2020 is definitely the year of the Gillette Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jun 22, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

German made Walbusch B5 and Merkur also made one with the same slant head design. They just angle the blade with no torsion applied to the blade unlike the Valencia or the Krect slant razors.

Here is the Walbusch B5, the Merkur version looks almost identical except for maker marks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Droo78, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It would be very easy to retrofit an adjustable razor head to any old handle, you'd need to drill into the handle to make the thread deeper for a longer stem on the cap or base plate then use 2 nuts and a spring for the adjuster. The adjuster would go between the base plate and handle.

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To quote myself instead of editing the thread I think 1 nut and a spring would work since the handle would lock the nut in place once you adjusted it.

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The difference in feel / feedback between the Fatip OC and its slant sibling is not at all subtle, and I don't think it has much to do with angles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. alesmv

alesmv Member

In general FaTip has big (very big) problems with the finishes, I have seen Storto models, very damaged in just one month of use ... it is not a personal opinion, but what I see in the Italian forums where users show their great disappointment (from your favorite brand) and the damage is incredible, not only TOTAL loss of the finish on the edges and safety bar, but broken head posts (!! ??)

I have seen three cases .. despite that part it is not stressed ...

I can't explain it, but the FaTip quality is infamous lately!
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's slants and then there are Slants. The Valencia doesn't shave like the 37C. Is it the be all, end all pinnacle of razor design? No. It does take a mediocre shaving razor and turn it into a top tier shaver though.

Aside from a few die hard folks who like the aggression, most people don't use an Old Type as a daily shaver. Turning it into a slant keeps the aggression the same but ups the comfort level considerably.

...Most importantly, it looks cool.

Maybe I'll do a pass-around after the jig is all sorted out.

efsk, Droo78, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i rarely use my old types as i prefer the comfort of my new series rfb and sc.but would love an old type slant.i have a donor or 2..:)

wristwatchb and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Since when did "TTO" suddenly mean "adjustable?" :p

But yes, it would be easy to retrofit a three piece razor to be adjustable. A person could make a part that inserts between the handle and baseplate. As long as the threads were compatible, you could switch it between any three piece razor. It was one of the concepts I hashed out with CarbideMike, back when he was an active forum member.

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Major brain fart on my part. The nut and spring thing is not a new idea either, the Gibbs adjustable is an implementation of that idea.

PLANofMAN, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The slant concept is based upon how a guillotine blade works.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And I want that anywhere near my neck? ;)

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Aye but we're dealing with both slant and torque here.

[​IMG]

Jim99, Droo78 and brit like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's what I had in mind.

Removing the head of a TTO without damage (can be done), torquing the baseplate and doors into slant angles, adjusting the riser mechanism, ensuring proper angles all around, etc etc, THEN getting it all back together in operational order? I'd have to see that, it sounds like way more work than it'd be worth. Better chance of doing one from the ground up.

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In the Monobilt's case, all you would have to do is unscrew the head, flip the spring out of the way. Press it in the Valencia jig and reassemble.

brit likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Try to imagine holding a shiny new Gillette-style slant TTO in your hands and watching it open up for the first time. After trying to picture it, it's so wild that I really don't see how it'd ever work. But I'm always willing to be wrong.

brit and battle.munky like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've been lucky thus far with the five Fatips I have. I don't doubt others' experience. Neither here nor there as my comment was regarding geometry not finish.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Droo78 likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well. Today was a day I should have left well enough alone. I redid the jig to get more twist. BAD BAD idea. It collapsed the curvature of the cap and went all wonky. Basically took all gap and exposure away.

I am putting the jig back in and cutting it down to what it was. This will have to be the extent of this jig. If more twist is required it would require some design work that is eluding me at the moment. I think I need a better CAD program to get the swarf correct with maintaining cap curvature.
    Bad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Jim99, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Sadly or maybe not if you put that up for a pass around the usual suspects would be lining up try it out. Color me as one of the guilty ones.

brit and Droo78 like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It won’t shave I think. I will use it to test other things down the road. Like converting slants to regular

brit likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If @twhite gets the jig sorted out I'll donate a susper speed or 2 to see if the doors and base plate can be bent into shape. If they can I'll figure out a way to get the lifter mechanism working again from there.

gorgo2 and brit like this.