30 Day Rule/Focus; March 2023. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Very nice Throwback Thursday shave this morning. Cheeks&Sideburns were great. A Knick on the east side of North Porcupine)painless). South Porcupine did well. Jawline checked out fine. Still trying to figure things out down at Cactus Nation, but all went well. 2 passes. I put on a little too much of the aftershave(Puros), thus I hope it calms down soon. I do like this Stoylin Oro Valley soap. Back 9 of same combo tomorrow. Most Outstanding for today.

Hembree, Herm2502, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20230323_060650.jpg
    Yaqi Sentinel stainless steel razor head.
    Homelike Shaving Voevoda stainless steel handle.
    Feather blade (4).
    Yaqi 24mm two band badger brush.
    Tabac shave soap.
    Time Razor shave bowl.
    American Tobacco by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

First run with the Yaqi Sentinel head. The fit and finish on this head is excellent and impressive for the price point. The blade alignment is spot on.

The 1.50mm gap is a little intimidating but proved to not be. The angle is easy to find and even with a Feather blade it never felt like it was going to bite. Three very smooth passes with no blood loss. The head is very efficient and smooth. I'm very please with this addition to the den.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Herm2502, JACarbone, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  3. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

23 Mar 2023
    Same setup hardware and software as y'day with one change. I used a pro tasso boar brush instead of the synthetic plisoft. Better lather resulted. I am reminded of @Ron R use of the term "nice splay scrubber" The synthetic brush sort of folds over rather than spreading out. Good for painting, not so good for "splaying". Not sure why but I prefer this. Tomorrow I will use my Old Vulfix badger hair brush, pretty sure it will be as good.
    Nice clean start to the work day. Safe satisfying shave. Better results around the Adams apple, swallow and hold, turning head to each side, stretching skin to the side, N-S and S-N are doable this way. Think i can still do better here.
    Hope you all have a great weekend coming up.

4. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Thank you Joe. Have a great day.

Hembree, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice shave and frankenrazor Danny. Of course, you can't go wrong with Tabac. Enjoy your afternoon.

Hembree, ChrisB and JACarbone like this.
  6. Trigger

Awesome shave and post Chris. I am assuming that the synthetic brush has a strong backbone which doesn't allow you to splay the brush. There are synthetics that have little to no backbone and splay well. I find that synthetics make great lathers and don't leave lines like natural bristle brushes. Like anything else, it's a ymmv thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Hembree, ChrisB and JACarbone like this.
  7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

4C040257-72D5-4536-84BA-93197C44652F.jpeg

SRS # 854 - March Mug Madness - Santa Fe Soap Ranch Redwood Vetiver

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Puma 65
    Brush: Shore Shave Creamsicle Swirl 24 mm White Synthetic
    Lather: Santa Fe Soap Ranch Redwood Vetiver
    Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Superb shave this morning with this soap. Every time I have reached for it I have been rewarded with a wonderful lather. This is my second pick from the Santa Fe Soap Ranch. Its lather rivals some of my top tier soaps. No bad for a $7 puck. I will pick up another pick from them.

Three passes with the Puma 65 straight have left my face smooth and velveteen. The AV Musk finished off lf this shave nicely.

Hope you are having a great day gentlemen.

8. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Most excellent shave Barry.

Hembree, palmolive fox and Trigger like this.
  9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice new acquisition Danny to support a great shave.

Hembree and Trigger like this.
  10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Chris

Hembree, ChrisB and Trigger like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Zingari Man thanked me for my review and sent a discount for next purchase, but so far they haven't LISTED my review. What's goin' down here????

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Hembree, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  12. Trigger

Terrific Thursday Shave Joe. 7 dollars a puck is a steal!

Hembree and JACarbone like this.
  13. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Thank you Joe.

Hembree and Trigger like this.
  14. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe. I think you are right, the backbone is too stiff, not sure if synthetics can be broken in like boar brushes, might just give it a good workout in future. It did seem fine earlier on with bowl lathering though.

Thank you Joe, I think I am getting somewhere!

24 Mar 2023

Same setup as the last 2 days. Up at 05:30 for the Friday pre-work shave.

I used the Old Vulfix Badger, also for face lathering the Tabac in a tube. Much better than the synthetic one for deep face lathering but it is definitely more prickly than the older boar brush I used yesterday. I had previously treated the boar brush to a breaking in period (water in fridge 3 days running with hair drying) I think I will do the same for this badger brush. Don't really like the prickly face treatment. Interesting how one only becomes aware of certain things after a period of time.

2 passes with my R89 and a new Derby Premium (1) seemed close up for work, but as usual I had to keep going and did a 3rd pass/clean up. Almost getting some BBS both ways in some areas.

I used much less Tabac cream than yesterday and only just had enough for these passes.

No damage, Thayer's and Tabac AS together with my EdP were a good start to an otherwise average Friday!

Back to bowl lathering on the weekend ahead.

Have a great weekend Gents.

15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe.

Hembree likes this.
  16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

DFF47500-BE70-4988-9AB1-EBF5D0A4238D.jpeg

DE Shave # 457

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette SS Red Tip TTO (1959 E-1)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Opus Shaving Brushes “Underdog”
    Lather: Old Cahaba Shave Club Brocha
    Aftershave: Los Jabones de Joserra Brocha
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Excellent Fougere type shave with the Brocha and the birth year Red Tip razor. I did my usual three pass shave and was rewarded with a close and comfortable shave. Post shave alum report was silent and the balm and aftershave finished off the shave nicely.

Earlier this week I had mentioned that I needed to decide which of three soaps would be up for the Edmund Fitzgerald treatment. I had decided the the Brocha will be designated for shave on Friday’s when I am in the Northern den which would project its end to be somewhere late September to early October. Therefore, I have either the Lather Bros. Calle Ocho or the Fuzzy Face Bonsai to concentrate on binning with either the 1508.5 Project or Weekdays 3017.

Hope you all have a great day gentlemen.

Herm2502, Hembree and palmolive fox like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

On a roll Chris with the nice shaves. While I do enjoy my badger brushes, I love the results that I get with all of my boars.

ChrisB likes this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20230323_193718.jpg
    20230324_064007.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308_214255_Google.jpg
    Yaqi Bohemian stainless steel razor.
    Astra SP blade (fresh).
    Yaqi two band badger brush.
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap.
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.
    Irish Chestnut by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

Fat Friday shave!

This is the first run with the Yaqi Bohemian. Yaqi had a sale and I could not pass it up. It is a large razor and I posted a picture with it next to a Rockwell 6S for size comparison.

The Bohemian is inspired by the French Bohin safety razor which is the right hand razor in the last picture.

This razor came in the brown/gunmetal gray finish but I stripped mine back to the stainless steel and Scotch Brited it to a satin finish....for me it looks better.

So how does the beast shave? It does have a narrow angle but once you find it it does a great job. The base can be reversed for two levels but I shaved with the lesser setting this morning. I need to spend more time with it to get it dialed in but for the first time it was a great shave....three passes with no blood loss. It is a heavy razor but the handle has great grip and allows for good control.

I hope everyone has a great Friday!

ChrisB, Herm2502, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Another fine acquisition Danny.

ChrisB, Trigger and Hembree like this.
  20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

What razor blade are you using for the Yaqi Single Edge Chrome razor head?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.