30 Day Rule/Focus; May 2024. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Trigger, Apr 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi Everyone!

We are 1/3 through 2024. Time is going so fast! However, let's continue with great shaves by not moving too fast with our razors. Lol! Seriously, April was a great month for most of us getting great shaves. Kudos to all of you!

It's the beginning of May so most of us are entrenched with Spring except for @ChrisB, who is in the throes of Autumn. It's the ying-yang dynamic of seasons due to the 23.5 degree tilt of our planet. Ok, let me stop with the Earth Science lesson and get back to what's important and that is promoting this month's theme. In year's past, the traditional theme was May Mayhem. It promoted unorthodox shaving methods like pasting a DE Blade to a popsicle stick, taping a blade on your finger or using hot sauce as a shave cream, etc. Yeah, I am not a fan of the May Mayhem thing, but if you want to be creative in following that theme, then have at it. However, I will state that this thread will not be responsible for any injury you may sustain by doing any daredevil stunts.

Monthly Themes

In any event, I have a few suggestions for this month. The first is Menthol May. It is self-explanatory. Just get out your shave soaps and aftershaves that contain menthol. I think this is an appropriate theme for those shavers that live North of the equator because the weather is getting warmer. Ok, I am sorry. I won't go back to Earth Science discussions. Lol!

The second suggestion would be Merkur/Mühle/Ming Shi May. Yes, it's self-explanatory as well. It's time to bring out those razors and blades by these companies from your shave den. As a side note, Dovo is part of Merkur so if you have any Dovo items, then they will fulfill the monthly theme of the three M's.

The third suggestion would be Maximum May. If any one has an adjustable razor, than shave on its max setting. If you have never done so, then it's like killing two bird with one stone. You would be doing this suggested theme and a reasonably safe May Mayhem stunt. However, it may not be safe, but only you can decide. Lol!

The final monthly theme suggestion is Mix It Up May. This is when you pair your gear to other items that you wouldn't normally do. For instance, shave with one soap and use an unmatchable aftershave that may or may not complement a soap's scent. Maybe, use a more aggressive blade in a different razor. Of course, these themes are only suggestions. It's your shave and you can do whatever you want.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave.

The 30 Day Rule

Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

The Focus

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have some awesome May shaves and fellowship.

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  2. brit

brit in a box

fine intro Joe.:cool:continuing on with the reserve 3017 project,but with the usual array of gillettes and brushes.happy May everyone.:eatdrink047:

JACarbone, ChrisB, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  3. Trigger

Looking forward to you shaving with your vast collection of Gillettes my friend.

JACarbone, ChrisB and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe:):eatdrink047:

Trigger likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

-The-Midweek-Shave-
    w-2 canadian tech
    rubberset 400-3
    waves
    voyage

[​IMG]

good morning gents.
    the new to me w-2 canadian tech had a good run this morning
    no difference to the other few ,but i had to give it a good home..;)
    waves lathered well with another big boar knot.
    smooth 2 passer with minor pick ups
    matching splash and voyage to finish
    awesome
    have a fine day everyone
    :eatdrink047:

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Fine birthday shave this morning with the new soap PIFed to me by a gentleman here who needs no introduction, so I won't introduce him :). Great setup in the shower from Stoylin Liquid Bodywash. The Plissoft brush(from Razorock)did a nice job scooping up a good amount of soap. Zero across the board with cuts, Knicks, Polka-dots. Great work all around. Nice close from Chiseled Face Sherlock A.S. As Good As It Gets.

7. Trigger

Great start to the month Gary. I hope that whoever got the razor will appreciate it.

JACarbone, palmolive fox and brit like this.
  8. Trigger

It's a non-shave day for me. My inaugural shave for this month will be tomorrow morning. I already had the setup laid out yesterday.

9. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe,:):eatdrink047:.i meant My den was the new home..:D i rescued it..:eatdrink047:

JACarbone, Trigger, ChrisB and 2 others like this.
  10. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

2nd May 2024.
    Another great to a new shaving month Joe. I'll continue with my Ming Shi razor focus for my combined face & head shaves, and carry on with my usual assortment of eclectic shaving set ups with a few new items added to the mix.

JACarbone, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. palmolive fox

2nd May 2024.

44.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Bulldog Original Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
    Brush: Semogue 830.
    Face Lather.
    Lather: Boots Original Shave Stick.
    Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum. (4)
    Razor: Parker 92R.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, /Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse./Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.5 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel./Boots Freshwood ASL + ASB.

Greetings,

Early morning shave,

Another shave where everything worked together wonderfully....As always the inexpensive Boots Trio was a joy to use making my early morning shave a pleasurable experience. A great shave to finish my shaving week off and to start a new shaving month.

A comfortable 2 pass + pick ups silky smooth shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Boots Freshwood ASB.

My face is feeling cool smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

JACarbone, Trigger, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great intro and suggested themes, Joe!

I used to do the Cinco de Mayo "mayhem" shaves. For the last one I did, I shaved with a Gem-style SE blade that was "utility" or "industrial" grade rather than a coated and honed "shaving" blade. I used it in a paint scraper holder, so no safety guard, no angle guide, and the sharp corners on the blade were fully exposed and ready to bite. I managed to shave without any blood or razorburn, but it took at least five times as long as usual and was definitely not a relaxing experience.

I decided enough was enough and quit after that. I can bloody or razorburn myself quite sufficiently using a shavette without having to mess around with paint scraper blades and so forth. Mind you, I have quit using the shavette too...

It's still chilly in the mornings here, so cooling menthol isn't really all that welcome yet. I think I will use it this month but for Menthol Mondays only.

Other than that, I will probably do Mindless May. This will involve grabbing the nearest handy shave products without thinking too much about it. I suspect the shaves will look much like last month's, since the Arko stick is still on the sink.

Trigger, brit, ChrisB and 1 other person like this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Excellent shaves to start the month, gents!

Barry and Gary, nice pics to set us on the road. And Paul, congratulations on beginning the month with a totally blood-free shave!

wristwatchb, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. palmolive fox

Thank you John.

Trigger and brit like this.
  15. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Paul, nice shave!

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Thank you Chris...was pleased to do a great one on my birthday.

ChrisB, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Thank you...that was my goal :).

wristwatchb, brit and ChrisB like this.
  18. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

2 May 2024

Muhle R41 open comb Grande. Nice weight, don't really like handles too long, this one is a bit slippery but alum and dry fingers take care of that

Gillette Platinum (1)

Macca Root for a change. Such a nice cream, even after the shave is finished you just want to keep lathering up!

Razorock Plissoft 400 synthetic. Nice balance

Whiskey Woods, pleasant but quite mild, can easily apply heaps of this stuff

No damage, overall good shave

Happy Thursday one and all

02 May 2024.jpg

19. brit

brit in a box

thank you John.:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

cool shaves and pics gents :cool::bounce017::happy096:

ChrisB, JACarbone, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.