3 Razor method

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobby Mac, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Ok so in my infinite desire to learn as much as possible about my new found love of DE wet shaving - I stumbled upon the 3 razor method, found here

I cannot say it looks appealing to me personally, but was wondering has anyone else tried this? If so, are there any merits?

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

One merit is you get to use more razors :). I think the article explains it, some shavers like to progress from a more aggressive razor to a mild razor in the opinion they get a close shave with less irritation, just like some adjustable users change the settings from higher to lower for subsequent passes - it's the same theory. They feel 3 passes with an aggressive razor will result in too much irritation, yet 3 passes with a mild razor won't give a close shave. The most aggressive razor is used for the 1st WTG pass, and the mildest razor with the last ATG pass.

I haven't tried this enough to know if it would work for me or not.

3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I haven't used three separate razors during a shave but I have done this by changing the settings on my adjustables. I did this just to see what would happen. For me, I didn't get as close a shave as I normally would. But for many, who start to get irritation during the third or four pass, I think it would be an excellent idea.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The multiple razor meathod has been around for a while. Like Erik, I've yet to try it out and don't know if the process will work. Also it might get tricky keeping track of when to change the blades on three different razors..:think002:

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree with Erik a main reason to use a multi razor system is the opportunity to not only use different razors , but also different types of razors...I use a two razor system myself. I shave daily and get consistant DFS shaves..

First pass is with an EverReady 1924 "shovelhead SE, my theory is the thicker, stiffer SE blade will get through the tuffer first pass whiskers easier...Second,third and touchup passes are done with a Weber BullDog Stainless DE using a DLC shave head..I think I could accomplish the same results from just using either of the razors alone, it's just more fun using both.....:)

6. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I have used a 2 razor system for years.When the blade in my Cobra is brand new I use the Cobra for first pass and a Merkur HD for 2nd and 3 . I find The new blade in the Cobra a little too sharp for Xgrain and ATG. However after 2 shaves when the blade in the Cobra is not quite as sharp as new. I use the Cobra for all 3 passes.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

I use just one razor per shave. But that's me.