30 Day Rule/Focus; March 2023. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe.

Trigger likes this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous shave Danny.

palmolive fox, Hembree and Trigger like this.
  3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

R41 for me tomorrow. I know the R102 is really an R41 but with a different handle.

Trigger likes this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I have five Jayaruh’s.

Herm2502 and Trigger like this.
  5. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Hi Joe and everyone, new member here, thanks for the invitation :) think I might take the plunge and join this thread for March. I hope to be able to post from time to time, posting when possible.

March Madness!

I am not quite up to the Rigors of The Rule so I will be trying to increase my own Focus.

Muhle/Merkur March, I can do that.

Main focus will be on Mastering the Mapping, concentrating on Micro-Mapping those tricky little speed bumps/ tough areas.
    My second focus will be on Mastering the Lathering.
    Sub-focus: I might mix things up and do some random March Madness things along the way.
    l will still be rotating the Razors/Blades/soaps/creams/croaps/AS and so on.

I certainly think writing things down and Mulling over them (March Mulling!) helps with my learning process.

Really enjoy reading others' posts and the great variety of set ups out there.

Thanks again.

6. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Date: 2 Mar 2023
    Growth: 1.5 days.
    Lazy late afternoon shave.
    Lather Bowl: none! face lathered.
    Brush: Ever-Ready 200

(Initially wanted to use the Fatip OC slant again but could not get the blade to sit evenly: wondering if this is normal with slants? Could not get the blade to straighten up evenly, can’t be from those wax dots, same deal after I removed them. Can't remember this the last time I used this)

Razor 1: R41 Muhle
    Razor 2: Muhle R89
    Blade: Nacet (2)
    Face Prep: Hot water soaks x 2,
    Pre shave: Proraso, then more hot water soaks. Forgot to remove the pre-shave before lathering up.
    Cream: my grated and melted Arko home blend. Face lathering, adding more water, got to a point of too much water too quickly for my liking. Added more Arko from the tub. Not quite as protective as the last time I used this.
    Post Shave: Hot and Cold-water rinses. Alum block. Thayer’s
    Aftershave: Guerlain de Paris eau de parfum.

Passes:
    1st pass: WTG using the R41 partial pass only, feels rough. Poor prep. Lather not as good as usual.
    2nd pass: WTG and XTG still with the R41.
    3rd pass: Muhle R89 to the rescue to complete the shave, still WTG and XTG
    Touch ups: Multiple partial passes needed with some No 10 shaving gel to add lubrication. Nice and smooth up top, still some stubble AA and Right lower neck.

Results:
    Nicks: Felt something right side of mouth at the end of first pass, but no blood
    Red spots: None
    Alum burn: None,

Success: Great shave. Still nice and smooth during the best part of the next day.

Lessons learnt:
    Not to keen on the R41, it does remove stubble well, but not as well as the Fatip slant did the other day.
    Nacet (2) did not play too nice with the R41. I think the R41 may want a longer growth with a different blade. Fine with the R89 though. At some stage I will need to spend more time with the R41 when my technique and confidence improve.
    Still a bit nervy with the more aggressive razors, happy to come back to the R89 each time.

Residual stubble: Right lower neck despite rotary buffing, WTG XTG and ATG. Got the point where the skin says: enough! take a break.

Areas to practice:
    Still have to micro-shuffle my way around the chin on the touch up passes.
    Three short passes per area, change angle, 3 short strokes, change angle etc.
    Getting easier to go ATG in my lower right chin/scar area.
    Kept coming back to the tough areas with lather in the left hand, pulling up the skin to lift the remaining stubble and following behind with the razor, seems to work for me.

brit, palmolive fox, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Welcome Carl! We are a nice group of fellas here. If you have any questions concerning wetshaving, then this is the place. We are here to make your wetshaving journey easier and fun at the same time.

palmolive fox and JACarbone like this.
  8. Trigger

Terrific first post Carl! I agree that the Mühle R41 is best used with heavier beard growth. You may want to try a less aggressive blade when using the R41, especially with just a day's stubble. I don't own a slant, but I have heard that loading a blade in some slants can be wonky. Btw, nice shave!

palmolive fox, JACarbone and Herm2502 like this.
  9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

E3BED890-0923-4185-A4FA-8D2A0F103F03.jpeg

DE Shave # 454 - March Mug Madness

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Muhle R41
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
    Brush: CRD Sky Dragon 26 mm Synthetic
    Lather: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
    Aftershave: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Very nice summertime scent o. This chilly morning provided by the Stirling Weekend in Malibu. Most likely I will not pick up another puck of soap once the sample size is gone. The simple reason is I have a huge supply of soap. However, when the aftershave become available later this year as a seasonal release I will pick up a bootle. I can still enjoy the scent with my mild scented soaps such as Arko, MWF, Williams and Palmolive.

The R41 delivered a super smooth three pass shave. Post shave was downright excellent.

I hope you all have a great day.

10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Welcome to the group Chris. I am Joe. I am looking forward to seeing you posts.

Trigger likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice write up Chris (Carl?). The R41 has been labeled as aggressive and tough to shave with. But, I find it merely efficient. But you've got to have the angle just right or it loses that effectiveness. Keep working with it, I think you'll like it in the end.

12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Joe

palmolive fox, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:signs011:

Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  14. Trigger

Fab Friday shave Joe!

JACarbone likes this.
  15. Trigger

March 3 Tribute shave for my mother

Good afternoon.

Mühle R102
    Gillette Winner DE Blade (5?)
    Semogue OC Super Badger Brush
    Razorock XX SS
    Pinaud-Clubman Classic AS
    Stirling Alum Block
    Beard Growth: 24 hrs

20230303_163056.jpg

Today, my mom would have been 93 so I am dedicating this shave in her memory.
    Everything went well. I did the froth method to face lather and I produced a nice, creamy, slick lather. Did 3 passes to get an unblemished BBS shave. There wasn't any feedback from the alum, but did get a nice burn from the Pinaud-Clubman Classic aftershave. I am glad that I didn't screw up this shave so I can honor my mom in grand style. Take care.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Got a name for that brush of yours I won, Herm? I do like it.

JACarbone, Trigger and Herm2502 like this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Maybe "Big Daddy"? It's a bigun...

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  18. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thx, Joe, it certainly is fun. I will bring the R41 back into rotation later on, might still be a bit of a challenge come 3rd pass or buffing around the chin. Only one way to find out!

Thanks for the welcome, Joe.

Yes, thanks Herm, I have read that before, might be too efficient in my touchy areas, but I will come back to this later on with more beard growth and try some more March madness!

JACarbone, Herm2502 and Trigger like this.
  19. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

4 Mar 2023

I had some time on a Saturday for a leisurely shave.

Growth: 1 ½ days
    Lather Bowl: white bowl, back to bowl lathering, more control.
    Brush: Razorock 400 plisoft. I like the length and weight of this handle, the brush might be a bit soft (or long?) for my liking, but very still very nice.
    Razor 1: Latest Gillette that came in the mail a few days ago. I believe this a 40s Aristocrat but happy to stand corrected. Gave it a good clean last night. It has some minor blemishes on the cap, but so do I.
    (Razor 2: Muhle R89 on Standby.)
    Blade: Permasharp (1) First time I took this one out for a walk.
    Face Prep: 3x HWS
    Pre shave: Proraso
    Cream: TOBS tobacco leaf + 2 drops glycerine + dollop of TOBS Jermyn street cream: determined to get a great lather today. Nice and slick.
    Post Shave: Hot and cold rinses, Thayers’. No alum needed. Nivea sensitive.
    Aftershave: Jo Malone of London Citrus Bitter Cologne.

3 Passes plus touch ups:
    All went well, the Muhle R89 was on standby but was not needed.:)

Residual stubble: minimal right lower neck and Adams Apple area. Tough to negotiate the swirls in the valleys and hills down there.

Still not getting as much of the chin and neck area as I would like on the 1st pass.
    An overall Splendiferous shave. Love the Permasharp. Great blade feel with the Gillette, seems to have more ‘bite’, but happy I was not bitten.

4 Mar 23 small.jpg

Have a great weekend!

brit, Trigger, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  20. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

4th March 2023.

1.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
    Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Brown Synthetic. (Faux Horse)
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream.
    Razor: Merkur 34C. - Silver Star Super Stainless. (D1)

Cold water face & head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Alum Rub. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB./Milton Lloyd London 2000 EdT.

(Face & Head shave)

A new shave set up to start the weekend.

The Merkur 34C has wonderful balance to it. It feels good in comfortable in my hand, equally to the Muhle R89 which like the Merkur 34C is a great every day razor and think both provide a very good shave.

If i have to have a crit then the Muhle fit and finish is much better than the Merkur. The 34c along with the R89 where my first DE razors and I would recommend either to anyone along with the Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Vintage Gillette tech as great starter razors.

I normally use one of my SE/ injector razors for my Dome/Head shaves, but it's been a while since i actually used a DE razor and the 34C was a wonderful choice.

I started with the 34C, and I do not have hands like dinner plates, so for me the short handle is fine. I have come to appreciate the longer lighter handle of the R89, and the balance it provides....After I got acquainted with both razors I bit the bullet and progressed to the Muhle R41 of which i have to be honest and state my first few shaves where a horrible experience, but once i got my shaving confidence & my technique progressed I was rewarded with some sublime shaves.

The Silver star SS felt comfortable smooth & efficient paired together with the 34C wonderfully....If my memory serves me correctly the longevity on these blades is exceptional.

A close comfortable face and head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a ew small squirts of Milton Lloyd London 2000 EdT to the pulse points.

My face & precious swede are feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

ChrisB, brit, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.