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It really is a pussycat.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Whoever grabs that unassuming looking Cooper three piece, may I respectfully request a review? Want to see if it's as aggressive as I found it or am I just getting soft.

RyX likes this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I can tell you now, from first hand experience, it is the same agressiveness as an adjustable Gillette on setting 9.

However, it is VERY unassuming, and doesn't feel overly agressive during the shave, but you have to be careful with it.

I'll use mine and do another review of it if you like.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

RyX likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've used adjustables on nine and thought this was noticeably worse, and that's with a better technique now.

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I missed out on an action where a Monobult sold for $35. After reading more I'd like to give that Cooper 3pc a try!
    Please post a good clear photo. Google doesn't offer much in the way of pictures and I haven't figured out which is the Cooper. Doesn't seem to have marking, or my eyes are getting too dim to read the letters.
    I long since ran my '59 Fat Boy up to number nine and like it with a Feather or Kai blade. Aggressive/efficient is good!

Frijolero, cliffb599 and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That Barbicide jar is sure a beauty and someday I need to get a Red tip.

RyX, cliffb599, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Both will be in The Box when I ship it.

MR41 and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088:

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

For those that know, is this the cap and base plate of a 3pc Cooper?
    If not, what is it?
    is this a Cooper.gif
    I read about the fatter center pin / threaded that that either needs blades punched out or a little force to assemble. This doesn't appear to be that.

Frijolero, Linuxguile, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. ordinaryshaver

Doesn't look like mine. Well, the top cap does, but the bottom is different.
    I'll try to get some high def pics.

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

@RyX here are 2 pictures that may help.
    (Mine was in rough condition when I found it, so no judging) Fotor_156082981395673.jpg Fotor_156082991660114.jpg

Frijolero, Enrico and brit like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Aaron! They do help to rule this as "other than Cooper". May be of a similar zamak composition, but different style or maker.

I've been shaving with only my newest acquisition, a kami-shavette, for the past month. Time for a test shave with this unknown! I want to get my curiosity answered so The Box can head home to Jeff @stingraysrock .

MR41 likes this.
  14. ordinaryshaver

I wonder if the blade Gap is the same?

May be good to take a look at the Cooper Owner Club page to get much more detailed info. I'll try to remember to do another shave video with it soon, and perhaps something like a Fatboy, or slim adjustable to use as a sale of reference.

RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did, didn't read every post but I zoomed through the photos. Coopers have their name molded into the baseplates. Dunno what that one is. I took it for a test shave, but it came in second place to the Gillette OC 3pc that was my other choice.

So for those hanging on the edge of their seat I'm done testing and sampling. Going to document my Takes and see how many of my Gives I can stuff in The Box this evening. Be hitting the Post Office tomorrow morning.

Frijolero, gorgo2 and John Beeman like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I shaved today with the Wickham 1912 Scottish Heather soap using the Gillette 3pc OC on a Maggard SS handle and splashed on some Avon Blue Blazer AS. They passed the test and I'm pulling them from The Box.

So here's what's going back in.
    The Traveling Box - back in.gif I hope Jeff @stingraysrock & Round Two Participants find some keepers in the mix! If I can get it to close up I'll be adding this selection.
    The Traveling Bog - adds.gif

John Beeman, cliffb599 and brit like this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Holy Smokes! So many things I put in are still there, and a bunch of new additions!

I will for sure be nabbing the Penhaligon soap and now the Lucky Tiger! Perhaps a few other software items too.

This pass around has just been delightful to watch, and I thank you all. I am looking forward to round two.

Perhaps one rule we need to include for round two is that you have to TAKE more than you GIVE?!?

But, that is one of the things that makes TSD so wonderful; we are GIVERS!

Go Box, Go Box, Go, Go, Go!

Linuxguile, cliffb599, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Is that an Edwin Jagger? And WOW!

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  19. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Wow some of the boar brushes were left.. Wish I had grabbed but was feeling greedy and I was sure the people after me would want them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    cliffb599 likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

EJ? There's a Muhle R89 Grande, a 3pc chrome DE. That the one? There is another R89 cap & baseplate, too. Or the badger brush? That's a Caswell Massey travel brush with the tube and cap behind it. Decent dense knot, but too small for my big hands and I rarely travel.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

MR41 and cliffb599 like this.