30 Day Rule/Focus; March 2023. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

A very good Throwback Thursday shave. That huge brush I won in the recent raffle was a key player. What a soap magnet! Helped me ge a good amount of lather onto my face and neck. I have plenty of the soap-at 5 oz. it will last me a good loooooong time. Goose eggs on the Cuts, Kmicks, and Polka-Dots. Razorock's Puros A.S. to finish. Good tobacco combination, this As Outstanding As It Gets.

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great intro and suggested themes, Joe! I think I will start with Middle Shelf March and see where it goes from there.

JACarbone, Hembree and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks John. Looking forward to your posts this month.

JACarbone, Hembree and Screwtape like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thursday, March 2 - Middle Shelf March

Razor: Supply 2.0 matte black stainless with SE open comb plate / Supply Black Label (10)
    Brush: Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic
    Soap: Hendrix Classics & Co. pre-White Star budget soap, Classic Barbershop scent
    Post: Alum and Hendrix prototype balm, Classic Barbershop scent

My last shave was Tuesday, February 21, so nine days ago. Stubble to match.

A comment about my products and the theme I am attempting to follow.

First, the razor: the Supply injector I have is an older model and was made in stainless, so not exactly "low-end". However, in its day it was mid-range for cost for a stainless razor - about $100. And now Supply only offers its razors in a heavily chromed zinc alloy version, so definitely cheaper, although not as cheap as using a vintage Schick model E or G injector. I use it now almost exclusively with the SE "comb" plate, which functionally turns it into the new Supply SE model - the "nick-proof" model for beginners or "just shavers" unlike the dial-controlled multi-level Supply Pro. So a good, solid, middle-of-the-road razor excellent for anyone wanting either to use an injector specifically or just to get into wetshaving. (It really is almost totally nick-proof...)

The brush: the Simpson's Chubby synthetic is more expensive than a drugstore boar or synthetic brush but is nowhere near the cost of a badger. Great brush to use.

Soap: Pete from Hendrix Classics & Co. is - or was - a member here pre-Covid who got interested in making soaps and balms and has since turned it into a business. My products are from his startup period. In fact, the balm I have is a prototype he sent me to test. (Excellent balm, but I don't use balms much anymore.). His company now sells two lines of soaps and balms - its signature soap in a variety of scents, and their "budget" White Star line in three basic scents that evolved out of their original products. The new base is vegetarian but does contain goat milk. The White Star soap (and my early samples of the original soap) is vegan - no animal products at all. Although a number of palm trees do sacrifice their lives to the cause, and I don't know if Hendrix uses sustainably sourced palm oil or not. In addition, a number of coconuts get horribly squished into oblivion -- but into every life a little rain must fall...

The Hendrix soap lathers easily and quickly and provides excellent glide and cushion. For anybody who wants to avoid tallow soaps, Hendrix is an excellent vegetarian/vegan choice.

Two passes with the Supply SE lookalike had me back from hobo to respectably cleanshaven in under five minutes. One pass WTG on the face and ATG on the neck got most of the stubble; a second pass XTG on the face and WTG on the neck finished the job to a DFS.

The alum was almost totally silent. I used the balm mainly to keep with the Hendrix theme. It's also a little dry with the windy cold weather here, so I figured a bit of moisturizing wouldn't hurt. The balm sinks in quickly and soothes and moisturizes without feeling at all greasy.

Hope the week is going well for everyone.

5. Trigger

Super shave and detailed post to start the month John. It was an excellent explanation of why you chose your setup to fit the Middle Shelf them. Thank you.

Screwtape, Hembree and JACarbone like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

F8DF7C3C-F456-4868-801A-07EA43F81915.jpeg

SRS # 843 - March Mug Madness

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Martens HDW Co. 11/16” Kingwood scales
    Brush: Sawdust Creation Studio “Inferno” Silver Fox Synthetic
    Lather: Santa Fe Soap Ranch Redwood Vetiver
    Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Tonic- Winter Reserve
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Superb shave this morning. My first exposure to the Santa Fe Soap Ranch Soap was approximately 8 years ago while visiting New Mexico for my niece’s wedding. This is the second puck of soap I have used from them. The first was their Carmel and Tobacco blend. It is a long lasting soap which provides a nice slick cushion for the razor to do its job. Today was no exception.

Finished off with the Small Batch aftershave which is very nice for this time of year, although I have used it year round. Would I purchase it again. Probably not as the shipping cost of is approximately is approximately 35% of the cost of the aftershave alone.

Hppe you all have a great day gentlemen.

7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice acquisition of the injector. Great set of shaves all around Joe.

Trigger and Hembree like this.
  8. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb shave and detailed report John.

Screwtape, Trigger and Hembree like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Great shaves to start the month Gentleman!

Where did February go?

10. Trigger

Beautiful razor and awesome post Joe.

JACarbone likes this.
  11. Trigger

Thanks Joe. Today, I am going to use my E3 and compare it with my new Schick injector.

JACarbone likes this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20230301_063635.jpg
    Timeless Razor ALSB45 aluminum razor.
    Bolzano blade. 2nd and 3rd shaves.
    Yaqi 24mm synthetic brush.
    Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir shave soap.
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.
    Royal Copenhagen cologne.

Wednesday and today's shaves.

Three very nice enjoyable passes. I'm really enjoying these Bolzano blades.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday.

13. Trigger

Thanks Danny.

JACarbone likes this.
  14. Trigger

Alabama Awesome shaves Danny!

JACarbone likes this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Looks great Hogie!

Hogie, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  16. Herm2502

"Super Duper"? Woo hoo! Can I hear a "Hell yeah!"?

JACarbone, Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  17. Herm2502

Geez, it's only the 2nd of the month and feel like I'm a week behind in keeping up with the posts!

JACarbone, Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  18. Trigger

March 2 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Schick E-3 Injector
    Pella SE Blade (fresh)
    Stirling Boar Brush
    Razorock XX SS
    Pinaud-Clubman Classic AS
    Stirling Alum Block
    Beard Growth: 1 day

20230302_160912.jpg

Today's shave was to compare the Schick E-3 with yesterday's shave with the Schick I-1.
    I knew from the get go that the E-3 was more aggressive, but to actually feel the difference was pretty neat. I never liked the Pella Blades, but both shaves kind of turned my thoughts about these blades. I still prefer the Chick's.

Anyway, I used the froth method to lather my face and it produced a Father Christmas Beard. Lol! I only needed 2 passes with one WTG and the other XTG. I have recently changed my second pass from ATG to XTG. So far, my skin has fared well. On my first pass, I nicked my lower lip, but the alum and cold water took care of it before I proceeded to my 2nd pass. Moreover, I didn't need any touch-ups. The shave was a BBS result.

I did get a lot more alum feedback than yesterday which is in line with the E-3 having more growl. Splashed on the Pinaud-Clubman Classic AS for a nice burn. In conclusion, I will use the I-1 for 1 day growth and the E-3 for 2 or more days growth. Take care.

19. Trigger

When I joined this thread in Dec 2018, the average monthly posts were between 9,000 to 10,000 posts. Some of the former members were exasperated to sa the least. About 2 years ago, there was a mass exit. The previous overseer of this thread was going to let this thread die and I volunteered to keep it going because I acquired plenty of knowledge and wanted to give back. New members have come and gone, but there is a core that keeps the lights on here.

20. Herm2502

You do an awesome job Joe. I'm amazed at the "traffic"! It's all good, I'm just slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.